P1624 and P0705 - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-5 Mk.I, 1998-2009 > 9-5 Workshop

9-5 Workshop 9-5 Workshop (1997 to 2010) Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 29th July 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Apr 2006                                                
My Saabs: '09 WRX
Default P1624 and P0705

I was out driving on Sunday and I noticed, as I was slowing down to park, that the check engine and check gearbox lights were on. I looked at my gear selector (I have an automatic) and it was physically in D but on the dashboard it said it was in 2nd gear. I generally pay attention to the dash while on the road and definitely wouldn’t have continued driving if I had seen that gearbox light earlier on so I hope it was just a recent occurrence. And I had been going 50-60 mph on the highway but it didn’t sound at all during the trip like the car was redlining, so I hope that this was just some sort of an electrical error and that the car wasn’t actually in 2nd the whole time. The last thing I really want to do right now is shell out over a grand for a replacement transmission. Weird thing is, after a couple of hours parked, I returned to my car and both lights disappeared and haven’t reappeared since.

The codes I pulled while the lights were on were P1624 (tranny emissions?) and P0705 (relates to neutral safety switch). I didn’t see much on this site related to the P1624 code. I’ve also been having a phantom P0440 code which I thought having a fuel tank crack epoxied would fix, but the code keeps coming back and disappearing on its own. It usually appears when there’s about a half tank of gas left and disappears after refueling. The P0440 code was not present at the time the lights came on. I don’t know if it’s related, but the P1624 code appears to have some connection with emissions.

Does anyone have any thoughts about what is causing the problem here? It didn’t seem as if anything was out of the ordinary with the transmission, but it is a bit alarming to have it in one gear physically and see it come up as something else on the dash. Transmissions aren’t cheap so I’d like to rectify this before it comes to down getting a replacement! And I'm trying to avoid getting stuck miles from home in limp home mode. Thanks in advance for any assistance provided.

Last edited by TurboBlix; 29th July 2009 at 02:19 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 29th July 2009
Saab Sage!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: .

No idea Blix but I found this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gghh View Post
P1624 TCM Shift request for automatic gearbox failed
Mybe gghh can help a little further
I decline to grant to SAABCENTRAL.COM a non exclusive, royalty free, worldwide, perpetual license to reproduce, distribute, transmit, sublicense, create derivative works of, publicly display, publish and perform any materials and other information I submit to any public areas....
Old 29th July 2009
Saab Lunatic

Interesting. Elsewhere I've read that P1624 is "transmission has stored emissions fault" but ggh's description seems more apt. If I don't hear anything further, I may just send him a PM. Thanks!
Old 29th July 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Dec 2006                                                
My Saabs: BMW 530D Touring xDrive

P1624 is a transmission shift fault. TCM requests a gear change but it doesnt happen. Check your transmission oil level and fluid condition.

Start fixing the errors with your gear position sensor (P0705), as this can also fix your P1624 error.

P0440 doesnt exist and there is no relation to the gearbox.
Old 29th July 2009
Saab Lunatic

Thanks for the tips!

P0440 was off the top of my head. Whatever the accurate code was, it was the one for minor evap leak. But it doesn't sound like it matters anyway.
Old 2nd August 2009
Saab Lunatic

I checked the ATF and it was red and didn't appear to be low. Then I took it to an indie who said the problem was definitely the sensor, so I had that replaced. It wasn't cheap but cost a lot less than the replacement transmission I would have had to purchase if I had held off on the repair. It looks like, as Gghh said, this also corrected the P1624 code.
Old 13th February 2012

Join Date: Nov 2011                                                
My Saabs: Saab 9-5
Garage

I had the same issue today with the two trans codes, but they also disappeared.

So all I would have to do is get a new gear position sensor? Anyone know where I can get one? Any links?

Thanks.
Old 15th February 2012

Join Date: Nov 2011                                                
My Saabs: Saab 9-5
Garage

So yesterday I went to go move my car and it would only go in reverse but it was showing up as in park. It took forever to get the car back in my driveway.

This morning the dash light were still on however It's driving perfectly fine and is responding fine. Anyone know where I can get the sensor from? What the name of it is?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement