Convertible waterproofing - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop

NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 22nd March 2010

Join Date: Aug 2008                                                
My Saabs: 1996 900S Convertible
Default Convertible waterproofing

I have a 1996 900 convertible, and I'm wondering what the best product is for waterproofing it. I am looking at 2 products 1) the Raggtop and 2) the autosol convertible top impregnating agent.

Any experiences? I actually like the autosol because it is applied with a sponge, which makes it easier in wind.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 22nd March 2010
Saabista

Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
My Saabs: Black on black '97 Saab 3-door SE Turbo

I've never heard of Autosol, though they say they've been around for a long while. Their convertible top protector is pretty pricey: 8.4 oz for $38. That's $4.52/ounce... Ron
Old 22nd March 2010

It is the recommended product by BMW for convertibles http://www.bavauto.com/se1.asp?dept_id=250
Old 22nd March 2010
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
My Saabs: '02-93 Conv. 310Hp/435Nm

Renovo is THE WAY to go, shampoo, tint and waterproofer...
'02-93-2.0T Conv. Maptun Stage 5. '06-95Aero intake. 3" Stainless steel downpipe & race cat. Bilstein/Eibach. ETS Intercooler-Forge Dumpvalve. 22mm ARB. Six point subframe brace. Viggen 308mm front brakes & 95Aero 300mm rear brakes. Full suspension kit, Strut bar & Steering Clamp & brace by GenuineSaab..Lots_O_Fun
Old 22nd March 2010

Join Date: Aug 2001                                                
My Saabs: 95 900SE convt. 97 900S coupe

I use 303. It seems to work well
Old 22nd March 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2005                                                
My Saabs: '96 900SE 2.0t Convertible a.k.a. Aeron

tried both renovo and 303. 303 is much better in my opinion. protected better for longer, and i can pick it up at the local napa. i will be using renovo to redye my top this season, though.
Old 23rd March 2010

Well, I applied RaggTop protectant (after cleaning with RaggTop cleaner). I put 3 coats on. It sat for 3 days with no rain. A good chance to test it last night...torrential rains. I got in the car this morning, and it's still leaking just as much.

Basically, the rails along the side above the windows fill up with water...and the header does too I guess. I was hoping waterproofing the roof would do the trick, but I guess not. I suspect it's the seal...but when I look at it it looks fine...mind you, I have no idea what to look for other than a gaping hole...and I don't see that :-)
Old 23rd March 2010
SaabNut!

Join Date: May 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2001 9-3 SE vert. auto JZW 3+

raggtop does not work for me at all, I put 2 cans of that stuff on my top and it still leaked...303-put one spray bottle on and 3 months later no leakage
Old 23rd March 2010
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2005                                                
My Saabs: '96 900SE 2.0t Convertible a.k.a. Aeron

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishstick_kitty View Post
Basically, the rails along the side above the windows fill up with water...and the header does too I guess. I was hoping waterproofing the roof would do the trick, but I guess not. I suspect it's the seal...but when I look at it it looks fine...mind you, I have no idea what to look for other than a gaping hole...and I don't see that :-)
i've had the same issue ever since getting my car. i honestly don't think any amount of waterproofing is going to do anything against heavy rain for extended periods of time. light rain may bead on my top when freshly treated, but heavy rain will still soak in. try putting rubber treatment on your seals in combination with treating the canvas. that's saved me from having water pouring from the rails for awhile now.
Old 31st March 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabchilten View Post
i've had the same issue ever since getting my car. i honestly don't think any amount of waterproofing is going to do anything against heavy rain for extended periods of time. light rain may bead on my top when freshly treated, but heavy rain will still soak in. try putting rubber treatment on your seals in combination with treating the canvas. that's saved me from having water pouring from the rails for awhile now.
Well, after another 3 inches of rain, I've decided to check on this thread again...this is a good suggestion. What exactly do you mean by "rubber treatment"?

I am also going to apply 303 on my roof...give that a shot.
Old 31st March 2010

Join Date: Feb 2010                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-3 vert t5 auto 185bhp 110k

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishstick_kitty View Post
Well, after another 3 inches of rain, I've decided to check on this thread again...this is a good suggestion. What exactly do you mean by "rubber treatment"?

I am also going to apply 303 on my roof...give that a shot.
Before give it a good wash ..i use 303 fabric cleaner and use soft brush with long bristles. I found out that applying 303 protector by hand with a little spongy roller from hardware store paint department works much better then to spray and waste. Just make sure that you apply it evenly and it will work like a charm. Also i usually do lite 3 layers...first one then bake in the sun..then second one and bake and then third one and bake..usually it takes about 30 min in the full sun to get it dry before next layer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement