[HOW TO] By-pass Neutral Safety Switch NSS - Page 3 - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop

NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 16th September 2009
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Apr 2009                                                
My Saabs: saab 900se

Quote:
Originally Posted by coliphage View Post

"the car won't start again. I just touched the wires and wuhuuuu, the car started right away, JUST PUSH THE BUTTON!

The total cost is a switch, two feet wire, some insulating tape, and 1 hour work. Thanks to everybody answered my questions and participated in the discussion. Also thank the fellows on SaabNet sharing the experience on how to by-pass the NSS.

Wait sooo could we use this same concept for

a PUSH START button? if so then thats crazy easy and might do it for fun

yes i am pretty awsome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 16th September 2009
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Jan 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1997 900S

Quote:
Originally Posted by saabmarine View Post
Wait sooo could we use this same concept for

a PUSH START button? if so then thats crazy easy and might do it for fun
SURE If your car is automatic, has the key in the ignition in the on position when you push the button and the neutral safety switch is busted

Otherwise no. But there are ways to do it through the electrical part of the ignition. You'll still need to have the key in the ignition and in the on position so there's no advantage to doing that.
Old 16th September 2009
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Apr 2009                                                
My Saabs: saab 900se

well a while back i read the s2000 push start thread and it seemed liek alot of work and had the same concept of turning the key to the on position and pressing the nss button. so why cant u use this all the time

yes i am pretty awsome
Old 17th September 2009
Saabista

Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
My Saabs: Black on black '97 Saab 3-door SE Turbo

You could always run it through the brake pedal switch so that the brake would have to be applied before there would be continuety to the start button - which would add a level of safety... Ron
Old 17th September 2009
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Jan 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1997 900S
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by '97 Saab SE Turbo View Post
You could always run it through the brake pedal switch so that the brake would have to be applied before there would be continuety to the start button - which would add a level of safety... Ron
That is a genius solution
I'm currently going to do the NSS bypass as a test on the project car but was thinking about using another rear fog light switch placed upside down in the blank space under the fog light switch. Your method is much safer even though I'm just using this momentary switch as a diagnosis not a solution to the problem.
Old 17th September 2009
Saabista

Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
My Saabs: Black on black '97 Saab 3-door SE Turbo

Hey man, thanks for the comment. Another problem that I see is the oil pressure switch seems to be closed for an oil pressure alarm. If pressure is present, the switch is open and - No alarm. Unfortunately, any open in the alarm system (including the sensor) fails to close and bring in the alarm. That's just like a fire alarm that closes to cause a fire alarm - what happens when something in that circuit burns open? No alarm... Ron
Old 20th March 2010

Join Date: Nov 2009                                                
My Saabs: 2001 Saab 9-5 GT
Default 2001 9-5

This worked great on mine. Now there are other issues with my NSS, like not going into reverse from park but fine from drive. And after the car warms up the tranny goes into limp mode(it defaults to third gear only) and the gear light and check engine lights are on. So I bought a used NSS on Ebay. My question is, Can I keep the push start switch or will it mess up the replacement NSS?
Old 20th March 2010

Join Date: Mar 2010                                                
My Saabs: 1999 Saab 93 103k

Will this switch work for the bypass?

https://www.dormanproducts.com/cgi-b...tegory_list=:0
Old 21st March 2010

Join Date: Dec 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 2.3t wagon

The push button start should have no effect on the new NSS. Only now you shouldn't ever need it . Let us know if it solves all of your problems.

Chris
Old 7th July 2010

Join Date: Oct 2009                                                
My Saabs: '03 9-3 Vertible '07 9-5 Wagon
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MATT C View Post
In your write-up you say to by-pass pin 30 & 87, but in your photo it looks like you used pin 86. Did I miss something? Even if the NSS was not faulty this by-pass should let the engine start right!
I was going to do this bypass on my 9-5. (not trying to hijack this thread, just clarify for myself & others)

The relay is identical (the dash panel access is different however). When I look at the contacts on my car, and at Coliphage's excellent images, he's not connecting to the 87 terminal, it's the #86 he's attached to. #87 is top center, as you can see in the image. When you look at the relay diagram, it seeems to show that you should go 30 to 87 to bypass the relay, not 86.

So, has anyone else run into this when they tried this bypass? The only comment I see are by Matt C who noticed the 86 not 87 terminal. Not sure, should I actually go to the actual (as-shown) #86?
Old 17th October 2011
SaabNut!

My Saabs: 2001 9-5

Thanks for the AWESOME Tip. I just did the same myself and did a post on the 9-5 board since that what I drive. Basically the same as yours with a few minor changes.....posted some pics of my own. Biggest difference is I used a 20A push button Starter switch.

I went from 30-87 NOT 30-86 and it worked for me. I am still unclear if the picture is right or the the actual terminal numbers are right. If anyone can clarify even though I know this is an old thread I would appreciate it! If it needs to be 30-86 I need to go back in there and change it....

Super Solution!

post on 9-5 board:

http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=220318

Last edited by 8pack; 17th October 2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old 9th February 2012

Join Date: Nov 2011                                                
My Saabs: 1995 Saab 900se 2.5 v6
Garage

Just dix all this and my starting issue is not the nss.do. idk what I'm going to to next.
Old 11th February 2012
SaabNut!

Is it cranking over at all? Did you verify the relay was good? Did you wire to the correct Pins? If you have properly done this fix and it is not cranking then it is the relay or starter. I suspect you didn't get it quite right.......note, I used pin 30 and 87 which directly energizes the starter and does not go through the NSS wiring...
Old 13th March 2012

Join Date: Apr 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2001 Saab 93

I've had the no start problem about 10 times over the last year so I'm thinking about going through this bypass over the weekend.

One question: after performing the bypass, do you start the car as normal (just using the key) and then ONLY use the push button when the car is not starting?
Old 13th March 2012
SaabNut!

Exactly. You got it. 90% of the time the key works normally. 10% of the time I turn it just to the on position and use the button when the NSS doesn't work.
Old 13th March 2012

Join Date: Apr 2011                                                
My Saabs: 2001 Saab 93

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8pack View Post
Exactly. You got it. 90% of the time the key works normally. 10% of the time I turn it just to the on position and use the button when the NSS doesn't work.
Fantastic - thanks for the quick reply. I'll give it a go this weekend!

Both my wife and I have had the no start issue happen to us in more than a few parking lots around the city, so hopefully this will keep that from happening again!
Old 13th March 2012

Join Date: Aug 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2005 9-3 2.0t Convertable

This is a great work around fix, but it's possible to remove the the NSS and fix the switch don't spend big $$$ on a new switch. The hardest part is removing the switch once it's out the, cleaning and re fitting of the switch is not too bad.

Cleaned my NSS a 18 months back and has been fine ever since.

Remove Battery

Remove Battery Plate

Loosen P\S resovoir this will just give you enough space to get to the 17mm nut on the NSS

Remove Auto Dipstick from NSS

Ensure car is in Park, a lot of the how to's tell you to put the car in N this just caused me problem as the NSS and the gearbox moved on re fitting and got out of sync, So I just went with P and it worked fine.

Remove 13mm cable nut on top of NSS

Remove the 17mm bolt on the NSS this is one that is a pain to get to and will take time due to lack of space, but you can do it with a small stubby 17" ring spanner. Just move the PS hose over to the side.

Then remove the 15mm bolt on the right of the NSS
Un clip the NSS from the connector harness

And remove may be tricky to pull of gearbox spindle you need to ensure the PS hose is out the way and your pulling the NSS right up

Once out drill each of the rivets out carefully

Now be careful none of the 6 internal springs and contacts fall out you really don't want to lose them, so go slow

Once open you can clean the old grease of I used contact cleaner, I also slightly stretched each of the 6 contact springs. I used WD40 and then refitted the springs and contacts replaced the drilled out rivets with screws.

Ensure the switch is in the P position before re fitting which is clock wise with the connector cable at the top.

Re fit is reverse and much quicker, before you put everything back ensure the switch positions is correct and your reverse lights work and the and you have full range of gear positions, and of course check the car starts.

Good luck
Old 21st July 2012

Join Date: Nov 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2002 9-3 - 1992 900S Convertible
Default NSS bypass correction 30/86 not 30/87

Just finished the NSS switch bypass. Tried the 30/87 connection with no luck, the car would not start when I pushed the button on the momentary switch. When I tried 30/86 it works as it should. An earlier post clearly shows the connection is 30/86 in the photo but the written directions read 30/87. I did get a check engine light - hope that I can clear it at the auto parts store.
Old 4th March 2013

Join Date: Jul 2009                                                
My Saabs: Black 2002 Saab 9-5

Hi,

I am this situation now and I am a student stuck in NDSU, which is about 7 hours drive back home in Minnesota. When you mentioned 30/87, do you mean wired the fuse 30 and fuse 87 together to a $2 switch mounted on the dash somewhere?

I have a week to get this fixed as I am going home for the spring break next week.

Help!!

Thanks,

Jay
Old 4th March 2013

Join Date: Nov 2008                                                
My Saabs: 2002 9-3 - 1992 900S Convertible
Default Jay at ndsu

Follow the directions at the beginning of this thread - it requires minimal cost, skill and few tools. It seems odd that you are having this problem in ND, this is usually a hot weather problem. Good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement