900 Turbo: Loss of power with no other symptoms - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop

NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 25th April 2012

Join Date: Jun 2011                                                
My Saabs: '97 NG900 Stg3+
Default 900 Turbo: Loss of power with no other symptoms

I have a '97 900 SE Turbo that has been running fine after some initial problems (needed a DIC, stuck wastegate, new BPC valve, etc) that got fixed over the last year or so.

Now, I have a new problem: It feels like I've lost about half of my horsepower all of the sudden! 0-60 time is about double, and I can floor it in first or second and just...wait for the revs to go up.

Boost gauge is in the middle of the yellow rather than building full boost. I tried bypassing the BPC to try to rule out the wastegate and BPC, but unlike the last time (which was a wastegate problem), this had no effect rather than the overboost I expected.

No trouble codes, no odd smoke, no stuttering or any other symptoms that I can see. Just no power.

Now unfortunately I currently don't have a real jack or a good flat working surface to lift the car, so the things I can do at home are limited to the top of the engine compartment... One thing that came to mind was a restricted exhaust, but I don't think I can easily check that.

Can you guys think of anything else that might cause this problem that I could check out inside the engine compartment, before I take it to a shop to look at the exhaust / cat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 25th April 2012
SaabNut!

Join Date: Dec 2004                                                
My Saabs: '08 Scooby Outback XT 5spd

BPC is the issue, its not blocking the signal to the wastegate which means you're running on spring pressure alone, ~5-6 psi
Old 25th April 2012

Join Date: Apr 2011                                                
My Saabs: NG900ST, 06 9³ AERO

have you checked to see if the retaining clip that holds the actuating arm to to the wastegate has fallen/broken off?
Old 25th April 2012
SaabNut!

Join Date: Dec 2004                                                
My Saabs: '08 Scooby Outback XT 5spd

there would be no boost as the wastegate would just blow open, wouldnt even get outta the white
Old 26th April 2012

Join Date: Jun 2011                                                
My Saabs: '97 NG900 Stg3+

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddyseusDSM View Post
BPC is the issue, its not blocking the signal to the wastegate which means you're running on spring pressure alone, ~5-6 psi
No, this isn't the problem. Earlier when I was diagnosing the BPC, I ran the compressor straight to the wastegate actuator, and I know what that feels like. This is way more sluggish than base boost...it feels like I'm hauling a huge trailer!

Also, yes, I've checked the turbo components. The wastegate actuator is working and connected, and the BPC works fine when I pull it out and test on my workbench.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement