SaabCentral Forums banner

Rotting Shark Fin Antenna !!

44K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  SovangW 
#1 · (Edited)
I noticed that my antenna was falling apart a couple of weeks ago so decided to replace it. I have painted the new one hopefully to keep the elements away so it lasts a while longer !!

Old one :

New one :

The job is pretty easy to do....

1) Lower rear seat backs and Remove parcel shelf. This is done by pushing in the centres and removing the 3 clips on the front edge then pulling the shelf gently towards the front of the car.

2) Flip off the cover on the C pillars that have 'airbag' embossed on them.... this will expose a 10mm bolt. Get a socket on it and remove it. The C pillar trims will now pull off with a gentle pull to overcome the press stud type plastic clips behind the panel.

3) Remove the cover over the high level brake light by gently pulling the bottom edge then sliding it downwards.

4) Remove the plastic headlining retainer that sits an inch or so forward of the brake light cover. This can be quite stubborn but does just pull out...be brave !!

5) Remove the rear passenger grab handles. These are just an unplug item. Each end of the grab handles have what appear to be covers... I found that the best way to remove them was to use a thin flat bladed screwdriver placed between the cover and the centre of the handle then just gently pull the ends outwards... see pics.

6) This allows the headlining to be gently pulled downwards to expose the antenna retaining nut and the cable connectors. Be VERY VERY carefull when pulling the headlining down...it's FRAGILE..if you use TOO MUCH force you will put a crack in the headlining 'inner board' that WILL BE VISIBLE THROUGH THE CLOTH COVERING..... YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED !!!

7) Undo the nut.. 22mm spanner or socket and release the cable connectors. Gently pull the antenna from the roof of the car.

See less See more
#4 ·
See here in the US we don't get to use the phone option without having onstar at least in my model I can't. So really I don't need to pay $200 or w/e to buy an antenna with a bunch of parts that I no longer need or can use when I can just buy the dummy antenna(basically a shell antenna with no inerds) when I can get that dummy for $60 or something close to it...

edit... I'm also curious to find out if painting will keep the thing from cracking..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.