Just Bought a 9000. It won't move. - Page 2 - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9000 > 9000 Workshop

9000 Workshop 9000 (1985-1998) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 18th June 2012
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Nov 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1989 saab 9000 1992 9000 1993 9000

I find the squeaky noise odd and I did not hear the rhythm of a bearing; however, the engine stayed at the one speed. On simpler designed engines we would remove the fan belt and run the engine to eliminate the turning of the water pump and generator bearings. If the noise persisted, we knew it was in the cam or crank.( But again you say the engine dies right away) I suppose somehow one could do the same to a Saab 4 cylinder. You would have the hydraulic belt tensioner to contend with, but if you can hold that together with some wirer and pull the belt off I do not see why starting it for a minute would hurt anything at this point. Some of the guys like Jim M probably have a more refined method for isolating the noise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 19th June 2012

Join Date: Jul 2007                                                
My Saabs: 1994 9000 Aero

I have no idea what that sound is, but it sounds bad. The fact that it coincides with the engine dying makes matters worse.

get that vehicle to a mechanic ASAP.

Folks are asking you what you paid. This is important. A '98 in good shape (with blown motor) is still a good deal if you have nice interior and didn't pay much.

Good luck....
Old 19th June 2012

Join Date: Jan 2012                                                
My Saabs: 1998 Saab 9000 CSE Turbo; 2003 Saab 9-5

So either way this is going to require the engine out i suppose. All I can hope for is that this complaint against him gets him to pay for the repairs.

I payed $4800 for the car, which i thought was good for a nice running car with a good body and interior, but I'm thinking differently with this engine situation.
Old 19th June 2012
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jan 2007                                                
My Saabs: 1988 9000tmcd,1994 9000tmcd aero
Default start

hi, at least two noises or perhaps 3(btw i'm deaf--just joking!!!).electrical,a light metal rubbing and possibly an external knock.big ends are a deep knock, usually. are the alternator and starter motor securely mounted? is the gearbox/transmission also scurely mounted(rubbing spacer plate) it could also be a shattered clutch pressure plate if it's a manual. it is worth persevering if the car wasn't overpriced to start with.( i couldn't access the link from your message a problem my end i would say--cut and pasted it to firefox). love that car.cheers
Old 20th June 2012

Join Date: Jan 2012                                                
My Saabs: 1998 Saab 9000 CSE Turbo; 2003 Saab 9-5

Thanks for all the insight and help you guys have given. I've made plans to tow it to a good Saab shop tomorrow to get it fixed. Hopefully soon I'll be driving it.
Old 24th June 2012
SaabNut!

Join Date: Apr 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-5 2.3L Aero

For $4800 I would NOT put any money into that car. I got mine in great condition minus a motor that the previous owner didn't put any oil in for a nice 150 mile trip for $2000. Not knowing why it was failing emission I took it to a mechanic where he found a crack in the block. The mechanic knocked off the labor fee (it was probably around 20 hours) and it came out to around 3000.

I would file a complaint and maybe sue his *** for selling you a clearly broken car. IF you can find him...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement