car starting problems please read - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible > Saab NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop
Saab NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop Saab NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 16th June 2012

Join Date: Jan 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2002 9-3
Unhappy car starting problems please read

90% of the time i turn my key the car starts...
the other 10% when i turn my key nothing happens...no turning, no clicking..all the power kicks on but nothing happens... imagine turning your key and hearing all the electrical kick on but no engine.

i do nothing but leave the car alone for a while then go back and it starts...this is not good when I am pressed for time and there so far has been no magic procedure to guarantee a start once it does this.

it's not a bad battery connection...this is all i have...i obviously have some sort of break in relay from the ignition to the starter...but it is very random. suggestion would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16th June 2012

Join Date: Jun 2012                                                
My Saabs: '00 9-3
Default Ditto

I've been experiencing it for a while now. Usually i have to wait anywhere from 1 - 10mins. At worst about 20mins - I have yet to find the cause of it. I heard it could be a faulty 'Neutral safety switch'. Not too sure
Old 16th June 2012

Default starting probs continued

i just read the sticky thread concerning engine not starting...

the fuel pump and cps were both replaced over the past year...

as for the DIC it would seem strange for this to only start some of the time..this has been going on for a couple years with no luck and the DIC has not gotten worse. As a matter of fact i will go through periods of several months with good engine startups.
Old 16th June 2012

mine range from immediate to a couple hours. engine code reader doesn't recognize anything.
Old 16th June 2012
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2012                                                
My Saabs: '98 900SE Manual

1st thing I would do is see if power is getting to the starter relay from the key. If not, then the fault lies between the relay and the ignition switch.
Old 16th June 2012

Join Date: Jun 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-3 SE Vert + 2006 9-3 2.0T SS

it sounds to me like a neutral safety switch (range switch) issue, assuming it's an automatic.. if you have someone else with you and the car will not start, find the switch and try tapping on the switch with a long object (in my case, an ice scraper does the job) while the other person tries starting the car. the switch is kind of buried to the left under the battery.. the nss costs around 375 bucks minus the labor to replace
Old 22nd July 2013

Join Date: Jun 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-3 coupe

from the research i have gathered, it is more than likely the neutral safety switch if it is an automatic.

unfortunately this has started to occur on my car and i will need to get it fixed.
Old 23rd July 2013
SaabNut!

Join Date: Sep 2009                                                
My Saabs: '02 9-3 SE Hatchback, RIP

Seriously, why are you resurrecting every old thread about NSS problems?
Old 1st August 2013

Join Date: Jul 2013                                                
My Saabs: 2002 saab 9-3 convertible
Default car not starting

I had the same problem recently with my 2002 convertible and it is an automatic. the NSS is quite pricey but there are alternatives to replacing that switch. I had a bypass button put in that when this happens infrequently you leave the car in park turn the ignition to the on position and push the button and it starts right up. You only have to use this when you find your car is not starting the normal way. This corrected my problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement