how hard is a total interior swap? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning

9-5 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the 9-5

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 17th August 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Oct 2008                                                
My Saabs: 91 900 turbo resto.
Garage
Default how hard is a total interior swap?

im totally just thinking outta the box here. i dont know if im going to do this or not. lol. i just wanted to ask you guys how hard a total interior swap would be?

wellll i guess not total. ya see. i have the tan interior and its nice and everything but i would really love to have black. n a red car with black interior hell yeah! haha

i was thinking about swaping the rear seats and the driver n passenger seat to black? i would keep the dorr panels tan as i think the black/tan combo would be pretty cool. what do you guys think?

could i get used seats from a junker for pretty cheap?

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/389851...bo-cd-sedan-4d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17th August 2009

Join Date: May 2007                                                
My Saabs: 9-5 Aero 2000

Seats are relatively easy to get in and out. Fronts ones aren't too hard, just becareful you don't pull or cut any of the wires in your eagerness to rip them out.

Not sure on the colour scheme, but then we all like something different!
Old 17th August 2009
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Feb 2004                                                
My Saabs: MY00 Saab 9-5 Aero Wagon

Hi there,

If you're talking about leather seats then they wont be that cheap from a scrap yard... I swapped the seats on my old 9-5 for leather the swap out will take an hour or so. All pretty logical in the end and easy enough to do. If you can get your hands on some nice aero leather heated and ventilated seats it would be a nice little upgrade.

Not sure about the carpet but I'm sure once you have the seats out it should be handy enough.
Old 17th August 2009

Join Date: Jan 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2005 Black 9-5 2.3lpt Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachc View Post
im totally just thinking outta the box here. i dont know if im going to do this or not. lol. i just wanted to ask you guys how hard a total interior swap would be?

wellll i guess not total. ya see. i have the tan interior and its nice and everything but i would really love to have black. n a red car with black interior hell yeah! haha

i was thinking about swaping the rear seats and the driver n passenger seat to black? i would keep the dorr panels tan as i think the black/tan combo would be pretty cool. what do you guys think?

could i get used seats from a junker for pretty cheap?
Funny someone should bring up this subject at this moment . . .

I was and still am thinking of do a complete swap, grey for tan, including adding the sunroof to my 2005 9-5.

I got a mechanic to remove the entire interior, incuding the sunroof of a 2002 Aero that was headed for the scrap yard.

I have since given up the idea on the sunroof. I had wanted to cut a hole slightly bigger than the roof and add in the rails etc etc. But they recommended that I take the whole roof off at the A,B & C pillar. That was too much for me

Now the Tan interior swap. The seats and door cards was easy, so was the carpet but there are 3 - 4 panels that are attached to the dash . . . which means taking out the dash out . Again it was a little too much for me . . . I won't want to remove the whole dash unless it was necessary to fix a problem, like doing a manual conversation for instance. ( by the way, this project is on going on my friend's car, will update on the other thread I started.)

Anyway since the Tan interior has been stripped, I am holding on to it until I get the urge again or when it becomes necessary to take the dash out for a certain repair job, not many IMO . . . . .
Old 17th August 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2008 Turbo-X, 1994 c900 CommEd

It would be a VERY easy, fun project to swap the seats out. Even if you did want to do the door cards and carpets it's not a difficult job. If you want to get into replacing the dash with the grey knee bolsters though is when it gets hairy. If you wanted to change the color of those I'd probably get some vinyl spray paint and tape everything off.... You better find 2002+ Aero seats if you're going to do this though. They DO fit. Just make sure you disconnect the negative battery cable before unplugging the seats or they airbag light come on.

Old 17th August 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Oct 2008                                                
My Saabs: 91 900 turbo resto.
Garage

what are the dash knee bolsters? haha

why 2002+ aero seats? are they more comfortable? the only difference i know of is the grain or something is different...

i think i might do this since i only want to swap the front and rear seats to black. maybe the carpet as well. tan door panels would look cool with black i think.

ima start looking arounddd wish i knew were my local junkyards were if there is any...

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/389851...bo-cd-sedan-4d
Old 17th August 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
My Saabs: 02 95 aero

2002 + aero seats have side bolsters and are MUCH more comfortable than the previous. if you are going to look for ventilated aero seats, start looking 03+
Old 17th August 2009
Saab Lunatic

Knee bolsters are what your knees would bash into in a car accident, incuding the glovebox door. They're tan in your car, and the 9-5's with black interior have grey panels there.

The 2002+ Aero seats are VERY comfortable and definitely different from the plain seats. Most people compare them to leather couch recliners when they sit in my car. You just get sucked in between them. Bigger people don't appreciate them as much because they don't usually fit between the side bolsters, haha.

Look carefully...

Old 17th August 2009
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jul 2008                                                
My Saabs: '02 9-5 Aero, '08 TurboX, '08 9-5 Aero
Garage

My black 02 Aero seats are the second most comfortable car seats I've ever had. The first being my old 06 S60r with the Atacama leather interior. I love how my back fits in the side bolsters in my Aero.
Old 18th August 2009

Join Date: Jul 2009                                                
My Saabs: 9-3 Vert and Viggen

This is a lil different then what you are asking. The Swap will be a challenge. I have installed the interior from bare metal to complete in 3 days and im only 20 years old to im guessing stripping would take maybe 2 days? Anyways if you are interested in seeing my work check out www(dot)cardomain(dot)com/id/saabertoothtiger and check the viggen. It is possible i had never stripped a saab before so it was more challenging for me bc i had a more difficult time figuring everyhing out. If you need help Let me know i'll do my best to assist you.
Old 18th August 2009
Saab Lunatic

For the 9-5 if you're not pulling the dash I can't see removing the interior taking more than an afternoon. Everything it put together rather simply. Installation may be more time consuming, but not because it's difficult. There's just a lot to do.
Old 15th November 2009
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2002 9-5 SW 2.3t Vector St1 210hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by raquettelaker2 View Post
Knee bolsters are what your knees would bash into in a car accident, incuding the glovebox door. They're tan in your car, and the 9-5's with black interior have grey panels there.

The 2002+ Aero seats are VERY comfortable and definitely different from the plain seats. Most people compare them to leather couch recliners when they sit in my car. You just get sucked in between them. Bigger people don't appreciate them as much because they don't usually fit between the side bolsters, haha.

Look carefully...

These all black leather seats look so good...im changing the door panels for the black leather ones and this will be the next thing ill do (my seats are part textile part gray leather) if i can find some 2hand ones..

That interior with a carbon fiber dash would look just perfect. Although my 2002 9-5 has more gray through the dash instead of the darker black tone of 2004-05 which looks better too
Old 16th November 2009
Saab Lunatic

My Saabs: 2000 9-5 Aero

I've got a 2000 9-5 Aero with the black interior. I have heated and ventilated seats but I desire the 03+ Black Aero seats. If I can ever find a nice set for the front, I will gladly pick them up. Mine are in very good condition so I am in no hurry.

I did a complete interior swap in my 9000 besides the dash. I got the carpet, door cards and seats. All of that was really easy. I feared that the dash was going to be very difficult so I didn't try. It went from dark blue to dark gray though, it it's hard to tell the difference unless you're in the sun. I'm not sure how hard it would be for the 9-5, but I can't imagine it taking more than a day or so.
Old 20th November 2009

Join Date: Nov 2009                                                
My Saabs: 9-5 estate MY99. Hirsch Performance

I have 99 9-5 estate with vented heated seats. they are flat type. i dont like it. is there any posibility to get any saab seats with bigger side holders - bucket seats (maybe aero?)
if yes - what year model? vented, heated?
Old 20th November 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
My Saabs: 02 95 aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex_lt View Post
I have 99 9-5 estate with vented heated seats. they are flat type. i dont like it. is there any posibility to get any saab seats with bigger side holders - bucket seats (maybe aero?)
if yes - what year model? vented, heated?
The seats with side bolsters (aero seats) started in 02, but they were not available ventilated until the 03 aero
Old 20th November 2009

Join Date: Nov 2009                                                
My Saabs: 9-5 estate MY99. Hirsch Performance

so it is posible to mount 2003 aero vented seats with side bolsters into my MY99 9-5 and connect all functions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ski View Post
The seats with side bolsters (aero seats) started in 02, but they were not available ventilated until the 03 aero
Old 28th June 2012

Join Date: Jun 2012                                                
My Saabs: 99 9-5SE, 01 9-5 Parts Car

I know this is an old thread, though I've been searching for a dew days and can't find anything helpful...

I'm swapping my tan interior for black interior and I want to swap the knee bolsters on the dash. I don't know if you can remove just the bolsters or if the whole dash needs to be swapped out... Either way, I am looking for some instructions on how to remove/install it.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Old 28th June 2012
Saab Lunatic

My Saabs: 2000 9-5 Aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewparent View Post
I know this is an old thread, though I've been searching for a dew days and can't find anything helpful...

I'm swapping my tan interior for black interior and I want to swap the knee bolsters on the dash. I don't know if you can remove just the bolsters or if the whole dash needs to be swapped out... Either way, I am looking for some instructions on how to remove/install it.

Any help would be very much appreciated.
The knee bolsters were always a place I never wanted to go. I don't know how hard it would be able to completely rip out the dash. I have gotten as far as the seats, carpet, door cards, dash front, and the dash top. However, I feared the knee bolsters would be too difficult to try, so I never did. If you try, take MANY pictures and document here if you could. It would really help out future attempts made by us =]
Old 29th June 2012
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jun 2010                                                
My Saabs: 1998 2.3t 9-5 Saloon.

Took me an hour to remove a Black Leather interior inc Doorcards, Auto Dim mirror and armrest. That was front scratch. The hard part is changing the heat pads from my fabric interior to the leather. Where's that thread gone, ad can't find it anywhere...
Old 3rd July 2012

Join Date: Feb 2010                                                
My Saabs: 93 Viggen / 95 Aero
Default saab dash and more swap

hello i have swapped everything out of my 01 to black i even put a 08 black dash in mine i have viggen seats as well. i had my head liner and carpets dyed as well. I even had my dash trim redone. you could say the whole car is blacked out other then my rims and valve cover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement