Clutch Job - Trouble removing input shaft - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab C900, 1979-1993 & '94 Convertible (C=classic) > C900 Workshop

C900 Workshop Classic 900 (1979-1993 & '94 Convertible) Technical Forum.

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 7th May 2012

Join Date: Mar 2011                                                
My Saabs: 87 900t 16V, 85 900t 16V, 98 900t
Question Clutch Job - Trouble removing input shaft

So, I'm doing a clutch job on the '89 Conv this weekend, hoping to get it running for the work commute during the Summer. I managed to fashion my own "special tool" spacer ring out of an old bucket handle. With the slave being shot, I used the "long bolt" method to push in the springs on the pressure plate as described in the FAQ. I got enough gap and placed the spacer in with no trouble.

Now, I thought that getting the spacer in would be the hardest part. Turns out removing this input shaft is even more of a pain for me. I removed the clip, cover, and plastic propeller, then stuck one of the M8 pressure plate bolts into the shaft. I've tried all a manner of crowbars and bolts and washers, and for the life of me I just can't pop this shaft out. I've seriously bent two of the original bolts to the pressure plate and mangled some heavy-duty washers, too. I've heard the shaft mechanism described as being spring-loaded, and when the threshold is reached, the shaft quickly pops out. There is now some play in the shaft, and if I wiggle it I can see the friction plate moving back and forth under the pressure plate. But at this point it seems impossible to make any more progress.

Should this shaft be so hard to take out? Am I applying pressure in the wrong place? Is there some other mystery part impeding the removal of this shaft?

Thanks for the help, everyone!

"Well, what did you buy a Swedish piece of sh*t like that for?"
-George Carlin, What Am I Doing in New Jersey? , 1988
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 7th May 2012

Join Date: Jan 2012                                                
My Saabs: 1990 Saab 900 turbo

I've found that the shaft really doesn't like to move if the clutch isn't depressed enough. Certainly when I was putting mine back in, it couldn't possibly be pried in with a crowbar, but I could push it in by hand with the clutch depressed. Perhaps you need to press in the pressure plate more?
Old 7th May 2012
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Mar 2010                                                
My Saabs: Trionic 5.5 1984 900t 8v
Garage

To get the input shaft out I simply had the car in neutral, loosened the slave bolts and the shaft popped out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomletters View Post
I've found that the shaft really doesn't like to move if the clutch isn't depressed enough. Certainly when I was putting mine back in, it couldn't possibly be pried in with a crowbar, but I could push it in by hand with the clutch depressed. Perhaps you need to press in the pressure plate more?
Hmm

If you have the clutch compressed then the shaft is under load....
Old 7th May 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by S900t8v View Post
To get the input shaft out I simply had the car in neutral, loosened the slave bolts and the shaft popped out.
I actually haven't loosened any of the slave's bolts yet... 3 hexes, right? I didn't remove them because the directions have removing those bolts AFTER prying the shaft out. But should removing those bolts making popping the shaft out easier?

Quote:
Hmm

If you have the clutch compressed then the shaft is under load....
Could randomletters be right in that the pressure plate isn't pressed enough? I think that may be true, but on the other hand I am able to spin the friction plate freely underneath the pressure plate (meaning the clutch is disengaged, right?).

Also, one thing I noticed: When I was originally rotating the flywheel to get those 3 long bolts on (for the spacer ring), I realized the car was in reverse, impeding it from rotating enough. I went to shift the car into neutral, but it wouldn't, surprisingly! I had to rotate the flywheel while Dad shifted, and once I rotated it to a certain spot, the shifter went back into neutral. So, is it possible that the engine's position could be keeping the shaft from coming out, or are these two unrelated issues?

Old 7th May 2012
Saabista

Join Date: Dec 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1989 900t, 1990 900t, 1990 900 S, 87 SPG

heck I usually get the input out as the first thing before touching anything else!

There is a spring-clip in there and it can be tricky. If you are pulling at an angle you kind of jam it and it won't go.

One method I've used successfully is the M8 screw, washer and a large socket (like a 1-1/4 or something) that is larger than the shaft. Just screw it down and it pops out easily (really easily) because it is pulling straight-out and not prying at an angle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgiff9 View Post

Also, one thing I noticed: When I was originally rotating the flywheel to get those 3 long bolts on (for the spacer ring), I realized the car was in reverse, impeding it from rotating enough. I went to shift the car into neutral, but it wouldn't, surprisingly! I had to rotate the flywheel while Dad shifted, and once I rotated it to a certain spot, the shifter went back into neutral. So, is it possible that the engine's position could be keeping the shaft from coming out, or are these two unrelated issues?
Only a little bit - you were creating "tension" inside the box against the gears so they didn't want to shift on the shaft, it would be harder but if the stick moves easily then so does the input shaft (ideally).
Turbo allows the valiant who has appeared at the wheel SAAB to gain momentum for 200 km/h Charm SAAB Turbo also that it to you not bad Porsche on it it is possible with speed of pregnant turtle feeling itself in full comfort which by the way our hero obeys a rudder reliably and confidently the truth management hardly will twirl a steering wheel by one finger uneasy. Without the hydraulic booster quickly enough perishes a steering shaft, but to change its hemorrhoids from the most fierce
Old 7th May 2012
Saab on the Brain!

Garage

I've only had to do it once and it was a piece of cake.

I removed the clutch line (so clutch was disengaged) then I either removed the input shaft or I undid the slave then removed it. Can't remember it wasn't hard

I think you can tap it in slightly, then pull it straight out to get it true.

Don't quote me on that, this was 2 years ago, but it really didn't pose a problem, I don't know if having the clutch depressed is the problem but I'd consider trying to wiggle the shaft clockwise/anticlockwise whilst pulling outwards.
Old 7th May 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1988 900 SPG

What a bunch of pussyfooting, Honestly people remove the input shaft by replacing the plastic propeller with a bolt and pull the thing out of there. If it will not come out you are not trying hard enough.
Old 7th May 2012
Saab on the Brain!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by grif900 View Post
What a bunch of pussyfooting, Honestly people remove the input shaft by replacing the plastic propeller with a bolt and pull the thing out of there. If it will not come out you are not trying hard enough.
I think the point is it doesn't require effort if you do it right.
Old 7th May 2012

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 900t View Post
There is a spring-clip in there and it can be tricky. If you are pulling at an angle you kind of jam it and it won't go.

One method I've used successfully is the M8 screw, washer and a large socket (like a 1-1/4 or something) that is larger than the shaft. Just screw it down and it pops out easily (really easily) because it is pulling straight-out and not prying at an angle.
So, after realizing the geniusness of your idea I ran out to the garage and tried your socket method. However, I realized that because I already have the special ring tool in, the shaft is free to rotate, so I can't turn the M8 enough to pop the shaft out. All I do is turn the bolt, and the shaft and friction plate turn with it. Does that mean if I wanted to do it your way I'd have to remove the special clip and start from scratch, so the engaged clutch will act as a sufficient backer?

Quote:
Quote:
I think the point is it doesn't require effort if you do it right.
Thank you, S900t8v.

Old 7th May 2012
SaabNut!

Join Date: Mar 2003                                                
My Saabs: 86 3door t16, 86 2door na, 91vert na

Try putting the transmission in gear to prevent the shaft from rotating.
Old 8th May 2012
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Apr 2009                                                
My Saabs: Plethora o'Saabs

Quote:
this, done it a bunch of times
Old 9th May 2012

Talking

Well, I tried several other methods, including using a shingle scraper. No luck with those...

Eventually, I tried 900t's socket method again, and to keep the shaft from rotating I stuck a screwdriver through a hole in the gear of the primary housing, which may be kinda sleazy, but it worked as a sufficient backer. Lo and behold, after one or two tries, POP! The shaft came out. Finally, thank God.

Now it's on to those three PITA allen bolts on the slave. Hooray.

Last edited by Cgiff9; 9th May 2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old 9th May 2012
Saab on the Brain!

Garage

Quote:
Well, I tried several other methods, including using a shingle scraper. No luck with those...

Eventually, I tried 900t's socket method again, and to keep the shaft from rotating I stuck a screwdriver through a hole in the gear of the primary housing, which may be kinda sleazy, but it worked as a sufficient backer. Lo and behold, after one or two tries, POP! The shaft came out. Finally, thank God.

because when I did it the engine was going to the scrapyard and I didn't care much for it I just whacked the bolt a few times to vibrate free the shaft etc, it then pulled out so easily. What a pain for you!

Good luck with the rest of the job !
Old 9th May 2012
Saabista

Join Date: Dec 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1989 900t, 1990 900t, 1990 900 S, 87 SPG

Quote:
The learning curve on this job is kind of a pain in the ***, but compare it to trying to remove the transmission completely on a typical FWD car.

And anyway if you do it once completely, the second time, it is really easy and everything just throws together once you have the experience.
Turbo allows the valiant who has appeared at the wheel SAAB to gain momentum for 200 km/h Charm SAAB Turbo also that it to you not bad Porsche on it it is possible with speed of pregnant turtle feeling itself in full comfort which by the way our hero obeys a rudder reliably and confidently the truth management hardly will twirl a steering wheel by one finger uneasy. Without the hydraulic booster quickly enough perishes a steering shaft, but to change its hemorrhoids from the most fierce
Old 11th May 2012
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Mar 2005                                                
My Saabs: 91 SPG T5, 00 9-5 Aero, 08 9-3SS Hirsch
Garage

Have you guys ever seen the factory tool? Its basically a 3 foot long prybar with a slot for a bolt head. The shaft is held by a circlip into the top primary gear. As detailed here, they can sometimes be a real PITA to get out.
Old 12th May 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2008                                                
My Saabs: Menagerie of 19 and climbing

Got 3 of them, 2 old, one later in the garage. may post pics later. Found a company in Taiwan offering them, but received no reply. Sometimes it pays to pick up one of the ebay "and other items" auctions.
Advertisement