What is a typical Saab driver/owner? - Page 5 - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Cafe > The Lounge

The Lounge For general discussions

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11th June 2012

Join Date: May 2012                                                
My Saabs: 9-5 Turbo Wagon

DM114 reminds me of students in my classes when I was a TA... I have very little hope for the English language

Not trying to pick a fight though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11th June 2012
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Aug 2007                                                
My Saabs: '99 9-3 Coupe Stage 3
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwasson View Post
I have very little hope for the English language
what bought you to that conclusion?
Old 1st October 2012

Join Date: Oct 2012                                                
My Saabs: Saab 93 1.8T biopower 2007
Smile

I'm also driving a lovely turbo saab 93. I'm M.Sc. Eng and currently working as an IT engineer. My husband is mechanical engineer and we love our saab! We are into cars, especially unique cars like saab ;-)
Old 1st October 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2008                                                
My Saabs: Down to one, an 87 900 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rarelibra View Post
135 is supposed to be "genius" level, and anything above it becomes more rare and incredible.

When you consider that 95% of the population falls within 2 standard deviations of the mean quotient (100) and the "range" of the 95% is from 70 to 130, it starts to put a bigger picture on the "joke".

Such an IQ puts CBA in the top 0.1% (or 99.9th percentile) of the intelligence.

Interestingly enough, the US military standardized test (ASVAB) generates certain scores, one of which is the "GT" score. It is found to be an almost direct correlation (+/- a few percentage points) with a person's IQ. Thus, for a member of the military to be a commissioned officer, their GT must be "110 or above" (with an IQ of 110 or above being "above average").

Just got back to this thread.... then I guess with my IQ.. I am really rare (181)
1996 BMW 318 Ti Sport
Old 1st October 2012

Join Date: Jul 2012                                                
My Saabs: '07 9-5 sedan
Garage

If we're going to post bios, why not. After all, I'm bored at work subbing in for someone instead of doing my regular job.

21 single male.
I'm working as a lot porter for another two weeks til I run my dealership's rental program.
MY 07 9-5 is the first car I bought on my own.

I like being weird and different but also just on the periphery on everyone's radar. I love to learn and I'm only a college drop-out because I can't let myself live without making an income and I couldn't do school and work full time my first year in.

I'm fairly easy going. Love "1984" by George Orwell and I'm generally not too picky what I like. Everything just has a time and place for me, sometimes a mood too. Always been into cars and fell in love with saab when I found this old stick 900 vert at a bank near by when I was 15/16. I tried for a loan but no one would help. My other oddities I liked but couldn't get were an 89 Buick Reatta and a 95 Subaru SVX. (I truly am weird I guess.)
Old 1st October 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9⁵ Aero "Griffin" JZW⁵
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad-machine View Post
Just got back to this thread.... then I guess with my IQ.. I am really rare (181)
You don't wear a beard and sandals, do you?
Old 1st October 2012
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jan 2012                                                
My Saabs: 1996 9k Aero
Garage

NOT THIS GUY I hope

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-19787459#
Old 1st October 2012

Join Date: Jul 2012                                                
My Saabs: '07 9-5 sedan
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossypossy View Post
Lol, couldn't find a better photo. Lol.
Old 2nd October 2012
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Aug 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2008 9-3 Aero

Here's another bio while we're at it:

I'm a 25 y.o. female, BA in Web and Interactive Media Design and I work as a Web Developer. I am definitely a bit odd and love working in an environment where Trekkies are readily accepted, people are playing a Magic game at lunch everyday, and people know what 'cosplay' is and are allowed to geek out at any given time, no matter their age. I could go on and on...

I learned to drive in a Saab and it was my first car. I'm on my third now, the last two only being replaced because they were genuinely totaled. I did get it from my dad, who fits the erudite, intellectual stereotype to a 't'. The first one was an '85 C900 base, dark blue. I hated it. Then he got a '94 900 SE and despite it's lemony-badness, that car made me fall in love with the brand.

When my '03 Linear was totaled this summer, I did my due diligence looking into other cars, and still came back around to Saab. I am a frugal person and for the price, I could not possibly get the same combination of safety, performance, practicality, and equipment in any other car. I looked at new cars of all 3 of the 'Big Three', the Camaro SS (newer years), Mustang GT (08 and newer), Volvos, Mercedes, BMW, Lexus, etc. I briefly entertained the thought of a Z06 (was actually going to get one this winter if my daily-driver hadn't been totaled) but having to get a second car just so I could get a Corvette (winters in MI, longer road trips, etc) wasn't practical monetarily. Surprisingly, if I'd had to go away from Saab, it would have been a new Dodge Dart, with fingers crossed that Dodge had figured out how to make a reliable car. I really wanted to check out a turbo C30, but I couldn't find one for the life of me.
Old 2nd October 2012
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jan 2012                                                
My Saabs: 1996 9k Aero
Garage

Expect the proposals of marriage to start flooding in soon
Old 2nd October 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9⁵ Aero "Griffin" JZW⁵
Garage

I owned a Dodge Intrepid - the 3.5L engine was solid, and the car was great. But the transmission was made of glass. I'd avoid Dodge like the plague.
Old 2nd October 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2008                                                
My Saabs: Down to one, an 87 900 Turbo

Quote:
You don't wear a beard and sandals, do you?

Nah... I have shaving AND facial hair equally.. but I only have shave once a day.. you gotta deal with facial hair all day
1996 BMW 318 Ti Sport
Old 3rd October 2012
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Aug 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2008 9-3 Aero

Quote:
I owned a Dodge Intrepid - the 3.5L engine was solid, and the car was great. But the transmission was made of glass. I'd avoid Dodge like the plague.
I would for the most part, too. With used ones at the very least. Like I said, reliability is a giant concern with them. My cousin has two Intrepids (don't ask why, because we don't know either) and there is always at least one down. Pretty much the same with anyone I've worked with that's owned a Chrysler in general. Except for my immediate family, go figure. Both of the two that we had were exceptions, especially our Grand Caravan, and I hate it because it gave me a soft-spot for the brand.
Old 3rd October 2012
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jun 2010                                                
My Saabs: '99 9-5, '95 900SET 'vert, '02 9-5 Aero
Garage

Bought my high-mileage '99 LPT when I finished my MSEE (lots of engineers here apparently) 3 years ago because I was broke and it was a lot of car for the money. Its quirks appealed to my weird yet pragmatic nature. And it was a 5-speed.. Played around with it and fell in love. These cars are complex yet usually quite easy to work on... so much so that I picked up a polar white '04 Aero wagon (again 5-speed) this past weekend. Every time I get in it, I think to myself "what a wonderful place to be." Oh and 3rd gear is quite a gear.
Old 3rd October 2012
Saabista

Join Date: Dec 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1989 900t, 1990 900t, 1990 900 S, 87 SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWells View Post
I would for the most part, too. With used ones at the very least. Like I said, reliability is a giant concern with them. My cousin has two Intrepids (don't ask why, because we don't know either) and there is always at least one down. Pretty much the same with anyone I've worked with that's owned a Chrysler in general. Except for my immediate family, go figure. Both of the two that we had were exceptions, especially our Grand Caravan, and I hate it because it gave me a soft-spot for the brand.
This is what people say about me and my Saabs
Turbo allows the valiant who has appeared at the wheel SAAB to gain momentum for 200 km/h Charm SAAB Turbo also that it to you not bad Porsche on it it is possible with speed of pregnant turtle feeling itself in full comfort which by the way our hero obeys a rudder reliably and confidently the truth management hardly will twirl a steering wheel by one finger uneasy. Without the hydraulic booster quickly enough perishes a steering shaft, but to change its hemorrhoids from the most fierce
Old 4th October 2012

Join Date: Oct 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-3 SE
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhlau View Post
Good to hear that also young people drive Saab cars.
But I am curious how you become a Saab-driver, from who did you hear from it.
I can imagine that it is kind of tradition that you as a young kid drive with your father in a Saab and get the Saab feeling. Is it true that it is kind of family tradition?

@96mn12, good to notice that you distinct from others when driving a Saab, but why is that? Where does this distinction come from?
I bought my first Saab at age 19. I was drawn to the mystique of it. I remember I was also looking at the Merkur XR4Ti. The Saab won out because of the Inca wheels (which were signature wheels on the 99 Turbo), and unique location of the ignition switch. I'm originally from the Midwest so I appreciated the Swedish heritage, and its ability to drive through snow.

It has continued as a tradition for me, going into my 8th model because of their reputation for being safe and well-equipped. They cost less than Audi/BMW but even in base form have a long list of standard features.

After driving across the country in them dozens of times, I find them to be supreme on the highway, offering great visibility and creature comfort.

Last edited by SwedishLoyalty; 4th October 2012 at 10:38 AM. Reason: more words
Old 5th October 2012
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Apr 2008                                                
My Saabs: '09 9-3 SS, '08 9-5 SC

I got my first Saab at 36, a '00 9-5 wagon because the baby arrived in '04 and I couldn't drive him around in the pickup. A search on cars.com for wagons brought me to Saab and on paper it looked like a fit so I began seeking the car. I was sold during the test drive by the power, comfort, interior room, fuel efficiency, and safety.

The second Saab, an '09 9-3 bought new the day the Koenigsegg deal to buy Saab fell through, replaced my wife's stolen Honda Civic. She was adamantly opposed to getting another Saab until she test drove it.

The third Saab, and '08 9-5 SC replaced the aging '00 9-5 wagon. I didn't even shop other brands.

I work in ocean shipping, have a post-graduate degree, was active in water polo and mountain biking but now try to sail as much as I can. Why hasn't anyone written how tall and good looking Saab owners are?
Old 5th October 2012
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Sep 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1984 T8

I'm 38, Ive been driving c900s for over ten years. I grew up raging 2 stroke sport bikes, so the peaky power of the T8 appeals to me. And i like working on cars, so the Engineering And thoughtfulness of the Saabs appeal to me. I'm a graphic designer and musician.
Old 5th October 2012

Join Date: May 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2001 9-3 SE 2.0t, 1971 Triumph Stag

36 and I've only had my Saab for around 4-5 months. Before that I have been almost an exclusive Triumph driver - that is cars, not bikes - and still have one.
An autodidactic engineer and like to work on the mechanical parts of my cars, but I come from a chemical analyst background. Can't hold a musical note.
Sports are off-road roller skiing, mountain biking and competitive target shooting (10m air rifle).
Where I live I am quite different from the norm and, surprisingly to me, others have said they thought the Saab is right up my street.
Old 6th October 2012
Super Moderator EMERITUS

Join Date: Aug 2003                                                
My Saabs: 1995 9000 Aero.

If the cap fits..

Last edited by Cuba; 6th October 2012 at 06:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement