How-to replacing rear engine mount 9000cse 1998
1 * 13mm ring spanner ( about 5inches long)
1 * 17mm socket piece and ratchet
2 * 16mm spanners
1 * 25 mm torx piece or screwdriver
1 * trolley lift + thick piece of wood.
Having read the guide at link on how to replace the rear engine mount i decided to give it a go.
Here's what i found while doing the work on my 1998 9000 cse.
1. All the bolts holding in the rear engine mounts to the chassis are 13mm and not the 13mm/14mm combination as specified.
2. the bolt holding the engine to the mount is 16mm
3. no need to remove wheel arch trim or plastic inserts.
Here's how i did it.
1. at the rear of the engine above the rear mount remove the 25 torx screw holding in the pipe and gently flex the pipe out of the way so that you can see the 16mm
bolt ( you will need a torch ) and slid the holding clip to the right
2. loosen driver side wheel
3. jack up car and place axel stand under each side
4. remove drivers wheel
5. now using the 13mm spanner on top and the 17mm socket on the bottom nut remove the 2 bolts/nuts from the drivers side. Access is tight but very manageable.
6. now slide under the car and remove the final nut/blot on the inside of the mount toward s the middle of the car.
7. using a very long extension piece and 16mm socket loosen the bolt (from above) that holds the engine to the mount.
8. now support the engine using the trolley jack and a thick piece of wood under the sump just enough to take the weight off the top engine mount.
9. remove the bolt/nut holding in the top engine mount using the 16mm spanners
10. continue to jack up the engine until you can fully remove the rear mount. all the time checking for clearance . the mount slips out towards the front of the car .
11. install the new mount ( you may need to jack up the engine a little more as the new mount will be taller than the worn old one ) and here's the important piece get the 16mm bolt threaded onto the mount BEFORE lowering the engine back .
12. lower engine back down gently and re-install all 3 bolts/nuts and tighten to required torque 40Nm (30lbft) .
13. reinstall the bolt on the top engine mount and tighten to 40Nm (30lbft)
14. tighten up the 16mm bolt holding the engine to the rear mount.
15. refit the drivers wheel and torque to 115Nm ( 85lbft)
16 . lower the car
17. re-install the supporting clip via the 25 torx screw.
hope this helps to reduce the amount of work required took about 1.5hrs from start to finish.
you will be working in an area of risk so you use this procedure at your own risk and i assume no responsibility for your actions using this guide.
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|For Sale: New Rear engine mount for For 9-5||saabmandan||Parts for Sale/Wanted - North America||4||11th December 2010 01:26 PM|
|replacing the rear motor mount||wease206||9-5 Workshop||2||10th September 2010 05:25 PM|
|Wanted: Engine Anchorage (rear engine/tranny mount)||Batista_07||Parts for Sale/Wanted - UK & Europe||0||17th January 2010 04:11 AM|
|Rear engine mount||first-saab||9-5 Workshop||4||22nd August 2009 06:41 PM|
|Broken rear engine mount to mount||paule||9000 Workshop||2||31st July 2006 04:56 AM|