The SLAAB.... '88 T16 - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab C900, 1979-1993 & '94 Convertible (C=classic) > C900 Performance, Mods & Tuning > C900 Projects

C900 Projects For ongoing threads concerning classic 900 projects

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 16th December 2010
SaabNut!

Join Date: Nov 2010                                                
My Saabs: 88' 900 Turbo Hatchback
Garage
Default The SLAAB.... '88 T16

After reading, doing, reading some more, doing some more, I realised that I should start a build thread.

Basics - I scored a white, late '88 T16 via Atlanta craigslist for $1600.00. It is in decent shape, but of course, needs plenty....

Done so far:

Replaced all the underhood vacuum lines with silicon. I'm not ready to pull the dash just yet.

Replaced the alternator mount and alternator bushings. Stuck with rubber after hearing about early poly failures.

Replaced 2.5 FPR with 3.0 FPR.

Replaced humming fuel pump and pre fuel pump. New primary fuel pump is Swedish Dynamics 65gph unit. After learning more about the fuel system, I'm going to go ahead an drop the gas tank and install proper submersible fuel hose for the return line. I don't want to go back in there anytime in the foreseeable future.

Replaced BPV with higher pressure Bosch unit.

Have a set of Kilen Springs waiting to go on.

Have a set of KYB Gas-A-Just's to go on with the springs. Wasn't ready to commit to the Bilstein HD's just yet.

Have all new suspension bushings front and rear to go on while doing springs/shocks.

Have new tie-rod ends and upper and lower ball joints to go on with springs/shocks.

Have a set of super aero's on the back porch. Will be refinishing and fitting with 205/50/16 Nitto NeoGen's. (Living in Alabama is nice...no need for winter tire/wheel setup)

It's an auto tranny. Yeah, yeah, I know. Flame on. But it was to good of a deal to pass up. I can always swap over if I decide I want to change.

Currently running on spare distributor - needs new internal oil seal. I ham fisted the HES on original distributor while changing BPV. Will be rebuilding original dist.

Need to install new valve cover gasket. Hate seeing fresh clean oil going to waste...

Will be hunting down various clicks, clacks and ticks under the hood as I move from one repair to next.

Considering various upgrade options:
Upgraded APC - Somewhere between 16 & 20psi
Higher flow rate injectors - nothing crazy, something in the 24-27lb range
Full stainless exhaust
Maybe custom exhaust manifold..... not sure
Definitely heat coating on all exhaust piping
Considering various bracing/strengthening projects - my wire welder hasn't seen much use yet. It looks lonely.
Still researching.... More to come.

I tend to become attached to cars. This one will be in the family for a looooong time......

I'll get pics up as progress starts. Should have some up this weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16th December 2010
SaabNut!

Garage
Default Took Advantage of the warm weather today....

I dropped the gas tank on the SLAAB and cleaned out 22 years worth of sediment build up.

Tomorrow, I'm gonna pick up a couple of feet of H209 from NAPA. It's fuel hose designed to be submersed in gas.... That combined with the new prepump and 65gph primary should keep me out of the tank for quite a while. Before reinstalling the tank, I'll go ahead and install the new fuel filter as well.
Old 16th December 2010
SaabNut!

Garage
Default Pics

A big storm blew through last night so he's a little dirty...

Old 16th December 2010
SaabNut!

Garage
Default Went to Mathew's Car Parts today.....

When I walk in I feel like a kid in a candy store. I picked up some small parts and then asked about rear seat headrests. Richard took me to a room full of seats and said "see what you can find". It was like pull-a-part, but inside.... Love it. Found two gray leather headrests on a rear seatback tucked away in corner.....
Old 16th December 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2010                                                
My Saabs: past:89 900 5sp N/A sedan and 89 900 SPG

Let me know how you manage to replace that fuel filter. I tried this week but couldn't get any clearance. Also I had no chance of untorquing the banjo fittings.

What blithering idiot put the fuel filter there?
Old 17th December 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2008                                                
My Saabs: '03 9-5 Aero, 08 9-3, '89 C900LM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclear944 View Post
Let me know how you manage to replace that fuel filter. I tried this week but couldn't get any clearance. Also I had no chance of untorquing the banjo fittings.

What blithering idiot put the fuel filter there?
You would think that since they ran the entire fuel system in-body theyd put the fuel filter in there too...but noooo. Mine is just a football shaped ball of rust. God I hope I don't have to change it anytime soon. If I do, Ill probably just cut it out and splice in a lawnmower filter or something...
Old 17th December 2010
SaabNut!

Garage
Default Weeelllllllll.......

It actually won't be bad for me. Since I have the tank out, I have room to put a breaker bar on the thing if need be.

It only took fifteen minutes to drop the tank.....and it's my first time.... Took longer to pump the tank out.

Once I replace it and have confirmed no leaking, I think I'll wrap it in rubber. Cut a MTB tube and split it open length-wise. That should give me plenty of rubber to skin the fuel filter and connections. That will keep it nice and clean for the next time I have to change it..

Last edited by Eddy_AL; 17th December 2010 at 12:57 PM.
Old 17th December 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2010                                                
My Saabs: past:89 900 5sp N/A sedan and 89 900 SPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy_AL View Post
It actually won't be bad for me. Since I have the tank out, I have room to put a breaker bar on the thing if need be.

It only took fifteen minutes to drop the tank.....and it's my first time.... Took longer to pump the tank out.

Once I replace it and have confirmed no leaking, I think I'll wrap it in rubber. Cut a MTB tube and split it open length-wise. That should give me plenty of rubber to skin the fuel filter and connections. That will keep it nice and clean for the next time I have to change it..
Very good idea indeed! I'll be doing the same.

But how do you maneuver your body in there? You probably need a jack and jackstands to give you safe clearance. Mine is rusty too tailspin!
Old 17th December 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Mar 2008                                                
My Saabs: '03 9-5 Aero, 08 9-3, '89 C900LM

Quote:

But how do you maneuver your body in there? You probably need a jack and jackstands to give you safe clearance. Mine is rusty too tailspin!
I'm a believer that every C900 owner should have a floor jack and 4 jackstands. They aren't that expensive but will make work go so much faster!
Old 17th December 2010

Join Date: Aug 2009                                                
My Saabs: 84 900t sedan, 88 900t 3dr, 87 9kt auto

That's a nice looking car. If you're bent on using the old SLAAB pun, you could find something that better matches the term here in Ohio.
Old 18th December 2010
SaabNut!

Garage

Quote:

Definitely jacking it up and using stands....

* Picked up 4 small 2 ton jackstands (perfect for the 900) today at Biglots. My others were sized for jeeps with lift kits. They have them for $16 a pair.... Go get some

Last edited by Eddy_AL; 18th December 2010 at 10:49 PM. Reason: added info
Old 18th December 2010
SaabNut!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwatson32 View Post
That's a nice looking car. If you're bent on using the old SLAAB pun, you could find something that better matches the term here in Ohio.
Using the pun......Tongue in cheek. It's a southern car..no rust issues, at all. Somebody loved this car for it to be in this good of shape after 22 years. Living far below the Mason-Dixon line didn't hurt either...
Old 18th December 2010
SaabNut!

Garage
Default While the tank is out.....

It took all of about 5 seconds to realize that leaving the tank out while redoing the rear suspension loads easier.....

I grabbed a pic of the underside in hopes of showing you just how much room is open under there as well as how much easier it is to get to the fuel filter. The beast is up on jackstand.....

Old 19th December 2010
SaabNut!

Garage
Default Today...

Sprayed down the rear underside with degreaser and took the pressure washer to it while the gas tank is out. I'm gonna hit any places with cracked/chipped paint or rust with some.... an ounce of prevention, yada-yada-yada....

Tomorrow, I'm taking a vacation day. Gonna take avantage of a sunny 55 degree day. Plan for tomorrow - Drop the rear end, replace all bushings, replace coil springs & shocks, put a fresh coat of paint on the rear axle and reassemble.... We'll see how it goes.
Old 21st December 2010
SaabNut!

Garage
Default Rear end is done...for now.

Pulled the rear end yesterday.

I knocked the rust of the rear axle, put on a couple of coats or primer and then put on three coats of "tractor implement" paint. That stuff is as tough as nails.

Rear Kilen springs are installed.
Rear KYB's are installed.
Nice clean gas tank is reinstalled.
New fuel filter installed.
New intank fuel return line installed. It is engineered to be submersible in gas.
Available at NAPA, part number: H209

I'll be putting the fuel pumps back in tonight.
Need to bleed the rear brakes. Definitely going to order a set of speed bleeders for the SAAB. Been using them on my Jeeps for a while. They make bleeding a simple, one man, 15 minute job.

Anyways, the beast is sitting on it's tires again.

Now I have to do the front......

Last edited by Eddy_AL; 21st December 2010 at 12:05 PM. Reason: pics
Old 22nd December 2010
SaabNut!

Garage
Default What a night....

Fuel pumps are in...

Brakes are bled....

I did not realize just how much air I let back into the system when I dropped the rear end. It took FOREVER to get the air out of passenger side brake line. When I disconnected the hard brake lines on the axle from the soft lines at the body, I used some large vacuum plugs to stop the bleeding. On one I left the nut off the fitting and plug slipped all the way on with a nice tidy seal. The other, I put both nuts on and then put the plug on..... Well, it leaked slowly the entire day.

At first I though I was going to have to pull the master brake cylinder and prime it, but eventually I got all the air out. My daughter will have a sore leg today from pushing the brake pedal so much, but hey, what are teenagers for?
Old 1st January 2011
SaabNut!

Garage
Default Not exactly a performance mod....

But I ordered a Clarion CZ500 this week plus a set of Boston Acoustics to replace my tired speakers.

Should increase the driving pleasure....

PS. Found the CZ500 on Amazon for $88.00

ipod connection
bluetooth
cd player

etc, etc

good price for the specs.......
Old 14th March 2011
SaabNut!

Garage
Default Wow... Been a while...

Between work and the weather, my car was feeling a bit neglected...

Valve cover gasket has been replaced.

I finally got the front suspension finished up.

Killen Springs all around

KYB Gas A Just all around

New ball joints - upper and lower. Both uppers were TOAST...

New Tie-rod ends

New tie-rod boots

Remove, clean and repack CV's + new boots
- saw some pitting - put on the replace list

New upper and lower control arm bushings
- The passenger side upper control arm was garbage.Over time the heat from the exhaust cooked the bushings. On top of that, the metal tube inside of one of the bushing had welded to the control arm. I took a dremel tool to it. I took a propane torch to it. I to a BFH to it... nothing worked. I ended up replacing the entire control arm. Once I had the old one out, I cut a little deeper with the dremel. I couldn't tell where bushing tube stopped and control arm began.

New upper control arm outer bushings - couldn't find oem rubber ones, installed a set of powerflex polys.

I think that about covers this weekend..... I dropped the car off for an alignment about 30 minutes ago.... I can't wait to get her back.

Now I just need to get the rear bushings done. When I put the springs and shocks on the back I didn't have all the bushings yet... That has been remedied. Now I just need time...

Also, I ordered the Abbott Racing exhaust and a equal length header. I 'm thinking about doing my own thermal barrier coating.. Time to get out the welder and start building an oven....

Last edited by Eddy_AL; 14th March 2011 at 01:14 PM.
Old 14th March 2011
SaabNut!

Garage

Holy Guano, Batman.... Alignment is done... Had to go for a spin becoming back to the office.

I'm in Heaven....

Once the back bushings are done.........

Scotty!! I need more power!!!!
Old 21st March 2011
SaabNut!

Garage
Default Abbott Racing Exhaust

It's looks pretty sweet. I can't wait to get it in....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement