Drilled and or Slotted Rotors? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Performance Mods & Tuning - ALL ENGINES

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Performance Mods & Tuning - ALL ENGINES Covers GENERAL Tuning & Performance modifications that are *non-engine specific* in nature

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 6th July 2012

Join Date: Jul 2011                                                
My Saabs: 07 9-3 2.0T
Garage
Default Drilled and or Slotted Rotors?

Are they worth the money? I live in Colorado and do drive some in the mountains. I am also a pretty spirited driver and probably go a little faster than I should most of the time. Do the slotted rotors have any impact on the life of the pads or rotors?

Are they worth the extra money?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 6th July 2012

Join Date: May 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2003 Saab 9-3 Linear

If 100 people answer you'll get 100 answers. I have cross drilled on my Mercedes. Helps to cool the disc down quicker. I've heard that the slotted rotors tend to wear out pads quicker, but I don't know that for sure. My sons Saab has regular. When we have to replace we'll probably go with cross drilled.
Old 6th July 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2006 Saab 9-3 2.0T JZW Stg 3

on our cars, the biggest improvement would be better brake pads. ebc redstuff are good.

2007 BMW 335i Coupe - JB+ & Alpina TCU Flash
Old 6th July 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2007                                                
My Saabs: '07 9-3ss ARC

i wouldnt waste the money on slotted or drilled, unless you did a "big brake kit".
Old 7th July 2012

Garage

Thanks for the replies. I went with just the standard rotor, but I did get a better pad. I am just doing the rear for now, the fronts are still good. When they go bad I will probably do the ebc redstuff pads.
Old 9th July 2012
SaabNut!

Join Date: Dec 2011                                                
My Saabs: 9-3 2.8T aero (2006) JZW Stage 3+

theres hardly any benefit in everyday driving, i have them purely for the looks, over here you can get them for about the same as regular discs anyway
Old 11th July 2012

Join Date: Sep 2011                                                
My Saabs: 06 Aero JZW Stage 5

www.brakeperformance.com has supercheap rotors. I bought the drilled and slotted for the extra rice factor. I didn't notice any differences. Braking is now louder ,and the brakes looks better.
Old 11th July 2012

Garage

Being in Colorado my only thought was mountain driving. Keeping the brakes a little cooler in theory should make them last longer. Some of the hills out here a pretty long and downshifting in my car does me little to no good, so some times the brakes can get a little warm. In either of my Jeeps downshifting will keep me at a speed with little acceleration, but the Saab just wants to go, I blame the turbo.

When the fronts go bad I will probably try some drilled ones just to see if I can notice a difference. Prices I have found are close enough to the regular rotors that I am not afraid to throw a little extra money at the car just to see if they are better or not. I will spend extra on the pads though.
Old 11th July 2012
SaabNut!

Join Date: Dec 2011                                                
My Saabs: 9-3 2.8T aero (2006) JZW Stage 3+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Kev View Post
Being in Colorado my only thought was mountain driving. Keeping the brakes a little cooler in theory should make them last longer. Some of the hills out here a pretty long and downshifting in my car does me little to no good, so some times the brakes can get a little warm. In either of my Jeeps downshifting will keep me at a speed with little acceleration, but the Saab just wants to go, I blame the turbo.

When the fronts go bad I will probably try some drilled ones just to see if I can notice a difference. Prices I have found are close enough to the regular rotors that I am not afraid to throw a little extra money at the car just to see if they are better or not. I will spend extra on the pads though.
the drilled/slotted discs are only of benefit when the brakes get hot {ie they cool down quicker} so in your situation they would be ideal for you
Old 11th July 2012
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Apr 2009                                                
My Saabs: 04 93 arc espresso black

They make no difference, its the pad compound that is so heat dependent. If you get them hot enough to brake fade the pads you need new pads. If you get performance high heat range pads hot enough to brake fade you might need slotted or drilled, but if your getting them that hot chances are you will crack your rotors which is why blanks are better for day to day. Also blanks provide more surface area for better stopping power, and blanks are quieter and the do not eat pads as bad.

i rule your internet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement