Different tranny fluid - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Performance Mods & Tuning - ALL ENGINES

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Performance Mods & Tuning - ALL ENGINES Covers GENERAL Tuning & Performance modifications that are *non-engine specific* in nature

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 7th May 2012

Join Date: Apr 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-3 Aero Espresso black
Default Different tranny fluid

Anyone running a different transmission fluid than oem? I'm trying to get rid of the notchiness of the shifter or make it better and was wondering if any had used a performance oriented fluid successfully such as redline amsoil motul etc, thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 9th May 2012
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Oct 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2008 9-3 SS 2.0T

The notchy shifter is due to the shifter. Different fluid wont make any diff. But that said...Not sure if synth fluid is factory fill for the manual box. If it isn't, I would swap it out for synth of spec'd weight. Amsoil is really good oil. I would spend the money on it for long term man trans fill for better heat protection and better mpgs.

I had a manual Acrua RSX. Filled manual trans with Synth 10/30 (which was what manual called for). Picked up 2mpg in colder months.
Old 9th May 2012

I disagree respectfully, well sort of, I can see the shifter adding to the problem but it also feels like the synchros are not linking up properly, I also base this on information I found in a forum called saab tech, in which they used redline with significant improvement. My plan of attack, I bought the shifter reinforcement kit from gs, and will be replacing the trans fluid with redline, 2 parts mt-90(thicker fluid) and one part mtl(about same weight as oem) will post results, won't get my kit from gs until the 14th though
Old 9th May 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2007                                                
My Saabs: '07 9-3ss ARC

alot of the Cobalt guys like Royal Purple. both Synchromax and Maxgear. another alternative to oem castrol.
Old 9th May 2012

Ohh good to know, are our 6spd trans the same as the cobalts?
Old 9th May 2012

Join Date: Dec 2010                                                
My Saabs: 9-3 2006 2.0T SC, 9-3 2006 aero SS

Just changed my fluid out in my 6 speed when I did a clutch job last weekend. I used the Redline MTL. It is the same weight as the OEM oil. At car quest I gave them the GM part number for the Saab MTL and it pulled up the Redline oil. I also searched on this site and others have used it and the guys at Redline say it is compatible. Not sure about the other brands, I wanted something that matched up in weights/etc as the manual says NOT TO mix oils so I bought 4 qts, drained and filled it up with a quart or so and drained it once again before refilling. I bought the car with a bad clutch so I cant comment on the before but it shifts well and seems very smooth in my aero.
Old 9th May 2012

Nice! If it feels smooth is an improvement lol. Yes the mtl is the same weight, I believe the not mixing oils is to avoid people from mixing gl-4 & gl-5 oils, I'm saying this because I've seen people from redline recommending certain mixtures for an specific application.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement