Great article on the technology and evolution of the Ecotec engine - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 31st January 2007

Join Date: Dec 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2007 2.0T
Default Great article on the technology and evolution of the Ecotec engine

Just read a great article in an online car magazine, windingroad (www.windingroad.com) Talks about the global collaboration and technology of the ecotec engine found in the 4 cylinder 9-3's. Worth checking out if you're a technical type...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 2nd February 2007
SaabNut!

Join Date: Apr 2006                                                
My Saabs: 06 9-3 SS

thanks for the tip. It is in the new March issue.

Winding Road is a new internet car magazine published by David E Davis, Jr., the founder of Automobile. It is a really nice publication and available for download 100% FREE. Good stuff!

It must be free because of the failure of MPH, another mag with really great writing+photography IMO, that failed on the newsstands.
Old 2nd February 2007
SaabNut!

PS, the Ecotec article brings up the question... why doesn't Saab use the 260hp version of the motor in the 9-3 and 9-5?
Old 2nd February 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2006                                                
My Saabs: '03 9-3SS Vector

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwik
PS, the Ecotec article brings up the question... why doesn't Saab use the 260hp version of the motor in the 9-3 and 9-5?
Because the US market wants a V6 under the hood even if an I4 can do the same job more economically, and now the V6 puts out 260 to put the I4 in there would cannibalise the V6 sales (or at least make it pointless).

And prior to the V6 I would guess because the 9-5 needs to be the more powerful car so they could not have a 260hp 93 and 260hp 95.
Old 2nd February 2007
SaabNut!

Yeah, marketing is in favor, for sure. But the 2.0T motor continues (20 years on) to be a better choice for many vehicles. Look how successful VW is going to be with their new 2.0T FSI motor.

I applaud Acura RDX and Maxda CX-7 for putting 4cyl turbos on SUV duty. This is a good option. They didn't do it because it was easy. They did it because 4cyl turbos are now mechanically superior to V6s up to about the 240hp level. Or, that is my take on it.
Old 2nd February 2007
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Mar 2004                                                
My Saabs: '06 95 SC & '08 TurboX SC - Tech2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwik
uh, the 260HP version is in the 95.
Old 2nd February 2007
SaabNut!

Nah, I believe the 9-5 has a 2.3l motor related to the 1993 Saab 9000 Aero. That is also a nice motor, but is not related to the GM Ecotec family.

Since I often drove our 1995 9000 Aero, I would say the 2.0 Ecotec 210hp is a smoother motor, but less powerful. The 2.3 has at times had torque "overboost" up to ~270 lb-ft torque.

Anyway, the 260hp 2.0T Ecotec is available in the Saturn Sky Red Line right now. I guess it has a bigger turbo to get the impressive 130hp/liter. Heck, you could probably chip that beast to 300hp!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement