Installing speakers in front doors - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop

NG900 & OG9-3 Workshop NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 14th March 2005

Join Date: Mar 2005                                                
My Saabs: Saab 9-3 S 1999
Default Installing speakers in front doors

Hello everyone, this is my first post.

I bought my 1997 900S last month, and apart from a few issues (wind noise being the most irritating), I am very pleased with the car. The dealer will try to correct the wind noise problem.
I have however bought a new set of speakers that I plan to install before driving over 2000 km next week.

The 6x9 speakers in the rear was relatively easy to install, but I am having problems with the front door panels, where I plan to insert two 6,5" woofers.

I hope someone here can tell me how to take off the door cover. I have found the two screws under the door and I have opened the diagonal bar, uncovering two more screws. I wonder if I have to remove the cover which is right inside the mirror, and how to do that. I also wonder how to unhook the door opener handle. If there are any other hints to how I can do this in an easy way, please let me know.

I also have a pair of tweeters that I will install in the front speaker slots, and those covers were easy to take off and I don't expect any problems there. Should I?

Thanks,

Stig
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 14th March 2005
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2003                                                
My Saabs: 96V4 -13,000 miles | Saab 9-3SS Aero

Hi Largo77 and welcome to SaabCentral.

Try this link http://www.saabnet.com/sites/audioguide/

and go to 'Fitting Hints'.

HTH
Old 14th March 2005

Join Date: May 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2008 9-3 SS 2.0 6Spd JZW Stage 1

Yes remove the mirror cover, as it will prevent you from being able to lift the top of the panel enough to clear the lock and slide out from under the interior top edge trim piece. You have to use a punch, awl or nail to push the plastic pins into the holes. (The pins expand the shafts inside the housing, holding it securely. When you push them through, the shafts can be compressed when you pry the larger plastic piece out of the hole. The pins will be lying inside the mirror housing after you remove it.) Then look on the rear door edge near the lock. There is another one there. You can push this one in most of the way and then withdraw it. It has a provision for holding the pin and not permitting it to be pushed all the way through, so when you withdraw it, it should be all one piece.

Then you have to remove the small black plastic screw cover from the inside door pull. Use a very small hook and insert it in the teeny tiny hole in the cover and pull. It snaps right out and there you will find the last screw. After you have removed it, pry the front of the door pull recess out, leaving the rear portion as close to the panel as you can. Wiggle it a little and it usually just falls right out.

Now grasp the door panel at the bottom and tug gently till loose. Now grasp the sides about mid way up and give quick sharp tug to release the compression clips that are inside. The door is now loose. You now have to weasel (a technical mechanic’s term) the door at the top to slide it out from under the trim strip so you can lift it over the door lock and voila, it is free.

Welcome to Saab Central.
Old 14th March 2005

Thanks a lot, guys. That was very helpful!
Old 14th March 2005

Join Date: Jan 2005                                                
My Saabs: 9-3 2.8T Aero SC

largo, you'll need some spacers to fit 6.5's in the front doors,

I let cartoys do it, but the sound is amazing. Good luck.

Search for previous posts of mine on the subject, Jan-Feb 05.
Old 15th March 2005

Yeah, I was wondering whether I needed spacers. Thanks for the tip.

Of course, I had to take off the speaker cover on the door, did that before I thought of counselling you lot. Won't do that on the other door, now that I've learned ...

By the way, I am putting in a JBL system but I haven't bought an amp yet, I want to see how my Sony 4x50 head unit copes first. Besides, it seems like I have enough of a problem finding room for the crossovers.

Thanks,

Stig
Old 16th March 2005

Join Date: Jan 2005                                                
My Saabs: 9-3 2.8T Aero SC

You wont have any bass with just the HU powering the dash and rears, trust me

The rears are too 'far' away from you and should really be thought of as backfill.

Dont get me wrong, I'm no basshead, but 50w of Amp power to each 6.5" properly mounted in the doors is more than ample for mid/bass, even with windows down at 60mph...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement