Best Wax, polish, etc. Thoughts? Views? - Page 3 - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 25th May 2009
Super Moderator

Join Date: Jul 2008                                                
My Saabs: owns a volvo?

turtle wax ice beads on the paint. my paint was rough to touch when i put this crap on my car (after a good clay bar as well)

never again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 26th May 2009

Join Date: Dec 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2006 Saab 9-3 Aero V6
Default Clay Bar??? How to get the glass look???

I have not heard of using a clay bar on a car before. But after reading the forum just curious on when to use one or how often. Is a clay bar something new???? I also use Meguiars NXT paste wax but I am looking for that glass look. Meguiars is just not cutting it. I read about Dodo Juice hard candy wax and Black Magic Liquid glass, will these products give that glass look effect?
Old 26th May 2009

Join Date: Feb 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-3 Aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbalee View Post
I have not heard of using a clay bar on a car before. But after reading the forum just curious on when to use one or how often. Is a clay bar something new???? I also use Meguiars NXT paste wax but I am looking for that glass look. Meguiars is just not cutting it. I read about Dodo Juice hard candy wax and Black Magic Liquid glass, will these products give that glass look effect?
Clay bar will give you that glass look. I use Meguiars clay bar, then a coat of turtle wax polish and 2 coats of Meguirs NXT every 2-2.5 months and it looks like a big sheet of glass every time. Claybar will take most of the crap stuck to your clear coat and remove it leaving a smooth clean surface. It's a bit spendy at $30-40 for a small brick of it, but it will last a long time.

I don't have any good pictures of my car after a fresh clay/wax on my work computer but i'll see if I can't find one on my home comp this evening to give you an idea of what I'm talking about.
Old 26th May 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2007                                                
My Saabs: '02 9-5 Aero Wagon BCB St. 1

Claybar is only $15 here at the auto parts stores. I use the Meguiars kit which comes with two bars and the quick detailer. You can buy it almost anywhere and it works great. Also a clay bar will not give you a glass look. It really does the opposite because when you use clay you have to go over your car again because you have basically stripped any protection off the car that was previously there. What it does is remove surface contanminents like dirt that may be stuck on your paint. Doing this followed up with a good wash and wax will then give your car a cleaner look. As far as wax I'm going to try out the Finish Kare line. I'm not with $50 on wax when things like Collinite and Duragloss work just as well for a fraction of the cost. I will pick up some Optimum Opti Seal to go on before I apply the wax. I saw some pictures of a few cars that used it and they looked great.

Last edited by cjhutch; 26th May 2009 at 01:45 PM.
Old 26th May 2009

Join Date: May 2009                                                
My Saabs: morries saab

I have a 2006 black 9-3 arc with black 19'' rims, black tint, black tail lights and the only problem that I have is getting those swirl marks out. I am the person that hates when **** is not perfect. even though I wash it all the time and I spend the time to do it myself, instead of driving it through the car wash and I wax it about every other week But I cannot find a product to get those swirls out.

Where can I find the zaino products at?
Old 26th May 2009

Join Date: Feb 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-3 Aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjhutch View Post
Claybar is only $15 here at the auto parts stores. I use the Meguiars kit which comes with two bars and the quick detailer.
WTF? Around here the cheapest i could find it was $34 without the quick detailer. However I do live on a fairly small island and things tend to be a bit more expensive.
Old 26th May 2009

Join Date: Nov 2003                                                
My Saabs: -08 Saab 9-3 SC TTiD, -60 Saab 93F

I´m totally won over by Autoglym´s Extra Gloss. It is sooo nice and easy to use and the finish is just great. Next I´m going to try their High Definition Wax.
Old 6th June 2009

Join Date: Apr 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9-3 Convertible ARC

Sort of a thread revival, but:

I just spent 4 hours washing, clay bar treating, and waxing the Saab. I used the Turtle Wax Ice wash, clar bar system, and polish. I am very happy with the results. Even in the shadows of my garage you can now see the shelfs on the wall clearly reflected in the mirror like hood.

The only Ice product I didn't like was the total interior care. It leaves black surfaces dull. It worked fine in my wife's Jeep's gray interior, but was totally lifeless and flat compared to Meguier's interior shine products.
Old 6th June 2009

Join Date: Apr 2009                                                
My Saabs: 93 2.0t Salon Vector sport

I use chemical guys shampoo, meguiars clay bar and QD for lube, autoglym super resin polish, CG EZ glaze, CG 50/50 wax (2 coats).

After a wash, I use CG blitz spray to top up and buff to a nice shine.

Wheels I wash, clay, polish, CG wheel guard.

I think I will move onto a machine polisher soon as all this work by hand kills. Some people use up to 5 layers of autoglym SRP, I got to 2 and arms were dying, so the swirl removal/hiding was not as good as I wanted. I wanted to put 2 glazes on too, but couldnt lol, just managed the two waxes. Took 7 hours and that didnt include the 3 hours of clay baring the week before.
Old 6th June 2009

Join Date: Dec 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2008 93 2.0T Convertible
Default Like most answers... it depends

My routine really depends on what my car has gone through since I last washed it... For a COMPLETE wash I do the following...

1. Wash wheels with P21S Wheel Cleaner
2. Wash top (I have a convertible) with RaggTop Cleaner
3. Wash Car with P21S Car wash (seperate wash and rinse buckets)
4. Dry Car with Microfiber Waffle Weave Towels
5. Clay Bar with Wolfgang's Clay Bar & Lubricant
6. Wash Car again with P21S Car Wash (2 buckets Again)
7. Dry Car again with Microfiber Waffle Weave Towels
8. Clean Windows (inside and out) with Stoners Invisible Glass
9. RaggTop Protector
10. P21S Paintwork Cleansing Lotion
11. Poor Boys Black Hole Glaze (Jet Black Metallic makes this a must)
12. P21S Carnuba Wax
13. Poor Boys Bold and Bright Tire Dressing
14. Poor Boys Wheel Sealant
15. Vacuum the interior
16. RaggTop leather Cleaner
17. RaggTop leather conditioner/protector
18. PoorBoys Natural Look Dressing for the plastic/etc
19. Curse at the few waterspots that came from the rag top while it was drying.
20. Go for a quick ride, then sit back and have a beer while looking at myself in the reflection.

I'll only do that about 2 times/year (shortly after winter, and again in mid-summer) because it takes 8 hours and my arm is ready to fall off when its done.

Usually I'll wash it with P21S each weekend (Always 2 buckets to avoid swirls) and dress the tires/interior. If the top is a mess, then I'll wash it with the RaggTop stuff. Becasue it's black, I use Wolfgang's instant Detail Spritz to keep it shiny.

I stay away from automatic washes because I don't trust them with the rag top (Yes, I know they are very durable... but I'm paranoid about it), and the touchless washes just don't get all of the grime off.
Old 8th June 2009

Join Date: Jan 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 Aero SportCombi

Pinnacle Liquid Souverän Wax

http://www.autogeek.net/pinliqsouvwa.html

The website also has great "How-To" writeups.

I also bought their really expensive Wolfgang Fuzion wax but I preferred the Pinnacle Souveran.
Old 22nd November 2009

Join Date: Nov 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2006 Saab 93 Sport Sedan

I just clayed my car

1 coat Meg's Show Car #7
1 coat Meg's NXT 2.0 Paste Wax

Car looked amazing, took all the swirl marks out!

Going to do another coat of NXT 2.0 today and clean/condition my leather with Lexol
Old 22nd November 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
My Saabs: 9³SS Aero BSR Stage 3

Wax does NOT remove swirl marks... it only fills them in.

Products such as Megs are mostly filler... very little actual product and what there is isn't much good.

I use Menzerna 3.02/PO85RD MEDIUM CUT, 106FA final finish polish and Blackfire MidnightSun paste wax. Takes me around 5hrs for a proper detail and if the weather holds out next weekend, I'm doing my final detail for this year... to get the paintwork ready for the winter.

Blackfire is far and away the finest wax I've used. It's not practical though, as each coat takes between 6-8hrs to cure but it sets like concrete. Some advertise the "wet" look but this is the only one I've used which actually delivers. Very deep shine, to the point where it's virtually a mirror image. It's not cheap nor easy to use, but if you're willing to put in the time, you won't be disappointed.

Old 22nd November 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2008                                                
My Saabs: Until 7/2010 9-3AERO SS,2.0T(previous)
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision i.T Services View Post

Products such as Megs are mostly filler... very little actual product and what there is isn't much good.

I use Menzerna 3.02/PO85RD MEDIUM CUT, 106FA final finish polish and Blackfire MidnightSun paste wax. Takes me around 5hrs for a proper detail and if the weather holds out next weekend, I'm doing my final detail for this year... to get the paintwork ready for the winter.

Blackfire is far and away the finest wax I've used. It's not practical though, as each coat takes between 6-8hrs to cure but it sets like concrete. Some advertise the "wet" look but this is the only one I've used which actually delivers. Very deep shine, to the point where it's virtually a mirror image. It's not cheap nor easy to use, but if you're willing to put in the time, you won't be disappointed.

Thanks Vis. Does anyone in the U.S use this ? Where could I find it here ? I'd love to detail my car in the next week if I can find a few hours to do it in, probably Thanksgiving Day.
Your Texas Realtor since1995.Sorry, I crossed to the Bavarian dark sideMY FACEBOOK PAGE WITH/SAAB TURBO LIFE GALLERY. JET BLACK/TAN DAKOTA '11 335i N55 Twin Power/ZFSteptronic/SPORT/PREMIUM/NAVIGATION/DINAN 355HP/401LBFT, Previous: E92 328i 6MT SPORT/PREMIUM, '08 9-3Aero SS, '07 9-3 2.0T Premium,'06 COBB STAGE III WRX - GEARBOX KEPT BREAKING,etc.
Old 22nd November 2009

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutcher07 View Post
I have a 2006 black 9-3 arc with black 19'' rims, black tint, black tail lights and the only problem that I have is getting those swirl marks out. I am the person that hates when **** is not perfect. even though I wash it all the time and I spend the time to do it myself, instead of driving it through the car wash and I wax it about every other week But I cannot find a product to get those swirls out.

Where can I find the zaino products at?

Wash it with Dawn Dish Soap
Buy a Clay Bar kit, you can meg's kit at autozone/advance auto/etc
Buy some Meg's Show Car #7 or Meg's Swirl X
Top it with your favorite wax

Swirl marks will be gone...promise!
Old 22nd November 2009

Quote:

Looks nice but 70 bucks for wax is crazy! I want to pick up some Blackfire sealant though!!. While Meg's OTC products do contain more filler their professional products are very good. Mirror Glaze. They have a full line of bodyshop products as well.

Meg's has everything from fine/medium/heavy compounds, polishes, waxes, and sealants like Blackfire.

While blackfire is a very good product and I want to pick some up, Meg's has as good of products. With the right Meg's product you can do any paint correction you wish.
Old 22nd November 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2007                                                
My Saabs: '02 9-5 Aero Wagon BCB St. 1

Quote:

That is an amazing metallic flake pop you've got there. What color is your car? Mine is Espresso Black Metallic and while I get the same pop it's often muted a bit. I think I need to switch to a pure carnauba because I've read that a lot of sealants tend to mute the flake of metallic paints. I was going to pick up the Blackfire sealant because I have seen how good that looks in person.
Old 22nd November 2009
SaabNut!

Join Date: Feb 2009                                                
My Saabs: '07 Aero Conv Fusion Blue VTune Stage 0

About 4 months ago, I started using Liquid Glass. You have to remove any wax that is on the car before you apply the Liquid Glass, but after that it is fairly easy to apply and reapply (and it beads really well).
Old 23rd November 2009
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jun 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2004 93 convert
Garage
Default WASH CLAY Wax

HD Zymol Cleanse... Used Eagle one on the scratched sites, Meguiar's® Ultimate Quik Wax then Zymol

Overall the SAAB paint is unreal and for a black cars cleans up well

Last edited by saabsmooth; 23rd November 2009 at 12:20 PM.
Old 23rd November 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
My Saabs: 9³SS Aero BSR Stage 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by saab0693 View Post
Looks nice but 70 bucks for wax is crazy! I want to pick up some Blackfire sealant though!!. While Meg's OTC products do contain more filler their professional products are very good. Mirror Glaze. They have a full line of bodyshop products as well.

Meg's has everything from fine/medium/heavy compounds, polishes, waxes, and sealants like Blackfire.

While blackfire is a very good product and I want to pick some up, Meg's has as good of products. With the right Meg's product you can do any paint correction you wish.
I'd rather spend $70 on a professional wax than $20 on a "quick bang for your buck" imitation. At the end of the day, I'd only spend hours on a detail if a) the paint benefits from it and b) there's a visible and long-lasting effect.

For cars with soft paint, cheapy off-the-shelf products like Megs Scratch Remover / NXT Tech are perfectly adequate... there are plenty of ricer forums with users raving about the stuff. SAAB paint is one of the hardest paints on the market. Megs and other such polish/wax just won't cut it (no pun intended). It looks great for the first few days, but it soon wears off. Professional product needs applying with a rotary / DA Polisher. I use the Megs G220 DA polisher. No risk of burning the paint/strikethrough and very nearly as good as a rotary.

@cjhutch

That isn't my car... it's a picture taken by the detailer I buy all my detailing gear from. He swears by the stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement