Questions You think are too stupid to ask (9-3SS) - Page 152 - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 21st June 2012
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Mar 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-3 arc sedan
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmTodd View Post
The only thing I can figure out with the ACC is that is starts out in non-recirc mode to push the super hot air out, then switches to recirc to cool the cabin down. Once it reaches the desired temp it switches back to non-recirc to maintain the temp. Mine's goofy like that too.
Glad mine isn't the only one... It's very annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 21st June 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2006 Saab 9-3 2.0T JZW Stg 3

mine too. i can tell when it switches because the air smells different lol

2007 BMW 335i Coupe - JB+ & Alpina TCU Flash
Old 26th June 2012

Join Date: Jun 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3 Vector

I have a quick question about a noise from my new to me 2003 9-3 Vector. It sounds like lifters, coming from the timing chain side. After reading, and listening to the thread by M.Papillion "Balance Shafts", it does not sound like the chain, or tensioner. Listening to what he posted, the chain guides/tensioners is more of a metallic sound. This is just lifter type sounds. Is this a correct assumption? That its a metallic sound if its the chain/guides?

Runs fine otherwise, just want to make sure that I am not ruining anything by driving it. If it is lifter noise, and not normal, what can I do to help reduce it?
Old 2nd July 2012

Join Date: Jul 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9-3 Lime Yellow Arc Conv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnarlyCharlieOx View Post

ANYWAY, My SID is showing "steering wheel lock malfunction" almost every time I put my FOB in, it wont let me turn it, I have to take it out and put it back in 3-4 times and then the message goes away and everything works.

Any idea on whats causing this? I have tried switching the ignition and wire harness, the batter was checked and its fine, only 2 years old. Alternator is fine. I'm out of ideas.....
Newbie here, but have experienced this a few times as well. Hope there's a simple answer....
Old 2nd July 2012

Join Date: Jul 2012                                                
My Saabs: '99 9-3 and '08 9-3
Default Questions about newly purchased '08 9-3

Hello Saab people! I just bought this car after previously owning a 1999 Saab 9-3 Hatchback for 8 years. Actually I still own the '99 but this is now my daily driver: http://www.eurofixsales.com/2008-Saa...-37129/3823655

I'm not an expert on cars or Saabs, but I do love them. So please don't make fun of me for not knowing these answers. I'm a busy working mother and I don't have a lot of time to research these topics.

1. I hate the black on the tail light covers. Can I switch my '99 old tail lights and put them on the '08? Probably not but worth a shot, right... If not, what are my options to get tail lights without the black?
2. I am gonna miss my seat warmer come winter time. I'm sure it would be exorbitantly expensive and/or impossible to install them, is this correct? If not, what are the options?
3. How do I turn off the automatic door locks when the car is running?

Thanks in advance. I really appreciate it.

Misty
Old 3rd July 2012

My Saabs: 2006 9-3 Aero Conv, 2011 9-5 Turbo4 Prem
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisHill View Post
okay for the record i have an 04 93 2.0t vector

2- my brake calipers are already silver.. why would anyone paint them? .. aren't everyone elses silver?

7- would everyone completly shun or kill me if i made my own "angel-eyes" for my headlights? (i know how to do it the right way without the kit)

i'll probably add more.. haha
#2 My calipers are silver. No idea if that was original or not.

#7 What are angel eyes? Is that the lights where the rim is lighted while the center is not? If so, what's the right way?

Where are you in SC? I'm here temporarily thanks to Uncle Sam.
Old 4th July 2012

Join Date: Jun 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2008 9-3 2.0T

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistybc View Post
Hello Saab people! I just bought this car after previously owning a 1999 Saab 9-3 Hatchback for 8 years. Actually I still own the '99 but this is now my daily driver: http://www.eurofixsales.com/2008-Saa...-37129/3823655

I'm not an expert on cars or Saabs, but I do love them. So please don't make fun of me for not knowing these answers. I'm a busy working mother and I don't have a lot of time to research these topics.

1. I hate the black on the tail light covers. Can I switch my '99 old tail lights and put them on the '08? Probably not but worth a shot, right... If not, what are my options to get tail lights without the black?
2. I am gonna miss my seat warmer come winter time. I'm sure it would be exorbitantly expensive and/or impossible to install them, is this correct? If not, what are the options?

Misty
I don't have the answers to those questions but it looks like you got a great deal. I really like that color on the 08-'s.
Old 4th July 2012
Super Moderator

Join Date: Oct 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9³SS Linear

Quote:

Misty
1. 99 lights won't swap. If you want to you could swap for the red taillights form 2003-2006(?). Guarantee most people would swap you as everyone wants the newer lights.
2. Yes it would be expensive. Would need seats with warmers, add the dashboard switches and then have the dealer activate them.
3. Dealer needs to disable it using Tech2.
Old 4th July 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2006 Saab 9-3 2.0T JZW Stg 3

Quote:

Misty
i'll trade you lights

2007 BMW 335i Coupe - JB+ & Alpina TCU Flash
Old 5th July 2012

Garage
Default Clear Bra

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanInAustin View Post
When searching eBay using the word "Saab", I found this seller's interesting product - a clear film bra (roughly akin to that used for tinting) which goes over the front of the hood and lower bumper.

http:// .com/4hhbf8

In general, are these a Good Idea or are they just a gimmick? I'm wondering if the paint will age differently and the result will be an unintentional two-tone effect.

Comments would be appreciated.

Alan
Relatively new to the site and slowly working through the 800 pages of this thread, so apologies if this is answered (checked the next 20 posts or so and did not see anything) or it the OP has moved on. I saw a Volvo the other day that had something like this (I think, as the link is broken). It was a clear plastic placed right on top of the paint (like a stone chip protector). I've seen these before and thought they might be good for places the regular stone/bug deflector don't cover or when you don't want to have one of those. On this particular car, however, the plastic had developed cracks in spots all over. It looked like the paint had cracked up, but I looked very closely at it and it seemed to be the plastic on top and not the paint itself that was cracked. Either way, it seemed like a good idea until I saw this. It doesn't really matter if it's the plastic or the paint, the look/effect is the same and the repair is the same (re-paint).
Old 5th July 2012

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanage View Post
Hi All,

I have just put a deposit down on a 2006 9-3 Aero Convertible v6 2.8
I'm upgrading from a 1988 Saab 900T Convertible which has served well!

I have a few questions before I collect! (being impatient as I am! )

Can the hood be programmed to open via the remote? The dealer said that was a factory setting only(!) is that really true?

Thanks in advance!
For this one question, I think you should be able to hold the unlock button on the remote to get the hood to fold away automatically.
Old 5th July 2012

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridenbaugh View Post

the '-' on the remote does turn the lights on I think its called lead me to car or something dumb like that.
I think it's actually "follow me home."
Old 5th July 2012
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Apr 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 Aero VTuner Stage 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by 124saab View Post
I think it's actually "follow me home."
Follow Me Home is when you have the key out, drivers door open, and pull the flash to pass. Low beams and reverse lights will come on for a period of time.

1994 Ford Explorer | 4.0 V6 5MT | Time to get muddy!
Old 5th July 2012

Garage
Default So, how do I get a TECHII and remove the (non-existent) dealers from the equation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserRed9-3Aero View Post
No problem.

Yes it's a TechII thing, but no, you're not going to get it to work.

The auto-open feature that you're describing is called "ComfortOpen". That feature is available or standard on the 9-3, depending on the trim line and the year.

The auto-close feature that you desire is called "ComfortClose". That feature is not available in the US because of the fear of lawsuits. I've read a couple of posts by people that say they got their dealer to enable it back in '03 or '04, or they own a really early-build '03 that has it. But I've not heard of anyone in the 2 years I've been here that have successfully gotten ComfortClose enabled. If you do somehow manage to get this enabled, you must share the news with the rest of the group because there are a lot of us here that would like to have it.

When my dealer did my DRL disable, I also asked them to try to enable ComfortClose. As I mentioned, they gladly did the DRL disable, unlike most dealers. But they couldn't do CC. The service manager told me that they tried several different things to enable it, but the system just would not let them do it. According to him, it's just wasn't possible on a US-market car.
With all of the things that we can or can't do because of TECHII, how can we get our hands on it? Seems they owe it to use since so much on the car is controlled by it and the company is now bankrupt. Lots of software contracts have a clause that forces the software author to disclose their source code if they go out of business...

Cost would probably be prohibitively high (and there would be all of those "you're going to misuse it to steal/vandalize cars" concerns). Just griping/thinking out loud. Maybe we should make a reverse-engineering project a site teamwork thing.
Old 5th July 2012

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaserRed9-3Aero View Post
Oops. You are 100% correct. Just checked the paperwork. ComfortOpen was not standard. It was part of the Touring Package. That included the memory seats, auto dimming mirror, park assist, and rain sensing wipers.

Since my car does have the Touring + Cold Weather packages, I forgot what was standard and what wasn't.
Ok, time for my own dumb question. I bought my car used. When I looked at it, the window control pod on the driver's door was in poor aesthetic condition, but seemed to work except for the fact that the driver's window would sometimes decide something was in the way after it got completely closed and would fully open. You could play with it and inch it up a little at a time, but I told the dealer this was unacceptable. They replaced the pod and all seemed well. When I next used the Comfort Open, the driver's window didn't go down. I took it to the local dealership (I bought out of town) and they said they couldn't reprogram the pinch protection to make the system work properly because the wrong part had been installed. I'm wondering if this is possible or just a snow job by the GM dealer. It looks the same, it fits the same, it seems to work the same. Is it possible that a pod from a different model fits and works (almost, but not entirely), or is the local GM dealer just ignorant?
Old 5th July 2012

Garage
Default What is NOTP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mihai View Post
No, there is no way. That's the way it was meant to be by Saab, apparently in order to keep away any distraction and keep your eyes on the road.
What does NOTP mean on the SID?
Old 5th July 2012

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs View Post
The fuel filter is integrated with the fuel pump. It is a nonserviceable item.
Ok, I might have done a dumb thing. I bought a fuel filter from Advance Auto because I was going to replace air filter, plugs, and fuel filter. The site said it was a direct fit for my 2006 Convertible 9-3 Aero 2.8L V6, so I bought it. Figured I'd get on here later and figure out where it would go, but this makes me think I just wasted some money. Is it different for my car, or should I take the filter back?
Old 5th July 2012

Garage
Default Trunk latch above license plate?

I've made it to about page 57 in this thread. I saw a dozen pages or so ago that someone asked about this latch, but there haven't been any answers yet. My trunk (06 9-3 Aero Convertible 2.8L V6) has a soft rubber 'latch' above the license plate that feels like it depresses and should open the trunk, but it doesn't do anything (whether the doors are locked or unlocked). Is it supposed to open the trunk? Is this another TECHII thing? Is it a Saab didn't put this in the car thing?
Old 5th July 2012
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jul 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2005 sport convertable 2.0t

Quote:
Originally Posted by 124saab View Post
I've made it to about page 57 in this thread. I saw a dozen pages or so ago that someone asked about this latch, but there haven't been any answers yet. My trunk (06 9-3 Aero Convertible 2.8L V6) has a soft rubber 'latch' above the license plate that feels like it depresses and should open the trunk, but it doesn't do anything (whether the doors are locked or unlocked). Is it supposed to open the trunk? Is this another TECHII thing? Is it a Saab didn't put this in the car thing?
Well mine works, but perhaps it is a different spec in the USA to the UK.
Old 5th July 2012
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Sep 2011                                                
My Saabs: 06 93 2.0T CV 5MT Maptun stage 1-Tech2

It's a tech II thing... My trunk only opens with fob or arm rest button.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement