BSR Stage three on 205k mile Aero? - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > Saab 9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning
Saab 9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the Saab 9-5

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 27th June 2012

Join Date: Jun 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2002 95 Aero Wagon
Default BSR Stage three on 205k mile Aero?

Hey guys - some of you may have saw in my other thread that I was looking at, and ended up purchasing a 2002 9/5 Aero Wagon. The car has been well maintained, I'm the third owner and I have the complete maintenance history. 204k on the car, it's been through a few DI Cassettes, a fuel pump, it got the PCV updates as soon as they were available. Original clutch, nice and strong too. Timing chain is silent. The car has a 3" turbo-back exhaust, and a BSR PPC stg 3 tune. It runs top notch, and is darn fast. Excellent fuel economy as well. I can't find a thing that it needs right now, other than slightly worn motor mounts a valve cover gasket that I'm content to just let weep a touch for now.

My question is about the tune - I've been doing a lot of reading about these cars, and the tunes people run. I understand the T7 is pretty touchy, and that the 235 internals, pistons in particular, are pretty close to the edge and won't tolerate or forgive much detonation or leaning under load. I was looking for 9/5 Aero dyno graphs and stubbled onto a couple with some disturbing a/f ratios and discussion. Some blamed the BSR tune, some a dirty MAF, others heatsoak. Looks like this wasn't an isolated issue and there was enough of this to create a reputation to some extent of BSR being a "dangerous" tune.

So, my topic for discussion is twofold, first, is there much truth to the BSR tune dangers, or has this been essentially ruled out by now (everything I found on the topic was quite dated by several years)? Secondly, what do you guys think about pushing a 204k mile motor with stg3? It's been on there for quite a while, and has had no issues to date. I certainly don't feel the 3600rpm lean spot a few people were showing on dyno-graph, the car pulls solidly through 2000rpm to redline in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear. So maybe it was a more isolated incident with just a few people. I don't intend to run the car real hard all over the place, but I do like to make a few "max effort" runs here and there. Should I be worried about this, or just enjoy the car? Anything preventative I should check or do to ensure safety, I've seen some suggest cleaning the MAF...

Anyways, appreciate your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 27th June 2012
Banned

Join Date: Sep 2011                                                
My Saabs: BUICK: building a better Saab

For insurance I'd at least have an upgraded intercooler over stock. Lower charge temperatures will keep you further away from detonation and increase power at the same time.

Watch your gasoline grades. If you have an open SID you can montior knock thresholds like I can with JZW tune on my cars. A wide band oxygen sensor will help sooth your doubt or get a dyno with WB O2 stuck in the tail pipe.
Old 4th July 2012
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 320hp, 2003 Aero Hirsch "Clone"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm95 View Post
For insurance I'd at least have an upgraded intercooler over stock. Lower charge temperatures will keep you further away from detonation and increase power at the same time.

Watch your gasoline grades. If you have an open SID you can montior knock thresholds like I can with JZW tune on my cars. A wide band oxygen sensor will help sooth your doubt or get a dyno with WB O2 stuck in the tail pipe.
^^^^ Agreed X100000

I had a BSR tune and every so often it woudl knock an ping like crazy ( I had to be very particualr about fuel grads AND BRAND!)

THat said I sold the tuned ECU to a mamber for his 150K car and hes had it ( no DP exhuast or IC) on his car for nearly 100k more no issues...

but I woudl check on a dyno just to be safe (and a wearing part like AFM can mess up a tune right quick)
Old 4th July 2012

Join Date: Aug 2009                                                
My Saabs: 9-5 Aero Estate (Stage 4 BioPower)

Two reliable and very experienced T7 Suite tuners told me that BSR set the threshold of warning signals at a level where most people don't want to go.
Old 11th July 2012

Join Date: Jun 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2002 95 Aero Wagon

Yea, I'm thinking about a JZW tune and ETS intercooler - I heard it knock/ping tonight once or twice. Oddly, it was as cold as it's ever been since I bought the car and I was finally seeing full, unheatsoaked perfomance, which is basically blowing the tires off even from a smooth roll on in first, to blasting through second much quicker than when it's 20* warmer out. But I also did catch it ping once or twice, usually pulling through that lean-out the BSR is known for in the 3000-3500rpm range, and maybe once or twice near 5000rpm. The car runs so well with these cooler temps, I know I'm going to be tempted to play around more. I did fill up at an unfamiliar station, so I'm going to give it a few chances at my regular place, but if I have to baby it because I get a spark-knock, I'm doing a different tune for sure. Probably can unmarry and sell the PPC for enough money to subsidize the JZW tune entirely.
Old 11th July 2012
Banned

Join Date: Sep 2011                                                
My Saabs: BUICK: building a better Saab

What sparkplugs and how old? JZW will rewuire you to run BCPR7ES. It's a conservative tune.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement