Saab 95 drivers seat airbag - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Workshop

9-5 Workshop 9-5 Workshop (1997 to 2010) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 10th October 2011

Join Date: Oct 2011                                                
My Saabs: Saab 95 SE 2.3Turbo 1998
Default Saab 95 drivers seat airbag

Hi guys,

I'm a new owner of my beautiful Saab 95.

My Saab was in at Saab Serve, in north parramatta, just getting new front rotors and pads. On test drive the airbag and triangle warning light has come on. They tried resetting the code, but kept returning, so they diagnosed it, and the drivers seat airbag is the fault, and needs replacing.

I have purchased this airbag, and was wondering if it's something I could install myself? And how I do it? I'm quite mechanically minded, have always worked on my cars, but just want to ask you guys if it's actually easy, or if you would recommend me getting someone to do it.

Thank you

Phil
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11th October 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2010                                                
My Saabs: (4) 2 01 95's; an 08 95 & a 09 93

I dont believe the fault code or light will tell you the airbag is bad. I doubt the airbag is bad, but rather a fault in the wiring.
Old 11th October 2011

Thanks for your opinion.

But Saab Serve are certain, that the fault light has come on, because of the drivers seat airbag, malfunctioning.

Cheers
Old 11th October 2011
SaabNut!

Join Date: Feb 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-5 Arc 2006 9-3SS

I will PM you with the WIS instructions. Did you get the actual fault code from the dealer? Just wondering what it was.

A couple of things to keep in mind:
1. don't probe the airbag with a multimeter. There are some out there that could potentially deploy the airbag when you try to do a resistance measurement.
2. When working on the system, disconnect the battery.
3. Before taking the seat apart, if you can, you might disconnect the airbag at the base of the seat and connect your replacement. Then reconnect the battery and turn your key to the ON position. If you have a way to read the fault codes, you can check to see if the fault code goes history or if you can clear the fault. Make sure you position the airbag such that if there is something wrong and it deploys, no one gets hit. (or sit in the passenger seat and turn the key to the ON position). The lamp will stay on even if the fault condition is cleared so you may have to figure out how to get the dealer to check/clear the code if you don't have access to a tool to do that.

Last edited by indy500; 11th October 2011 at 03:38 PM.
Old 11th October 2011

Thanks very much Indy.

Much appreciated - yeah i don't have the tool, or any multimeter. Was just kinda hoping its a matter of carefully, getting the old one out, and putting in the new one. Once i have installed the new, ill have to go to Saab Serve to get them to clear the fault for me.

No sorry i never got the fault code, they just told me the situatioin.

Thanks Mike, My email is: phillipferretti@hotmail.com And my vin is YS3EF480W3052935 thanks very much.

Thanks again

Last edited by Saab95SE98; 11th October 2011 at 06:20 PM.
Old 12th October 2011
Saab Lunatic

Get a 2nd opinion.
Old 12th October 2011
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 AERO MPS STG2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Brennan View Post
Get a 2nd opinion.

Yup, way before you take anything apart or buy a new airbag.
Old 12th October 2011
SaabNut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob3000 View Post
Yup, way before you take anything apart or buy a new airbag.
Agreed. It sounds as though he already has the aribag in hand though. My suggestion is to check that connecting the airbag is going to fix it before actually taking the seat apart. Unfortunately, you are going to need a tech-2 type tool to check if the fault is gone or not.

Saab didn't do any favors for do-it-yourselfers when they specified that the airbag lamp stays on even though you clear the fault condition.
Old 12th October 2011
SaabNut!

My Saabs: 91 900 T16 SE vert, 2009 Volvo XC70 T6

I'd see if you can return the airbag you bought. I'm willing to bet that the clockspring (or it's sometimes called the horn contact) in the steering wheel needs replacing. About $150. Look at: http://thesaabsite.com/95/95airbag.htm

I had this exact situation a few months back and researched it thoroughly. YMMV. Good luck.
Old 12th October 2011
SaabNut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by staves View Post
I'd see if you can return the airbag you bought. I'm willing to bet that the clockspring (or it's sometimes called the horn contact) in the steering wheel needs replacing. About $150. Look at: http://thesaabsite.com/95/95airbag.htm
Only problem is that they indicated that the fault code was for the Driver Seat airbag - no clockspring coil there. The wiring is under the seat and it could get messed up as well.
Old 12th October 2011
SaabNut!

My Saabs: 91 900 T16 SE vert, 2009 Volvo XC70 T6

Sorry, misread post as driver's side airbag
Old 13th October 2011
Saab Lunatic

It is not the airbag but after they replace it and the light goes off or they actually fix what is wrong you get your car back.
When they replace the bag they will be disconnecting everything and putting it back together. If you want to try this your self just disconnect everything and put the old bag back in, chances are that fixes it after you reset the ecu by disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes.m The air bag does not send a code. You cant diagnose a bad airbag from a light. An airbag sits in your seat like road kill. I has no life. it does not breathe thus it sends no signals, but everything it connects to does. If I am crazy abut this forgive me and if someone knows I am way off here I apologize, but I just dont believe an airbag sends a signal

Last edited by Mike Brennan; 13th October 2011 at 08:27 AM.
Old 13th October 2011
SaabNut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by staves View Post
Sorry, misread post as driver's side airbag
That's OK. I work with airbag electronics and we always have to be careful. I am continually checking on whether when someone says 'driver's side airbag' - is that the frontal airbag on the driver's side, or is that the side airbag on the driver's side? We try to avoid saying 'driver's side' for most things. There's the 'driver front airbag' and then the 'driver side airbag' or 'driver thorax airbag' (since that's what it is there to protect), etc.

The next thing (not with this generation of 9-5 since it doesn't have that many airbags) that you have to watch is for the difference between driver/passenger and left/right when you are dealing with a vehicle available as left hand drive and right hand drive configurations. you don't want to inflate the driver side airbag mistakenly for a left side crash when the driver is actually sitting in the right seat!

Anyway, I also doubt it is the airbag itself. That would not be the most likely failure source - wiring and the connector(s) would be my first guess. But if he already bought the bag, you might as well hook it up and see if that fixes it (before pulling the seat apart).
Old 14th October 2011

Hi thanks guys.

Yes, I have purchased a new airbag with attatched, the connector/sensor unit with it as one, and its the airbag in, on the side of the drivers seat, where the memory functions are. I might try disconnecting the battery for 30mins, as suggested. All i know is, saab serve told me that its that airbag, that has caused the code.

Most probably going to be the actual sensor unit attatched to the airbag, rather then the actual airbag itself.

Last edited by Saab95SE98; 15th October 2011 at 06:29 AM.
Old 15th October 2011
SaabNut!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saab95SE98 View Post
Hi thanks guys.

Yes, I have purchased a new airbag with attatched, the connector/sensor unit with it as one, and its the airbag in, on the side of the drivers seat, where the memory functions are. I might try disconnecting the battery for 30mins, as suggested. All i know is, saab serve told me that its that airbag, that has caused the code.

Most probably going to be the actual sensor unit attatched to the airbag, rather then the actual airbag itself.
Disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes will not clear the lamp. The airbag control module doesn't work that way. Fault codes are stored between ignition cycles, and while other OEMs turn off the light if the fault condition goes away (fault goes to history) Saab keeps the lamp on. If you know that you have fixed an airbag fault and you want to avoid taking it to the dealer to clear the codes, you can cycle the ignition on - off - on 250 times (must be on for more than 10 seconds to count as an igntion cycle and off for a second or so, don't have to actually start the car). But, that's a heck of a way to try to figure out if you fixed the fault or not.

The airbag you have doesn't have a sensor really. What you see is the bag itself and the initiator (has the chemicals that inflate the bag and the squib that starts the process). There is a 29 way connector under the seat that connects to all of the seat functions, including the airbag. The airbag is on pins 7 and 9 according to the wiring diagram. There's another connector at the airbag itself inside the seat.
Old 16th October 2011

Thumbs up

Ahh thank you for that.

Yep, i see what your saying, i have a pdf on how to gain access to the airbag. Will have a look at doing that this week.

Yeah the bloke i purchased the airbag and initiator from, rekons for sure that its the initiator sending to code, he rekons thats the problem and youll need to just replace that.

So will see how i go anyhow, while im pulling it all apart, i might aswell change the bag aswell, to make sure.

One thing i am a bit worried about is the bag deploying unexpectedly at any stage haha.

Cheers
Old 19th October 2011

Hi guys,

Done the airbag today - very easy everything went well. Just got to go down to saab and get them to clear the code on Friday :-)

Cheers
Old 1 Week Ago

Join Date: Oct 2014                                                
Default Airbag malfunction

Hello,
I disconnectad the seat to check why the heating didn't work. I played with the connector pins. After reconnecting I have airbag malfunction. What can I do now? What in case I shortconnected output pins from the connector, ignition was on.
Old 1 Week Ago
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-5 Sedan, 2006 Sportcombi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saab95wagonaero View Post
Hello,
I disconnectad the seat to check why the heating didn't work. I played with the connector pins. After reconnecting I have airbag malfunction. What can I do now? What in case I shortconnected output pins from the connector, ignition was on.
try disconnecting you battery for 15 minutes and see if it will reset it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement