radio only works when headlights are on - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Classic 900, 1979-1993 & '94 Convertible > Saab Classic 900 Workshop
Saab Classic 900 Workshop Classic Saab 900 (1979-1993 & '94 Convertible) Technical Forum.

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 13-07-12

Join Date: Jul 2012                                                
My Saabs: 900i 16v
Question radio only works when headlights are on

any idea why? maybe i need to post a pick of the wiring on this new kenwood.
it works fine when the headlights are on, but even when the key is out i can turn on the stereo by turning the parking lights on, somewhere there must be something crossing, but where?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 13-07-12
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2011                                                
My Saabs: 92 vert t16, 97 9K CSE

You'd have to take a look at the wiring schemes in your Bentleys. The headlights have continuous switched power to the switch but the headlight function is wired to cut out when the key is off.

Like if you wired it to the headlight wiring coming after the switch then it's only going to have power when the light switch is at Parking light (always powered) or when the key is on and the headlights are on (switched power) [for example...not sure if the light switch is wired after the switch...just a visual so you can get your head around what to look for]
1992 Turbo 'vert, 1997 9000 CSE
Old 13-07-12
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2004                                                
My Saabs: 1991 900 16v Turbo Convertible SE

The Kenwood is an aftermarket unit, yes? (Don't know what they supplied in Europe).

There were TWO power inputs to the Clarion head units that were original equipment: the main power input is switched through the ignition, and the secondary input is powered from the instrument panel lighting circuit. This second power input was to power the display only, so that you could see the clock, etc. even with the radio switched off.

You've wired the main power input on the new unit to the second power input rather than the main power input.
Old 15-07-12
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Feb 2004                                                
My Saabs: '94 T16 Ruby 3dr, '93 T16 Ruby Vert.

Sounds to me as though someone has wired the radio power source to the dash illumination, possibly ashtray light.

Last edited by peva; 15-07-12 at 06:37 AM.
Old 15-07-12
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Apr 2009                                                
My Saabs: C900 vert white 92, c900 vert 92 yellow

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggsngrits View Post
The Kenwood is an aftermarket unit, yes? (Don't know what they supplied in Europe).

There were TWO power inputs to the Clarion head units that were original equipment: the main power input is switched through the ignition, and the secondary input is powered from the instrument panel lighting circuit. This second power input was to power the display only, so that you could see the clock, etc. even with the radio switched off.

You've wired the main power input on the new unit to the second power input rather than the main power input.

Sounds like nail head hit on!! Change it over before the rheostat in your dash burns out.
Old 15-07-12

Join Date: Jul 2012                                                
My Saabs: 900i 16v

that sounds like it, but i cant track it down. i pull it all out today and switched things around. i could hear it click on but then not power on one configuration. so it seems the battery is connected ok, but not the running power. confusing.

and all the wires coming are coming out of one 'tube' (i traced it back and no wires coming in somewhere else, all from the same source as far back as i can reach.

heres some photos. it must be something about the green and brown/white...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement