where to start tuning my car & T5suite confusion. - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible > Saab NG900 & OG9-3 Performance, Mods & Tuning
Saab NG900 & OG9-3 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the Saab NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 24th July 2012

Join Date: Mar 2012                                                
My Saabs: 1998 900SE
Default where to start tuning my car & T5suite confusion.

hey guys, i drive a 1998 SAAB 900SE w/ manual tranny and after owning my car for a while ive finally allowed myself to start tuning. but i have a few issues and questions.

1. how far can i tune before i ruin the car? i love my saab, i would like to tune but i dont want anything breaking like the SID. so how far can i tune with it still telling me accurate data on mpg or DTE or even the temp outside? my issue is i want to keep the outside and inside as stock as possible with everything working as intended.

2. i know what T5suite is and such, but it seems hella confusing and dangerous. im not comfortable with working on the ECU of my car. hardware is one thing but ive never touched an ECU tune ever. i searched this forum and such and i havent found much helpful to my issue. i really need to know where to start and whats easiest for someone with 0 skill on this application.

im assuming stage 1 is where i wanna start but from my end it seems the most technically advanced of the stages. if someone could provide a guiding light for a noob itd be nice. though im sure all ill get is flak for asking stupid questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 24th July 2012
Saabista

Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
My Saabs: Black on black '97 Saab 3-door SE Turbo

The best thing you can do is to get another ECU, copy it to your existing ECU and modify that ECU. If something goes wrong, just swap the original ECU back into the car... Ron
Old 24th July 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by '97 Saab SE Turbo View Post
The best thing you can do is to get another ECU, copy it to your existing ECU and modify that ECU. If something goes wrong, just swap the original ECU back into the car... Ron
yeah i read that, which makes me quite worried about something going wrong.

what about this guy?: http://jzwtuning.com
Old 24th July 2012
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jul 2007                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-3

Can't go wrong with JZW.
Old 24th July 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2010                                                
My Saabs: 99 9-5 V6 SE, 99 S Coupe, 01 SE Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranzeroxklaus View Post
hey guys, i drive a 1998 SAAB 900SE w/ manual tranny and after owning my car for a while ive finally allowed myself to start tuning. but i have a few issues and questions.

1. how far can i tune before i ruin the car? i love my saab, i would like to tune but i dont want anything breaking like the SID. so how far can i tune with it still telling me accurate data on mpg or DTE or even the temp outside? my issue is i want to keep the outside and inside as stock as possible with everything working as intended.

2. i know what T5suite is and such, but it seems hella confusing and dangerous. im not comfortable with working on the ECU of my car. hardware is one thing but ive never touched an ECU tune ever. i searched this forum and such and i havent found much helpful to my issue. i really need to know where to start and whats easiest for someone with 0 skill on this application.

im assuming stage 1 is where i wanna start but from my end it seems the most technically advanced of the stages. if someone could provide a guiding light for a noob itd be nice. though im sure all ill get is flak for asking stupid questions.
Probably the safest path is to install a used cross flow intercooler from a later 9-3 and a Genuine SAAB ;upgraded ECU. You'll also need either a turbo to IC hose from a standard performance 9-3 from 2000 thru 2002 (2003 vert) or build a hose with easy to find mail order bits. (The earlier Viggen hose will work too)

Those two mods would get to you to about 225 HP with essentially 100% safety.

JZW's tunes are rock solid, but pricier. With just the cross flow IC, he could get you noticeably more power than the GS tune.

After that, you'd need to improve your exhaust system and as you move further up the HP scale, an even larger intercooler, larger turbo, bigger fuel injectors and a higher flowing fuel pump.

Using T5 Suite will require a BDM or CAN interface. The BDM will be a bit less than the GS ecu, the CAN will be more and you'd need a spare ECU (and perhaps some electrical and soldering skills). The nice thing with T5 Suite is you can update the tune in the ECU with each change you make to the car. That can really keep the cost of tuning the car down, a real plus! Most of the changes can be done very easily with the Tuning Wizards, but those tunes are pretty generic.

With the proper mods to the engine, you can easily achieve some pretty impressive HP ratings without endangering the engine and turbo.

The real question, just how much power are you looking for and how much are you willing to spend to get that power?
Old 24th July 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2007                                                
My Saabs: '00 9-3SE Auto, SOLD '97 900 HX35 4??bhp

Go with a GS tune. Just because a tune makes more power doesn't make it better.

T5 suite isn't bad, spend some time on ECUproject and search the forum there before asking too many questions.

-Branden
Old 25th July 2012

My Saabs: 97 900se 2L T28 Stg3,09 9-3 2.0 5/6 spds

I just went through this recently, well sort of. I ended up gonig with the CANusb and tuning myself. Starting out i made it alot harder than it should have been but i'd say it's alot easier than it seems like if your just gonig for a straight flash. I'm still learning and playing around with the other stuff.

I'd say if your just going for a 1 time tune its worth it to have someone else do it.

The main reason i did it myself was that i plan on doing alot of upgrading over the next year and i didnt want to have to constantly send my ECU out. Also my friend has a 98 900se so i was able to tune his car aswell, stage 2 on his made it alot more fun to drive, so it ended up saving me alot of money. Plus i like to tinker with stuff myself.
Old 26th July 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by win_k View Post

The real question, just how much power are you looking for and how much are you willing to spend to get that power?
well, its my DD so i was thinking stage 3 would be my limit. also a full suspension upgrade. i want it to look as stock and sleeper-ish as possible so i wont be doing any external mods. that means all my money can go to the important things.
Old 27th July 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Apr 2010                                                
My Saabs: 97 900se Talladega stage 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by comtrang View Post
Go with a GS tune. Just because a tune makes more power doesn't make it better.
Well, it doesn't make it worse Either .

My JZW runs great.
Old 27th July 2012
Saab Lunatic

My Saabs: 99 9-5 V6 SE, 99 S Coupe, 01 SE Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranzeroxklaus View Post
well, its my DD so i was thinking stage 3 would be my limit. also a full suspension upgrade. i want it to look as stock and sleeper-ish as possible so i wont be doing any external mods. that means all my money can go to the important things.
Stage 3 is basically the cross flow intercooler and a upgraded downpipe along with the changes to the ECU. Call it 250 HP, makes a good limit, going past that requires quite a bit more in bits, parts and pieces.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement