taking off the headlight lens - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 14th July 2005

Join Date: Apr 2005                                                
My Saabs: 04 Saab 9-3 Linear 2.0t
Default taking off the headlight lens

How do I get off the lens on the headlight fixture? Damn led bulb fell into the compartment and I cant get it out Any helps appreciated. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 14th July 2005
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jun 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9 SS Aero, 6M

I'm *almost* positive it's glued to the reflector. You will probably have to remove the assembly. Then you could just tip it up to let it slide out. I think the clips you see are only to hold the lens in place while the glue sets, to maintain pressure.

I was dubbing around with my city lights the other afternoon and almost lost one in there myself. I can't get my fingers in the mouonting cup very well at all (passenger side, no less).
Old 14th July 2005

And to take out the assembly I'd have to take off the whole front bumper, correct? Errr :\ Any easier way to get out the bulb?
Old 15th July 2005

Join Date: Jan 2003                                                

Yes, it is glued to the reflector. However you don't have to remove it to get the bulbs out, but you have to remove the front bumper in order to get the assembly out. Then you can get the bulb inside the assembly out through the hole for the headlight.

If you need more guidelines don't hesitate to ask.

I have made the same mistake. Twice.
Old 15th July 2005
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jun 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2004 9 SS Aero, 6M

I think that taking off the front bumper covering and removing the headlight is the easier way to take it out.

Actually, removing the bumper cover sounds not that bad at all, from the posts I have read here. A half-dozen Torx screws, and the half dozen plastic buttons near the lood latch.

The black plastic buttons are easy, same as for the trunk lid liner. You depress the center dot to release them, and lift them right out of the hole. To re-install them, you give the center post a quarter-turn and then push the center post back out so the button (dot) is protruding. Reinsert the assembly into the hole, and depress the button until it is again flush. It's ingenious, and there is no danger at all of breaking any cheesy clips or buttons.
Old 15th July 2005

Sounds like you all are saying its not too hard to take off the front bumper?? Sounds good to me. And then I'll be able to take out the whole headlight assembly correct?? Thanks guys, I'll give it a try and I'll post up further questions if I have any. Thanks!!
Old 15th July 2005

Join Date: Oct 2004                                                

why remove the whole bumper...my friends headlight bulbs busted in his car and he just used a long tweezer looking thing to get it out....almost like a chopstick...wouldnt be too hard to put something together using a wire hanger....just a thought
Old 15th July 2005

Join Date: Jan 2003                                                

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEROplane
why remove the whole bumper...my friends headlight bulbs busted in his car and he just used a long tweezer looking thing to get it out....almost like a chopstick...wouldnt be too hard to put something together using a wire hanger....just a thought
It is very easy to scratch the reflector so be careful using this method.
Old 15th July 2005
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Mar 2004                                                

you know those spring shafted grabber claw thingies.. use one of those w/ duct tape on the end. GOD i love duct tape..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement