Unable to stop alarm (due to dead battery.) - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop

NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 1st July 2009

Join Date: Jun 2009                                                
My Saabs: NG900S
Default Unable to stop alarm (due to dead battery.)

I have a '94 NG900, which has a "deadlock" mode (turn key to horizontal before removing) but no remotely activated alarm.

Today I left the lights in the "parking light" position and drained my battery. Oops.

I hooked up a jump start device, the car still wouldn't turn over, and while looking into that I reached into the car and maually opened the font passenger and rear drivers side doors. After doing this as soon as I put power to the car (with the jump starter) the alarm goes off - the horn keeps beeping and and the indicator lights flash. I could not figure out how to stop stop this, either by using the key or locking/unlocking doors. I couldn't try starting the car because the battery was completely dead, and the jumpstart unit alone isn't enough to turn over the starter motor... or maybe the immobilizer triggered.

I've placed the battery on a charger overnight to hopefully get enough power to get the car going again... but I'm worried that the alarm will go off once more as soon as I reconnect the battery.

So my question is: When the alarm goes off, how do I stop it? Would it normally be fixed by putting the key in the drivers door and locking/unlocking the doors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 1st July 2009
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Dec 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-3 T7 5-Speed 5-Door

You can disarm the alarm by unlocking the driver's door with the key. If the alarm is armed, the immobilizer will prevent the starter motor from energizing.
Old 1st July 2009

In that case the Alarm will presumably shut down when I open the door after restoring enough power to get things liek central locking working again. (completely dead battery & jumpstarter == just dimly lighting up the dashboard and lights)
Old 1st July 2009
SaabNut!

Join Date: Oct 2007                                                
My Saabs: '99 9-5 X3, '00 9-3,'98 900
Garage

I have had this problem several times and have never really found a good solution. A new battery ultimately solves the problem but I understand the annoyance because the damn thing just won't quit. I have been told by the pros it is because the alarm module is independent and has its own backup battery. On one of my cars I unplugged the alarm module and everything still works except the alarm even the red led still flashes just don't get the chirp for lock and unlock. The other car I had my shop program the alarm out or off. it toots the horn now when locking and unlocking. The other thing that the pros have suggested is to deactivate the alarm. This is done by putting the key in the drivers door lock and turning it to the left three times from the neutral position. Do it again three times and it will be rearmed or you will be in Kansas. The key thing is also explained in your owners manual. Good luck!
Old 1st July 2009
Saabista

Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
My Saabs: Black on black '97 Saab 3-door SE Turbo

Ok, more good information... Ron
Old 2nd July 2009

Good news: I put in a new battery, the alarm went off, I locked and unlocked the drivers door and it went quiet.

So it looks like the alarm has its own state information that lets it remember that it is going off even with the main battery disconnected, but you can't disable the alarm until you have enough power to get all the cars accessories online again.
Old 2nd July 2009
Saabista

Join Date: Nov 2002                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 SC, 2013 Volvo C70

Um, yea that's kind of the point of any good alarm. If it was easy enough to disable by just cutting the power, it wouldn't be very effective.

99% of all alarms work the same way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement