QTP exhaust cut-out... - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Performance Mods & Tuning - ALL ENGINES

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Performance Mods & Tuning - ALL ENGINES Covers GENERAL Tuning & Performance modifications that are *non-engine specific* in nature

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 16th July 2012

Join Date: Jul 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2011 9-3 2.0T
Default QTP exhaust cut-out...

Hello all,
Quick question. I have a 2011 9-3 2.0T and looking into some performance upgrades. After looking at the various stages of tunes through different people, anything other than a stage 1 or 0 requires catback or turboback exhaust. The back of my car is soo clean without an exhaust cutout and i want to leave it that way! I was curious if i was to put a QTP on it if that would suffice for the aftermarket exhaust. Also, where would i put it? right after the downpipe or after the first cat? Thanks for looking and any help would be appreciated!!!

http://www.quicktimeperformance.com/QTEC/index.php

Last edited by 9-3VaBch2.0T; 16th July 2012 at 04:34 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16th July 2012

Nobody knows a good answer?
Old 16th July 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2010 9-3 aero 2008 9-3 sport

It would be installed right after the dp, or on the dp if there's room (haven't looked at the stock exhaust yet). I've used cutouts on my old neon srt-4, and they worked fine until they stopped sealing completely, and needed to be replaced or rebuilt.

It would suffice for aftermarket exhaust only when it's open, which I would assume would be like 1% of the time once you have it on for a while. The sound is really annoying from inside the cabin. Lots of noise and drone. They are good for track days though. When not upgrade your exhaust and replicate it like factory? Just turn the tip down before the rear bumper like oem. No need to cut anything up.

I bought a 2002 neon r/t, and installed an srt-4 interior, engine, and trans. I kept the neon muffler installed, and used a dp with the cutout installed. When closed it sounded like a normal neon. When open it would shoot a 12" flame when shifting at wot. That car surprised a lot of people. I think it went 13.1 with the cutout and custom programming on the pcm.
Old 16th July 2012
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2012                                                
My Saabs: Vtuned 2.0T

Just get an aftermarket exhaust and install a dolphin tip on the muffler. Dolphin tips are angled downwards like the stock hidden saab tips are.. replacing an exhaust tip is relatively simple.
Old 17th July 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb88 View Post
Just get an aftermarket exhaust and install a dolphin tip on the muffler. Dolphin tips are angled downwards like the stock hidden saab tips are.. replacing an exhaust tip is relatively simple.
but im still going to get the sound all the time...i want the car completly quite except when i want to get on it
Old 17th July 2012
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2012                                                
My Saabs: Vtuned 2.0T

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9-3VaBch2.0T View Post
but im still going to get the sound all the time...i want the car completly quite except when i want to get on it
How do you figure? If you wan't a performance exhaust to be quiet you just increase pipe diameter and install some key components. An open exhaust isn't going to sound good at all.. Get an exhaust made with 1 muffler, 1 or 2 resonators, and a race cat as close to engine as possible.. Will sound stock at idle but aggressive at wot.. Plus it's turbocharged engine it will never be as raspy or loud as a N/A open exhaust. Plus you can't just run a tune made for a race exhaust on a stock exhaust half the time.. You'd probably end up with some frothing because the fuel wouldn't burn right and start making its way into your oil... Fast, cheap, reliable.. pick two. If I were you I would buy all of my components for my exhaust like the muffler, cat, tip, resonators and a downpipe then go to an exhaust shop and have them install it all with your desired pipe size.. that way they don't have to fab the downpipe whcih would be the most expensive part and all they have to do is chop some pipe and weld it to your compenents.
Old 18th July 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2009 9-3 Vector SS, 2008 Turbo X SS

Check out this thread for a QTP instal on a 9-3;

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=188380
Old 22nd July 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nijee View Post
Check out this thread for a QTP instal on a 9-3;

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=188380
He installed them after all his piping, right before the muffler...i dont see the point in that because the objective is to cut all of that out and just run an open header...if i was to put it back there everthing would still be running through the cats and everything...
Old 22nd July 2012
Super Moderator

Join Date: Jul 2008                                                
My Saabs: owns a volvo?

You would still have the stock downpipe with a cut out?
Thats fine if you never tune past stage 1... if you want more power then your gonna have to get a bigger downpipe.

Also the cat on our cars are 6" from the turbo, your not gonna fit a cutout in between there.... judging by the few threads ive seen, it looks like you need to learn a little bit about your saab before you go diving into mods.
I'm not trying to be mean at all or insult your intelligence it seems you know a good amount about the aftermarket, just not enough about your own car
Old 23rd July 2012

Join Date: Mar 2012                                                
My Saabs: 04 9-3 Arc 2.0T

Get a DMH electric cutout, one of the best you can buy for the price (Doug's being the best but most expensive). I had the DMH on my Trailblazer SS. It ended up being about $400 for the cutout and install. When open, it seriously sounded like a NASCAR. It ended up being a waste of money, I never used it much and there was a noticeable loss at low RPM's.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/n...IMAG0785-1.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement