have i become a snaab? - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Cafe > The Lounge

The Lounge For general discussions

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 7th May 2012

Join Date: Mar 2012                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-3
Garage
Question have i become a snaab?

i have noticed when i ride with friends/family i am scared or unwilling to ride in their car, i just notice all these scary noises from other peoples cars, i cant get comfy, their driving seems bad i just am not automotively satisfied untill i'm back in the saab, am i a snaab? is there a cure for snaabery?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 7th May 2012

Join Date: Aug 2004                                                
My Saabs: '06 9 2.0T SportCombi, BCB Stg 2
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabaholik View Post
..... just am not automotively satisfied untill i'm back in the saab, am i a snaab?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabaholik View Post
is there a cure for snaabery?
No.

Once a Snaab, always a Snaab.

SAAB CLUB of WESTERN CANADA on FACEBOOK
Old 8th May 2012
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Jan 2010                                                
My Saabs: 91 900 turbo vert, 01 Cadillac Seville

I'm totally with you.

I've gone bonkers, no longer fully satisfied until I'm behind the wheel of my 900.

Certain Cadillacs still do it for me though, as well as some older Nissans from the 80s and 90s.
Old 9th May 2012

Garage

even when i have to test drive a hemi challenger for work, i am still left not fully satisfied
Old 10th May 2012
Saab on the Brain!

My Saabs: 280-XWD Aero & a 2.0 XWD

I would worry about what neighborhood or how far from nowhere we would be if I was in your "Gen 1" 9-5 and the engine went to toast.

Sorry, but they do have a solid rep for sludge and yeah, even though my daughter's had all the mods and a "known history" and clean bill of health from the Saab mech .... pooofaroo ... up in smoke.

My real point is that don't get too smug about how safe a car is, and yes they got me into Saab a long time ago but then look at the crash vids of the ng that Saab downplayed till they fixed it but the 94 thru 97 were horrible and yes I am aware that there is some "laundered" data out there but man those were scary You-Tube shots.

Upper New York, what if you are hit by a jacked up Ford or Dodge Ram truck?

Nothing is that safe I ever feel "smug" ... for that matter I felt stupid after buying wife a 95 900 and then reading the off-set crash data. Or my kid buying his tuned 96' thinking he can drive fast and if he screws up he is safer in a Saab?

BTW .... the "Moose Test" .... of legend is about weaving around cones to avoid hitting a moose (if you are lucky in the day, to see it) .... and not about surviving an impact with Bullwinkle. Most seem to think it has something to do with the moose penetrating the cabin in a crash. It doesn't.

Better safe than sorry. I did buy a 1989 Mercedes 190 based on the "data" and when the farmer in the raised truck pulled out the and totaled the Merc it saved my azz but don't get smug.

Last edited by TunnanXWD; 10th May 2012 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10th May 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2008                                                
My Saabs: 07 9-3 SS Aero BSR (RIP). 2012 Wrangler

I don't think he's being smug and no need to bash the man's ride. Every time I drive our fleet cars at work (Chevy Impalas) I'm left wondering if the engineers had a contest to see who could make the seats as uncomfortable as possible. The ergonomics are horrible as well.

I will say though, that my wife's minivan is very comfortable. Power is lacking, but that's to be expected.

When I think about buying a new car, still to this day (after 5 years owning my Saab) nothing fully appeals to me.
Old 10th May 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2010                                                
My Saabs: 9-3 Sportcombi 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexington01 View Post
When I think about buying a new car, still to this day (after 5 years owning my Saab) nothing fully appeals to me.
In general or at used Saab prices? I'd flog the Saab and get an Audi A4 wagon in 15 seconds if it wasn't double the price.
Old 10th May 2012

Join Date: Aug 2004                                                
My Saabs: '06 9 2.0T SportCombi, BCB Stg 2
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnanXWD View Post
I would worry about what neighborhood or how far from nowhere we would be if I was in your "Gen 1" 9-5 and the engine went to toast.

Sorry, but they do have a solid rep for sludge and yeah, even though my daughter's had all the mods and a "known history" and clean bill of health from the Saab mech .... pooofaroo ... up in smoke.
What happened to the engine ?

Quote:
My real point is that don't get too smug about how safe a car is, and yes they got me into Saab a long time ago but then look at the crash vids of the ng that Saab downplayed till they fixed it but the 94 thru 97 were horrible and yes I am aware that there is some "laundered" data out there but man those were scary You-Tube shots.

Nothing is that safe I ever feel "smug" ... for that matter I felt stupid after buying wife a 95 900 and then reading the off-set crash data. Or my kid buying his tuned 96' thinking he can drive fast and if he screws up he is safer in a Saab?
IF I happened to end up buying a 2002 9-3 (this one), would it fare better than the '94-'97 years ?

SAAB CLUB of WESTERN CANADA on FACEBOOK
Old 10th May 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2008                                                
My Saabs: 07 9-3 SS Aero BSR (RIP). 2012 Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfisti View Post
In general or at used Saab prices? I'd flog the Saab and get an Audi A4 wagon in 15 seconds if it wasn't double the price.
Yeah, I'm referring to price/comfort/power/styling/safety...the whole package. I'd take a Caddy CTS-V in a heartbeat, but not for $60,000.

So no car under $30,000 fully appeals to me (I paid $28k for my car new). I still can't believe GM wants $38k for a Regal GS. That's just crazy.
Old 10th May 2012
Saab on the Brain!

The early engines in the 9-5 are known for the sludge and seize and it is pretty darn common as noted in so many posts here and even if you check Wiki there is a warning about it. The 6 cylinder were fine.

Comfort and handling, I liked her car a lot and even started the hunt for a new/newish 9-5 before buying my 08' Aero. For that matter I wish I could have afforded a Griffin one of the dealers had.

But still, comfort aside these early cars have a few real bad spots.

And, I never get "smug" in any car regarding safety.
Old 11th May 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2004                                                
My Saabs: Currently Saabless

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaabKen View Post
IF I happened to end up buying a 2002 9-3 (this one), would it fare better than the '94-'97 years ?
'02 still had the same major sludge issues. You could get it and do careful oil changes; have a mechanic drop the pan and confirm any sludging, etc but it's still a gamble no matter what.
Dub Korps
Old 13th May 2012

Garage

Quote:

BTW .... the "Moose Test" .... of legend is about weaving around cones to avoid hitting a moose (if you are lucky in the day, to see it) .... and not about surviving an impact with Bullwinkle. Most seem to think it has something to do with the moose penetrating the cabin in a crash. It doesn't.

Better safe than sorry. I did buy a 1989 Mercedes 190 based on the "data" and when the farmer in the raised truck pulled out the and totaled the Merc it saved my azz but don't get smug.

I'm confused? what are we talking about? and who's "gen1"9-5 are we refering to? so lost
Old 13th May 2012

Garage

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/smug

are we saying "I" am smug? i dont think so, but i will say i love my 9-3 more than alot of cars people are currently dropping 40k on
Old 14th May 2012
Saab on the Brain!

Look on "Wiki" for the Saab 9-5 and it has a nice breakdown of the engines and years that fail.

There is also a problem with the AC distribution system in many.
Advertisement