Exhaust Options - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab C900, 1979-1993 & '94 Convertible (C=classic) > C900 Performance, Mods & Tuning

C900 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the Classic 900 (C900)

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 6th June 2012

Join Date: Oct 2009                                                
My Saabs: 00 95 GF Wagon 94 C900 Turbo Convertible
Default Exhaust Options

I just recently bought my first Classic Saab 900 Turbo, and I was curious to see what exhaust will fit the car properly along with whats the best one to buy, my car is a 94 and a convertible so I don't want anything too loud.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 6th June 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Apr 2008                                                
My Saabs: 89 T16 3dr 5sp

Are you looking for stock or a performance exhaust? If stock then you have plenty of options. If you want a performance exhaust and quiet then you will have to build a custom system from scratch.
Old 7th June 2012

Join Date: Oct 2009                                                
My Saabs: 00 95 GF Wagon 94 C900 Turbo Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saab named Jag View Post
Are you looking for stock or a performance exhaust? If stock then you have plenty of options. If you want a performance exhaust and quiet then you will have to build a custom system from scratch.
Performance would be best but I wouldn't mind using stock pieces to make up the exhaust
Old 7th June 2012
Saab Lunatic

Well if you want stock and quiet then check out eeuroparts they have some good, (and inexspensive) kits.

As far as performance and quite go then you are in a differrent ballgame. That is exactly what I was looking for when I built my system. I used 2.5 mandrel bent tubing from the downpipe back along with a 2.5 performance cat from magnaflow (cheapest I could find) and used a free flow magnaflow muffler. (I believe it was 14" long) Use the longest muffler you can fit to achieve a quiet system. I think I could have gotten away with a few more inches long. Total cost was around $300 but I welded the whole thing myself.

Overall the bigger tubing and magnaflow is a bit louder than stock but not by a lot, and it has a really smooth tone (not raspy).

Thats what I did, search youtube for sound clips of different mufflers
Old 7th June 2012
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Nov 2011                                                
My Saabs: 1991 Saab 900 turbo convertible, AT

I posted some details on another thread in here, but I ended up going with a 2.5 inch "system" from the downpipe to the tailpipe, with a new universal catalytic converter, Thrush all-welded chambered muffler (center inlet / offset outlet), and a glasspack resonator. This pic shows the piping, cat, and muffler. The resonator is by the front lift rack, and was installed between the cat and muffler, to tone it down a bit:

I usually get the cats, mufflers, and glasspacks from Summit Racing. On my Saab, I think the universal cat was around $70, Thrush muffler was $35, and glasspack around $30.
Old 13th June 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2005                                                
My Saabs: `68 96V4; `69 Sonett V4; 2Xc900 airflow

Anyone care to give opinions on Simons exhaust http://www.simons.se/Katalog/SAAB/SA..._900_Turbo.htm exhaust? Good? Worth the money?
Old 14th June 2012
Saab Lunatic

I've heard great things about the simmons exhaust. A bit on the loud side though but not terrible. The only reason I built mine over buying a simmons was I need a catalytic converter to be legal here and the simmons doesn't have provisions for one.
Old 14th June 2012

Join Date: Feb 2005                                                
My Saabs: SPGCLONE

Been happy with mine. Throaty but not loud.

I'm running a homemade 3" downpipe to an Ebay Magnaflow 22832. Then used Eeuroparts # 9333857 intermediate pipe along with #8822280 Starla muffler. Followed with Ebay #220962110126 Tailpipe from Stevelewissaab. All bolt on parts.

Stickershock on the tailpipe though, was not that much when I purchased it. Back then it was more like high 200's shipped.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement