2002 9-3 SE "Vlad" mysterious coolant leak - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop

NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11th July 2012

Join Date: Mar 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2002 SAAB 9-3 SE, 2005 9-3 Linear
Default 2002 9-3 SE "Vlad" mysterious coolant leak

Hi All,

Hoping for some insight here. My '02 9-3 SE AT is having a mysterious coolant leak that I cannot figure out. After regular summer driving (95+ degrees out) "Vlad" will dump about 2 cups of coolant on the garage floor AFTER he's mostly cooled down. This means that after he's parked for about 30 minutes the coolant will dump out. I've already replaced the reservoir cap, but that did nothing. I cannot catch the moment when the coolant comes out to see the location. It appears that it comes from somewhere near the driver's-side front wheel (US car). When I look around from above and below, nothing looks obvious. Though I don't think it's relevant to this problem, the turbo boost is not smooth. It surges somewhat awkwardly. Hope somebody has encountered this coolant issue and can enlighten me. My wife now avoids him and he's starting to get a complex.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11th July 2012
Saab Sage!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: '96 900S, Automatic with 148K miles, blu

The care and feeding of Vlad.....
Is the level at the reservoir correct ?
He may be too sensitive here..

I'd do a coolant system pressure test, using some dye, if the fingers cannot reach all possible leak points.
173K miles in the good ole USA
Old 11th July 2012

Join Date: Mar 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2002 SAAB 9-3 SE, 2005 9-3 Linear

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthworm View Post
The care and feeding of Vlad.....
Is the level at the reservoir correct ?
He may be too sensitive here..

I'd do a coolant system pressure test, using some dye, if the fingers cannot reach all possible leak points.
As an English teacher, I appreciate your abstract poetic response, almost a haiku. Yes, he's too sensitive, but it's only because he wants to please so much.

Once he leaks himself, the level in the reservoir drops accordingly. A typical event will reduce the reservoir amount by about 1/2" - 3/4".

Is it possible in anyway that the new cap is the culprit? I'm really hoping for a cheap fix.

Thanks for the advice; looks like a pressure test may be the only way.
Old 11th July 2012
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Oct 2009                                                
My Saabs: '97 NG900 'vert; '03 OG 9 'vert

Earthworm often speaks with a slight riddle, but great points of wisdom are within his words.

Can you pin down the location a little better with some frequent checking? Perhaps remove the air shields under the front driver's side to let it drip more directly to ID the location?

On that side the possibilities are the coolant bottle (connection or cap); the upper radiator hose; or the "hard pipe" that the coolant bottle hose connects to on the way to the water pump. There are also a couple heater/TB hoses on the manifold on the right side of the engine.

Or do EW's pressure test... that usually let's you see leaks that might not show up otherwise.

You can also look for white residue near a hose connection - that might indicate a leak pint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement