Impending Trans Doom... - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop

NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 17th August 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2008                                                
My Saabs: T5 Suited Stg T28++ 9-3
Default Impending Trans Doom...

...Came back from a 3 month Euro-trip and after a quick run to town and back I noticed a somewhat quiet metallic, rattling/rotating-contact sound emanating from the wheel-well. Thinking the worst(TOB), I put pressure on the clutch pedal-no change in noise-so then put the pedal to the floor. Upon doing so, the noise disappeared. In hoping for an easy answer I checked the trans fluid level, which is new MTF0063. Full.
Only does it at idle, in neutral. Given these symptoms I believe it could be one of two things; a bad pilot bearing (crap) or gear slop in the gear pack/lay-shaft brought on by 400+lb-ft tq. The gear slop issue is notorious for Aisin transmissions, especially on Mustangs and Mazda's. What say you? And how long have I got? New noise...
Thanks,
-Cm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 18th August 2012

Join Date: Aug 2010                                                
My Saabs: '97 900s 5dr, '97 900s conv

check the engine mounts first. i have a slowly dying transmission as well, but the rattling i was hearing under similar conditions was alleviated instantly by replacing both the transmission mount and the passenger side mount, which is a nice easy job. the trans mount rubber was cracked through and through.

i can only imagine that the gear slop is made worse when the clutch plate can jump away from the flywheel because the mounts aren't forcing the case/block together properly.
Old 18th August 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2008                                                
My Saabs: T5 Suited Stg T28++ 9-3

Car has new Poly/urethane everything. I also can't believe that the gearbox should rely on the mount to be held together....
-Cm
Old 19th August 2012

Join Date: Jul 2010                                                
My Saabs: 97 900se 2L T28 Stg3,09 9-3 2.0 5/6 spds

My 93 does the same thing. I was told its the throw out bearing, though i've yet to look into it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement