Please help!!!!!! Car broken on vacation! - Page 2 - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Workshop

9-5 Workshop 9-5 Workshop (1997 to 2010) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 7th May 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Apr 2007                                                
My Saabs: 1999, Cayenne Red 9-5, 2.3 Wagon

Congrats! Glad that my time digging through the WIS is useful...

Happy Vacation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 8th May 2009

Join Date: Jul 2004                                                
My Saabs: '87 900 T16 vert, 911 SC,914,W123 Diesel

Thanks again guys.

We made it to LA without trouble!

PHEW, we were really worried there however.
Old 8th May 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2008                                                
My Saabs: '03 9-5 Aero, 08 9-3, '89 C900LM

I love a happy ending...I wish more saab stories ended like that lol.
Old 14th July 2012
SaabNut!

Join Date: Feb 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2001 Saab 9-5 Aero, 2010 Mazda3i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by woywitka View Post
So the service advisor came back with a smile.

He said "good news"

Turns out after a good inspection that the problem was a corroded/loose connection to the Trionic module. This agrees well with the engine codes. The tech 2 gave a different code than the autozone one however, but I'm sure all is well. When I pulled into the dealer the car was acting up REALLY bad.

Findlay Saab in Las Vegas is excellent. they charged me no labour, which I know from experience they could have easily tacked on for the labour on top of the Diag.

$122 even, and it included a wash.

My girlfriend and I won more than $200 so we are very happy that we "won the car back" and paid for our Hotel.

Thank-you all for your help so much, the support on this forum really helps.

Big thanks to Al and Wulf becuase it was YOUR information that helped me point the service team in the right direction. He genuinely cared.

Hope this was the issue.

woywitka,
do you know exactly what cable or where the problem actually was? I literally just got all three codes (P1622, P1625, and P1701) after my engine heater hose exploded and got coolant all over the engine bay. I'm assuming some of the coolant got on a cable and that is what caused the problem but I'm not sure where it might be originating from.
Old 15th July 2012
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 320hp, 2003 Aero Hirsch "Clone"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcox44 View Post
woywitka,
do you know exactly what cable or where the problem actually was? I literally just got all three codes (P1622, P1625, and P1701) after my engine heater hose exploded and got coolant all over the engine bay. I'm assuming some of the coolant got on a cable and that is what caused the problem but I'm not sure where it might be originating from.
THe ECU its ude the cowl ( black plastick thing under the wipers) at the passenger side A very thick wrapped cable goes through the fire wall there
Old 15th July 2012
SaabNut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jssaab View Post
THe ECU its ude the cowl ( black plastick thing under the wipers) at the passenger side A very thick wrapped cable goes through the fire wall there
I assume you are talking about the one going along the firewall on the top side to the plug that is right above the coolant bypass valve, correct? I did unplug that cable and you contact cleaner to make sure there was no corrosion in the plug. Should I look at the cable that goes through the firewall and make sure there is nothing there? Is there another plug anywhere inside the engine bay that would cause these codes (i.e. the CPS sensor wire)?

Thanks for the quick response Jssaab.
Old 23rd July 2012
SaabNut!

BUMP

Still an issue here. I got home from my trip and my car has started half the time. The other half, I still get the same three codes and the engine turns over but never catches, just keeps turning. Any ideas?

Could this be a bad battery?
Old 23rd July 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2012                                                
My Saabs: Elskerinne..'02 Saab 9-5 HBSaabs stage 3

Quote:
I assume you are talking about the one going along the firewall on the top side to the plug that is right above the coolant bypass valve, correct? I did unplug that cable and you contact cleaner to make sure there was no corrosion in the plug. Should I look at the cable that goes through the firewall and make sure there is nothing there? Is there another plug anywhere inside the engine bay that would cause these codes (i.e. the CPS sensor wire)?

Thanks for the quick response Jssaab.
The ECU is under the wiper cowl, see this thread for pictures of exactly where it is
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=237028
Old 24th July 2012
SaabNut!

Thank you TankTak.

I took my car to an indie here in Waco and they have diagnosed the car as having a bad ECU. Total cost to replace.......$1400. Ya not going to happen. I still don't understand how the ECU could be bad and allow me to drive 5 times without issue and then all of a sudden while driving go into limp home mode and give me a 1701. Does this sound right to anyone?

Again, this all started occurring once my heater hose blew and got coolant all over the engine bay.

I really need some other suggestions....
Old 24th July 2012
SaabNut!

Join Date: Mar 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-5 Aero - BCB Stage 2
Garage

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you could find a used ECU for <$100 and install it yourself.
Old 24th July 2012
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by philselmer View Post
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure you could find a used ECU for <$100 and install it yourself.
While that is true, you still need to have it married to the car via tech II

After searching that P1701 code I came across this thread
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=79649
Maybe check the rear o2 sensor and its connectors as they may be corroded and giving false readings which causes the car to go into limp home
Old 24th July 2012
SaabNut!

I would assume that if an o2 sensor was messed up, the tech2 would give a code for that, right?

It could be a possibility though since coolant could have damaged it. The only other thing I could think of is if the CPS was causing this. The heater hose the exploded was right above the CPS and I can see exposed wires on the CPS.

Either way, it doesn't make sense to me that the car can function fine for multiple drives and start right away and then go directly into limp home mode, lose the tach, lose the temp gauge, give me a cel and the major engine malfunction light, and then just turn over and over again on the next start. And when this does happen, all I have to do is wait an hour or two and it will start right up no problem.
Old 24th July 2012
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
I would assume that if an o2 sensor was messed up, the tech2 would give a code for that, right?

It could be a possibility though since coolant could have damaged it. The only other thing I could think of is if the CPS was causing this. The heater hose the exploded was right above the CPS and I can see exposed wires on the CPS.

Either way, it doesn't make sense to me that the car can function fine for multiple drives and start right away and then go directly into limp home mode, lose the tach, lose the temp gauge, give me a cel and the major engine malfunction light, and then just turn over and over again on the next start. And when this does happen, all I have to do is wait an hour or two and it will start right up no problem.
you said u had a p1701 code so that right there would be rear o2 sensor if i read right. and yeah cps would cause no start symptoms, i would pull it off and check it over and clean as necessary and reinstall, or replace entirely
Old 24th July 2012
SaabNut!

Ok, so I went and picked the car up and it drove just fine back to work. They gave me the diagnosis sheet and showed me that their Tech2 gave them a P1622, a P1623, and a P1460. The 1460 is the immobilizer being active. I had not gotten that one before. They are still saying that it is the ECU.

I'm still wondering whether this is a CPS sensor issue. Since the CPS was right under where the coolant leaked, and the sensor is messed up, it could explain why this problem does not occur until the car is warm. Once the car is warm and I shut it off, the car will not restart and will just turn over and over again.

I am at a loss. I really don't want to pay for a used ECU and have them change it out if it is not the solution.
Old 24th July 2012
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Ok, so I went and picked the car up and it drove just fine back to work. They gave me the diagnosis sheet and showed me that their Tech2 gave them a P1622, a P1623, and a P1460. The 1460 is the immobilizer being active. I had not gotten that one before. They are still saying that it is the ECU.

I'm still wondering whether this is a CPS sensor issue. Since the CPS was right under where the coolant leaked, and the sensor is messed up, it could explain why this problem does not occur until the car is warm. Once the car is warm and I shut it off, the car will not restart and will just turn over and over again.

I am at a loss. I really don't want to pay for a used ECU and have them change it out if it is not the solution.
hot start symptoms is the cps, change that before anything else and see if it still happens
Old 26th July 2012

Join Date: Jan 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-5 ARC

Hey, just jumping in here as I have had similar errors. 1622,1623,1625 and 1805. It only occurs when the weather is hot, and I'm stuck in traffic. Drops the car into limp home mode and CEL on. No speedo, RPM, A/C

This happened to me last summer as well, took it to a independent where we proceeded to put $3k almost into it changing the ABS module and other stuff… it still happens when it get's warm. All winter/fall/spring no issues.

So it clearly indicates to me that something overheats, and then throws the code. As I said only occurs when it's hot and I'm stuck in traffic, no airflow under hood to cool things down. On hot days without traffic, no issues at all. So if anyone has ideas please, feel free to jump in.
Old 31st July 2012

Join Date: Jul 2004                                                
My Saabs: '87 900 T16 vert, 911 SC,914,W123 Diesel

So sorry I missed this! I gave up on this forum a while ago after Chris 9-5 and the original site owners turned out to be absolute jerks and started pulling some stunts like total losers.

Anyways, off my soap box.

The cable was the main connector to the ECU IIRC. I don't actually know off hand, this was a while ago.

Don't think just because the codes are the same it is the same issue. Basically my main harness to the ECU was screwing up so you could have a faulty ECU; however, T7 9-5 ECUs are not known to go bad randomly.

Do any of your gauges in the dash go nuts?

Last edited by woywitka; 31st July 2012 at 12:29 AM.
Old 31st July 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9⁵ Aero "Griffin" JZW⁵
Garage

Hey - remember that you can reset your car out of limp mode:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement