Anyone tunned last version 2.8T high real power? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-2X, 9-4X & 9-7X > 9-4X Performance, Mods & Tuning

9-4X Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the 9-4X

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 14th June 2012
SaabNut!

Join Date: Mar 2008                                                
My Saabs: 9000CC B202i MT '88 | 9-5 Aero AT '05
Default Anyone tunned last version 2.8T high real power?

After 345hp maptuned 9-5, i can't drive 9-4X, even with hirsch, feels a lot underpowered and i feel sad. I can't find tuned 9-4X, 9-5Aero 2.8T or even insignia OPC to more than stage 1

As far as i know auto tranny can handle 500Nm at best.. So i d' like to have that torque close to redline. As i see AT shifts at about 6100 so i will be able to have 430hp there, which will be fine.

Catless free 3 inch exhaust will probably add me up to 40hp with intake mods. But what more will i need? Other turbo? Will engine and XWD handle it? Who will be able to programm it correctly? Hirsch does not go far than stage1, maptun is not working with new saabs since factory is dead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29th June 2012
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Oct 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2011 9-5 Turbo4 Premium / 2008 9-3 AERO
Thumbs up

I would say contact Nick Talliferro at Genuine Saab, he has been working on some parts for his TurboX and I would assume (for a fee) he could probably get you larger intercooler that would bolt right up.

Also, check with JZW he has really been tuning the crap out of a customer's Turbo X. That guy kept the TD04 Turbo but went with a 19-T compressor. He might be willing to work on some protoype tunes with you and he can send you a PPC to tune with so you could do data logging, upgrades etc.

www.jzwtuning.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurwa311 View Post
After 345hp maptuned 9-5, i can't drive 9-4X, even with hirsch, feels a lot underpowered and i feel sad. I can't find tuned 9-4X, 9-5Aero 2.8T or even insignia OPC to more than stage 1

As far as i know auto tranny can handle 500Nm at best.. So i d' like to have that torque close to redline. As i see AT shifts at about 6100 so i will be able to have 430hp there, which will be fine.

Catless free 3 inch exhaust will probably add me up to 40hp with intake mods. But what more will i need? Other turbo? Will engine and XWD handle it? Who will be able to programm it correctly? Hirsch does not go far than stage1, maptun is not working with new saabs since factory is dead.
Old 12th July 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2010                                                
My Saabs: 9³ It go PSHHHH at MPS Tune stage 3
Garage

I dont know what they have over in europe tuning wise. I havent really dont my research on the 9-4x either but if the 2.8T in it is the same as our aero (9-3ss aero) then there are a few tuners here in the states.

JZW and vtuner.
Old 12th July 2012
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jan 2009                                                
My Saabs: 08TurboXSedanAuto;Jun08bld;VTuneStg2
Garage

You may wish to contact Nikolay
at S-p-e-e-d-p-a-r-t-s (unhyphenated) Russia

Coincidentally, Brian [VTuner] was just in your town as described (via Facebook)
in his "Moscow, Russia Tuning Trip June 17 -25 2012". There's a very tasty instance of "Stage 2 custom power from Vermont Tuning and hardware/engine fabrication by NGB".
VTuneStg2w'Super'20T+SnowPerformanceH2O/Meth;15mmH&Rspacers+18x7.5 X:235/45GMaxAS03;VentureshieldBra;PinnacleForm1tint35%/20% rear;Winter:18x8OZAlleggerita HLT,anthracite+235/45MichAlpin PA3;Sheepskins[Stateof9];DBarton4inMooses(!);KenwoodDnx7190satnav+steer cntrl+bckup cam.Graphics:Abshot,UK.Ferrita midpipe;intrcooler;Coilovers[Maptun];Hirsch3pc grill/Carbnlthrdash;GS 3"DP+Subfrmebrce+CAI;Chimerabatt@7.5lbs!

Last edited by North Toronto Punter; 12th July 2012 at 09:01 PM.
Old 17th August 2012
SaabNut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Toronto Punter View Post
You may wish to contact Nikolay
at S-p-e-e-d-p-a-r-t-s (unhyphenated) Russia

Coincidentally, Brian [VTuner] was just in your town as described (via Facebook)
in his "Moscow, Russia Tuning Trip June 17 -25 2012". There's a very tasty instance of "Stage 2 custom power from Vermont Tuning and hardware/engine fabrication by NGB".
They are not good enough.
Old 17th August 2012
SaabNut!

What a limits of 6 speed Auto and Haldex on 2.8T cars?

500Nm or ?
Old 24th November 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2006                                                
My Saabs: 06 93 2.0,93 9000griffin 92 900s LPT vrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurwa311 View Post

Have you taken a look at the ECUproject.com

You will what they are doing with the software to tune your car.
Old 24th November 2012
Saab Crazy

My Saabs: 08TurboXSedanAuto;Jun08bld;VTuneStg2
Garage

Kanundrum is on this -- and will Save the Day!
VTuneStg2w'Super'20T+SnowPerformanceH2O/Meth;15mmH&Rspacers+18x7.5 X:235/45GMaxAS03;VentureshieldBra;PinnacleForm1tint35%/20% rear;Winter:18x8OZAlleggerita HLT,anthracite+235/45MichAlpin PA3;Sheepskins[Stateof9];DBarton4inMooses(!);KenwoodDnx7190satnav+steer cntrl+bckup cam.Graphics:Abshot,UK.Ferrita midpipe;intrcooler;Coilovers[Maptun];Hirsch3pc grill/Carbnlthrdash;GS 3"DP+Subfrmebrce+CAI;Chimerabatt@7.5lbs!
Old 26th November 2012
Saab Lunatic

My Saabs: 2011 Saab 9-4x

Haha

Its all about the ECU and unlocking the encryption, that will open the floodgates to tuners

Right now as it stands the New 95 and the 94x use the E77 ECM from GM.

This ECM is encrypted and only HIRSCH has the unencryption access to actually tune the motor for both the 94x and the 95

Right now HP Tuners does not, how ever recently someone has been tuning a SRX (same ECM) so in all honesty its only a matter of time I think

3" Downpipe and Midpipe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ3nPLrEeRk
Old 26th January 2013
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Jan 2010                                                
My Saabs: 280-XWD Aero & a 2.0 XWD

I have to ask? If you have to have something that has the Griffin on the hood and power behind it, why not import a 9-7 Aero. You get to start at 390 horses and there is a catalog of LS options from bolt on superchargers, cams, plenums and spritzers that will make the puppy pull the fillings out of your teeth. I have never been pinned to the seat by a Saab but sure have with Chevy power. I know John Z. Williams and Per Eklund are indeed the exceptions.

Given enough money, you can make a meatloaf or refrigerator cut a 9 second quarter mile. Not good enough?

Did you get beaned by a Beemer or Merc crossing the street when you were a kid and are bent on revenge?

Kanundrum, I have almost no business sense but with the scant number of these cars made (does the Caddy crowd go for this stuff, they seem more staid?), is there the market to support any R&D that will translate to sales. How may "4's" were made?
Old 26th January 2013
SaabNut!

its simple 9-7x is not a SAAB and it is **** car all in all. just look it's crash test. Look inside, and im sure it handles badly.
Old 26th January 2013
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Jan 2010                                                
My Saabs: 280-XWD Aero & a 2.0 XWD

It's certainly as much Cadillac as it was a Saab. More badge engineering but they all do it to a point and it's nothing new. I came home from Europe all hot over the Ford Sierra my former rally partner and I rented in the early 1980's only to find a gussied up Mercury Merkur all fancy and overpriced. Or the "Porsche" 914 over here that was sold as a Ghia replacement in Europe, the 9000? Another joint venture so if you insist on a pedigree with known breeding from the finest "stock", well with Saab there is always a bar-sinister lurking in the woodpile and it may even be a Triumph tractor engine!

Even as a cross over the higher center of gravity is going to put it at a disadvantage wouldn't it? Think about it, how many different clubs are in a golf bag? Each machine, be it a club or car has limits. I wouldn't take a Turbo-X out during a Moscow blizzard but I sure would a 9-7X So you reject a relatively practical SUV and expect a "powder puff" SUV to corner like a Lotus 7 .. ??

I did look up the production run of this car and with like +/- 464 units of production and the Caddy putting the halt on the 2.8 motor from which to cannibalize or adapt parts, I just don't see the incentive for a private party to put into it. The only hope is a renegade with time to play just for the sake of doing it?

I read where that block is supposed to support up to about a 4.0 engine. Custom cam grinds? Are they available in Moscow? The way it looks you have a choice and that would be sitting and waiting like I did for Hirsch, or grabbing the Griffin by the nuts and do an old fashioned stroke and bore, polish and port, all of the old school traditional stuff. I threw this out the other day and a poster came right back with a cam so it sure can be done. I never plan on going much more with the 2.8 now (Vtuned), perhaps some exhaust and cat work, but spending will go toward my other more traditional car. Unless a 60's TVR and Ford 289 appear magically in my garage soon.

Hirsch made lots of fuss here about opening the US market and when they did, they left out the whole TX/2.8 line. Now, you have to ask why, since I waited to have my 280 bumped up a bit under warranty? First answer was that it did not comply with the California Air Standards, well it did and was on the list. Hirsch then said they were out of product. All you do is push a button and load the program so how do you run out? Pretty sure it was there since they did the Caddy BLS on the 9-3 line but with 320 hp instead of 280.

Well, good luck, but I think luck will come from a good machine shop and parts that can be easily adapted from other GM livestock.

It seems you already have what you are looking for with the TX? Low for handling and performance no? What is Per Eklund's magic? Over here I can't find a thing written much less a pic of his motor. Damn, just last year he raced about 70 miles from me and I found out only a few days later.

It's late winter and all the "thoughts get to wanderin'" so goes the folk song. I guess there is nothing wrong with winter dreams. Good luck and let us know how you pull this off.

Last edited by TunnanXWD; 26th January 2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old 26th January 2013
SaabNut!

9-4 is fine in handling, not as good as low center of gravity car, but standard brakes and power is more of a problem

It was up to 200km/h with nokian hakka 7. There was no any hard maneuvers in the video, but a bit faster than average driving feels like you drive regular sedan, like 9-5.

About the power engine is not the problem, i found opel users tune 2.8 up to whatever you want 500, 600, 700. But the problem is auto tranny which can give you about 420hp at max, and XWD system. I don't know who much can XWD handle but i feel it is less than auto gearbox and not easy to tune. But even if you want to go for 420~hp it is a lot of money, to build engine, since original 330hp 2.8 is close to its limits as i understood.
Old 26th January 2013
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnanXWD View Post
I have to ask? If you have to have something that has the Griffin on the hood and power behind it, why not import a 9-7 Aero. You get to start at 390 horses and there is a catalog of LS options from bolt on superchargers, cams, plenums and spritzers that will make the puppy pull the fillings out of your teeth. I have never been pinned to the seat by a Saab but sure have with Chevy power. I know John Z. Williams and Per Eklund are indeed the exceptions.

Given enough money, you can make a meatloaf or refrigerator cut a 9 second quarter mile. Not good enough?

Did you get beaned by a Beemer or Merc crossing the street when you were a kid and are bent on revenge?

Kanundrum, I have almost no business sense but with the scant number of these cars made (does the Caddy crowd go for this stuff, they seem more staid?), is there the market to support any R&D that will translate to sales. How may "4's" were made?

Caddy crowd is all about adding features that the Saab Usually comes with like HID's etc. No one I have met on the caddy forums are really talking about improving the car except for a few folks who do tuning (but not on the 2.8 motor).

It comes down to this, the Crossover/SUV is great, I can see where its SAABish and I can also see where GM quality comes into play. Is it tough owning a car with only 457 units made world wide, yes. At the end of the day just depends on how much your willing to work, in my case Ill do anything to keep this car.

Old 11th February 2013
SaabNut!

Join Date: Dec 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2008 93 2.0T 6MT VTuner Stage 1 300 hp!
Cool

We just added support for the NG 9-5 2.0T last week - I am pleased to announce that today we have added support for the 2.8T 9-4X!

PM me if you are interested ( I know you are kanundrum!)

Cheers,
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanundrum View Post
Caddy crowd is all about adding features that the Saab Usually comes with like HID's etc. No one I have met on the caddy forums are really talking about improving the car except for a few folks who do tuning (but not on the 2.8 motor).

It comes down to this, the Crossover/SUV is great, I can see where its SAABish and I can also see where GM quality comes into play. Is it tough owning a car with only 457 units made world wide, yes. At the end of the day just depends on how much your willing to work, in my case Ill do anything to keep this car.
Old 11th February 2013
Saab Lunatic

crap

and here I sold my freaking HPtuners (its also lost in transit somewhere too)

Sending you an email brian

Old 11th February 2013
SaabNut!

Join Date: Dec 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2008 93 2.0T 6MT VTuner Stage 1 300 hp!

HP Tuners does not support the 94X and never will as far as I know, but we have a solution for you that is superior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanundrum View Post
crap

and here I sold my freaking HPtuners (its also lost in transit somewhere too)

Sending you an email brian
Old 12th February 2013
SaabNut!

Can you pm me also?
Old 2nd April 2013
Saab Lunatic

http://www.vtunerperformance.com/?page_id=401

Upgrading your 9-4X Aero was never easier! We have coaxed another 35hp and 105 lb-ft from the A28NER 2.8T engine to raise the power output to 335 hp / 400 lb-ft!
Stage 0 (335 hp/ 400 lb-ft Upgrade)
- Flashable Tune Via Handheld
- No Laptop Required
- High Speed Data Logging
- Updates Via Email
- View And Clear Diagnostic Trouble Codes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement