$40 Short Ram Intake DIY - Page 15 - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Performance Mods & Tuning - 1.9TiD-TTiD/2.0t/2.0T ONLY

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Performance Mods & Tuning - 1.9TiD-TTiD/2.0t/2.0T ONLY Covers Tuning & Performance modifications specific to 1.9TiD-TTiD/2.0t/2.0T ONLY

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 4th March 2012

Join Date: Feb 2012                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3 2.0t linear
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by micakaj123 View Post
Also, when jig sawing the stock box, try not to make the corners so sharp like i did because it will make putting the door guard on it a pain in the ***.

To make your life easier do it more like this:

thanks alot! thats great advise. im gonna do this within a couple weeks (when ever i get paid next lol) ill post on this thread how it goes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 6th March 2012

My Saabs: 2001 93 SE
Default 2001 93 open airbox

all the pics ive seen on this thread show the tubes comming from the back of the engine and mine is right there in front. are the pics from a older model or something or did it get re routed. just wanna make sure i got all the details right before i perform an operation on my baby. if they are diff what would i have to do to make my own open airbox on my t7
Old 6th March 2012
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Apr 2011                                                
My Saabs: 04 9-3 Arc, man tranny, BCB stg2
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronson View Post
all the pics ive seen on this thread show the tubes comming from the back of the engine and mine is right there in front. are the pics from a older model or something or did it get re routed. just wanna make sure i got all the details right before i perform an operation on my baby. if they are diff what would i have to do to make my own open airbox on my t7
your in the wrong section of the forum. You got a older 9-3, that's what's causing the confusion.
Old 16th March 2012

Join Date: Jun 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2004 Saab 9-3 Liner
Thumbs up Just did it

This was a super easy way to get a good amount of sound out of my car. Many people on here want a BOV which is not made for a SAAB. I really suggest anyone who is looking for an amazing sound out of there car invest in a cold air intake. Now you can go out and spend $239.00 on the Opti-flow, or go to Autozone and spend $50.00. I have debated this for a few months now and I pulled the trigger today. I drove in heavy rain all night with no issues or CEL's. I check periodically to ensure the filter was not wet ( not a drop). I spent about an hour and a half to complete this project, the pictures the person posted are spot on. Beware once you cut the airbox there is no going back. Just a recommendation give yourself about an Inch after the mass airflow to cut allowing for enough bit with for the clamp. I repeat again the sound is amazing, I am so pleased with this project. The only downfall is you need a heat shield, Not sure how I am going to do this but I will figure it out. I will post pictures tomorrow. If you are someone looking for a sweet sound or want that blow-off valve sound do this mod, you will not regret it. I did not want to get out of my car today. I was so sick of not even hearing my turbo, when I pulled out of the driveway after the mod, I heard what I have been waiting for. Now on to the exhaust and my tune. Thanks again for and awesome mod tip.
Old 7th April 2012

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheckman1109 View Post
This was a super easy way to get a good amount of sound out of my car. Many people on here want a BOV which is not made for a SAAB. I really suggest anyone who is looking for an amazing sound out of there car invest in a cold air intake. Now you can go out and spend $239.00 on the Opti-flow, or go to Autozone and spend $50.00. I have debated this for a few months now and I pulled the trigger today. I drove in heavy rain all night with no issues or CEL's. I check periodically to ensure the filter was not wet ( not a drop). I spent about an hour and a half to complete this project, the pictures the person posted are spot on. Beware once you cut the airbox there is no going back. Just a recommendation give yourself about an Inch after the mass airflow to cut allowing for enough bit with for the clamp. I repeat again the sound is amazing, I am so pleased with this project. The only downfall is you need a heat shield, Not sure how I am going to do this but I will figure it out. I will post pictures tomorrow. If you are someone looking for a sweet sound or want that blow-off valve sound do this mod, you will not regret it. I did not want to get out of my car today. I was so sick of not even hearing my turbo, when I pulled out of the driveway after the mod, I heard what I have been waiting for. Now on to the exhaust and my tune. Thanks again for and awesome mod tip.
Look at post 281. a guy gave me that idea to make a heat shield out of the stock air box. looks great to me and he says it has the same sound. im gonna try it tonight and see how it goes
Old 7th April 2012
SaabNut!

Join Date: Feb 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2008 9-3 SS Aero JZW Stg 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dheckman1109 View Post
I repeat again the sound is amazing,
does it bother you when you are in the cabin listening to hi-fidelity music?

cheerios...
JZW Stg 4|3" MPP DP|Hirsch Dual Catback|KW V2 CO/H&R|DEH-P01|HAT Pro1v2 Rad Ring|HAT L6SE Mids|Brax X2000|DLS Ultimate A5|JL Audio 13TW5|GS 3-pt Subframe|Saab Aero Bridge Rear Spoiler|Hirsch CF Leather Dash|Ultimate "SAAB" Pedals|Hirsch Leather Door Handle|Hirsch Aero Honeycomb Grilles|Hirsch Rear Diffuser|CF Emblem & Hub Caps|3M Window Films|6-pot BBK
Old 7th April 2012

Join Date: Apr 2007                                                
My Saabs: 05 Linear 5spd Auto. BCB Stage 2

Well, I finally grew enough balls to do this mod this morning. I spend $52 at Autozone and no more then 15 minutes building it. I cant tell you how happy I am with the outcome of this project. The sound is amazing and it seams like there is slightly quicker throttle response. I did this primarily for the sound and could care less about any increase in performance.

This is by far the best $52 I spent on this car

ps....I know have a k&n I could sell for cheap if anyone needs one
Old 8th April 2012
SaabNut!

Join Date: Dec 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2005 9-3 Hirsch

Do you remove the piping that's connected to the bottom of the stock air filter box?
Old 8th April 2012

Join Date: Jul 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2003 Saab 9-3 2.0t

instead of buying the BSR kit i thing im going to do it like the guy above and mod the stock air box, i like that idea alot and looks really nice.
COUPLE QUESTIONS
1)what size filter do i need?
2)what do i do about the SAI
3)is this everything i need?
3" to 2-1/2" coupler
45 degree intake pipe
filter of my choice (size?)

door edge guard
4)Lastly will i have any error codes or problems wit hthis set up?

thank you
-mike
Old 8th April 2012
SaabNut!

Join Date: Feb 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2008 9-3 SS Aero JZW Stg 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by inergen View Post
does it bother you when you are in the cabin listening to hi-fidelity music?

cheerios...
well, i guess not! that so-called amazing sound is music to your ears.

cheerios..!
JZW Stg 4|3" MPP DP|Hirsch Dual Catback|KW V2 CO/H&R|DEH-P01|HAT Pro1v2 Rad Ring|HAT L6SE Mids|Brax X2000|DLS Ultimate A5|JL Audio 13TW5|GS 3-pt Subframe|Saab Aero Bridge Rear Spoiler|Hirsch CF Leather Dash|Ultimate "SAAB" Pedals|Hirsch Leather Door Handle|Hirsch Aero Honeycomb Grilles|Hirsch Rear Diffuser|CF Emblem & Hub Caps|3M Window Films|6-pot BBK
Old 9th April 2012
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Mar 2005                                                
My Saabs: 91 SPG, 99 9-5 Aero, 08 9-3SS Hirsch
Garage

Funny what you find when you actually look in your garage.You know you bought the pieces at some point.......but for todays project just a can of 3M hi temp glue for the Thermo-Tec Aluminized insulation on the cover.

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/al...pictureid=5380

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/al...pictureid=5381

1500 miles of city and mostly highway driving with no CEL. I find no noticable difference in low end. I have the Hirsch stage-1 cal

Last edited by SPG900T; 9th April 2012 at 12:44 AM. Reason: add info about cel
Old 13th April 2012

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPevine11 View Post
instead of buying the BSR kit i thing im going to do it like the guy above and mod the stock air box, i like that idea alot and looks really nice.
COUPLE QUESTIONS
1)what size filter do i need?
2)what do i do about the SAI
3)is this everything i need?
3" to 2-1/2" coupler
45 degree intake pipe
filter of my choice (size?)
door edge guard
4)Lastly will i have any error codes or problems wit hthis set up?

thank you
-mike
i did mine about a week ago now, it was super easy. idk if you did it yet but ill help ya out anyways. i believe i got a 3"-5" cone. that is everything you need. i just left my sai plugged into the stock box. you could also get one of the tiny cones for it and just wrap the end with electrical tape till it fits snug. very easy to do didnt even have to take the stock air box out. just took off the top and cut it the way the guy shows in one of the earlier threads then the new intake drops right in and the top goes back on. sounds amazing!!! best money spent yet. i wrapped the edges of the cut airbox top with door edge trim like the guy said for looks. looks great sounds great. i havent listened to my radio since ive done it. and no cel light yet
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2067.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	26.7 KB
ID:	28784  

Last edited by rhymesayers90; 13th April 2012 at 06:53 PM.
Old 13th April 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2007                                                
My Saabs: '07 9-3ss ARC

^ what kind of filter is that? almost looks like a Neuspeed disposable cone.
Old 13th April 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-3 2.0T JZW Stage 5 E85
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03saab93t View Post
i gave in today on my day off and put it on also. the only thing is that i have that hose coming from the front of my air box and i saw that the bsr has what looks like a breather on that.

but the breathers are way to small to fit on it so im not sure how to work that one. any suggestions?
Thats the SAI (secondary air injection) only on our car MY2003. Get a little breather filter from advance auto parts or your local store, then you can wrap electrical tape around the stem of the filter and push it in the hose until it fits on snug, and it wont come off. Have the same setup, its pretty straightforward, ill post some pics in second...
Old 13th April 2012
Saab Lunatic

Garage

wooow nvm that post was old as crap... oopsies
Old 13th April 2012

Join Date: Jul 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2003 Saab 9-3 2.0t

please post pics of the Sai

imdoing this tommrrow. what size is the SAI?
Old 14th April 2012
Saab Lunatic

Garage

Have the dang pictures and it wont condense the pics so i can attatch them....wtf. Ill get the pics up asap but the SAI tube inlet is slightly larger than the inlet of the breather filter, which measures at 3/4" in diameter...so im guessing its around 1"-1 1/4". Few layers of electrical tape around the inlet should make it fit snug. Mine was pretty simple, for pipe i bought a 2 1/2" to 3" silicone coupler, 2 straight chrome plastic pieces, a straight silicone coupler, a 45 elbow and any filter that you want. Saw intake few inches past the MAF with dremel/ hacksaw whatever (check the thread). the hardest part for me was to get the 2 1/2" coupler end over the MAF tube... you need to boil some water in a pot and then sit the coupler in it for 10 secs or until it gets super soft, then carefully pull and slip over the end. When it cools down it fits uber tight and aint coming off lol then just assemble the rest of the intake, dont forget your trusty hose clamps and youre all good son

**all pipe measures 3"
Old 14th April 2012
SaabNut!

Join Date: Nov 2010                                                
My Saabs: 07 9-3 2.0T 6spd JZW Stage 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymesayers90 View Post
i did mine about a week ago now, it was super easy. idk if you did it yet but ill help ya out anyways. i believe i got a 3"-5" cone. that is everything you need. i just left my sai plugged into the stock box. you could also get one of the tiny cones for it and just wrap the end with electrical tape till it fits snug. very easy to do didnt even have to take the stock air box out. just took off the top and cut it the way the guy shows in one of the earlier threads then the new intake drops right in and the top goes back on. sounds amazing!!! best money spent yet. i wrapped the edges of the cut airbox top with door edge trim like the guy said for looks. looks great sounds great. i havent listened to my radio since ive done it. and no cel light yet
That's what I want to see lol
Old 15th April 2012

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by micakaj123 View Post
That's what I want to see lol
it was easier than i thought to fabricate the stock box into the heatshield. i was expecting to cut atleast part of the bottom or even take the whole box out but just had to cut the top section. worked great! lovin the idea
Old 15th April 2012
SaabNut!

Join Date: Nov 2010                                                
My Saabs: 07 9-3 2.0T 6spd JZW Stage 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymesayers90 View Post
it was easier than i thought to fabricate the stock box into the heatshield. i was expecting to cut atleast part of the bottom or even take the whole box out but just had to cut the top section. worked great! lovin the idea
Yea it wasn't to bad. I cut out some of the bottom as it seemed like the intake was hitting the top of my hood.

But it looks great and i know it sounds great lmao!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement