Genuine Saab Strut Brace Upgrade - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab NG900, 1994-1998 and OG9-3, 1999-2002 & '03 Convertible (NG=new gen/OG=old gen) > NG900 & OG9-3 Performance, Mods & Tuning

NG900 & OG9-3 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the NG900 (1994 to 1998) & OG9-3 (1999-2002) & '03 Convertible

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 31st May 2012
Saab Crazy

Join Date: May 2010                                                
My Saabs: JZW Stage 1 9-3 2.8v6 Aero
Default Genuine Saab Strut Brace Upgrade

Has anyone done this mod? Is it worth it and have you noticed much of a difference?

From what I've been told it will fit RHD cars as long as I don't fit the viggen/9-5 master cylinder/servo (not sure if that's a worthwhile mod or not?)

So...worth the money or leave it
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 31st May 2012
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Oct 2009                                                
My Saabs: '97 NG900 'vert; '03 OG 9 'vert

If you're talking about the under hood mod, I have my doubts that it's worthwhile until you've done everything else possible. It probably adds some strength, and people who buy it report that they can (subjectively) determine the improvement.

What's really needed is a bar that runs across the front of the strut towers that would complete the "triangle" with the stock bar, but you'd have to make your own. Here's the general idea, but taken to an extreme but someone with lots of aluminum and a jones for welding: http://www.kyankton.net/images/enlar.../lr_ng_099.jpg

OTOH, the bar in the hatch that connects the shock towers is a good idea for any non-'vert. Lots of good reports and sound engineering to support (no pun) the need for it.

What other mods do you have on the car? These are some of the last things to do.
Old 1st June 2012
Saab Crazy

Thanks Bob, that brace in your link looks well beefy

Handling mods so far are:

Steering rack clamp
6 point subframe brace
Abbott spherical bearing kit
Polly TCA inner & outer bushes
Polly Front Rollbar to Wishbone Link Bushes
Polly Rear Axle Mounting Bush
Abbott springs
Bilstein B8
GS 22mm rear arb (to be fitted)

Basically powerflex bushes all round bar the one the Abbott bearing kit replaced (no.3 on the powerflex diagram) and also haven't done the front arb...not sure if that's worth it?

I've been looking at the GS engine & transmission mounts but have read about vibration issues coming into the cabin so might leave them. It's handlings pretty good now tbh but just wanted the front a little tighter.
Old 1st June 2012
Saab on the Brain!

Get that rear bar on there... it's a very quick job and it will make a huge difference. You don't even really have to jack up the car... better if you don't because you want to torque it when it's in the "loaded" position anyway. . Just put a wrench on the sway bar bolts and loosen them. If they don't come easy then tighten them and they will snap if they are original. Pull of the little nut plates that go on top of the bar (they will pull right off once the bolts are out or break). Put the new one in place, put some anti seize on the bolts, tighten it up.

I've done them before but I could do one in 20 minutes. The first time you will get a little confused by those little plates, so add a few minutes for that and unfamiliarity. Total time still under an hour.

I think you are looking pretty good all around ... about the only thing left would be the braces. Try it with the bar. See how it feels after that. If you have a non 'vert, the next step would be the rear brace. Do the uprated front as the last item.

EDIT: I read a lot about mounts too... seems like fairly significant vibration will be the result of the poly upgrade. Of course, if yours are broken, even a factory style repair would help.

Last edited by BobSaabit; 1st June 2012 at 09:21 AM.
Old 1st June 2012
Saab Crazy

Thanks again Bob

I'll do the rear arb Monday, was meant to do it this week but the audio side took up a lot of time.

I'll have a think about the strut brace mate, it's had some good reviews on the GS website so could be a winner...that's it then bar some decent tyres!!
Old 1st June 2012
Saab on the Brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by griffin dai View Post
it's had some good reviews on the GS website so could be a winner...
Just a note: While I think the brace is probably good, word on the street is that GS deletes any non-favorable reviews on their products... and the word comes to us from some of the posters here :-) .
Old 1st June 2012
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Dec 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-5 Aero Wagon 5-sp manual

Agreed with the bigger rear sway bar. I think this car should have come from the factory with a bigger rear sway bar, and that'd be the first mod I'd recommend to anyone. The rear end of my 02 9-3 SE went from feeling like I was towing a wandering trailer to having a rear end that felt like it was more solidly connect to my front end.

I have the removeable version of the GS hatch brace installed and it quieted the squeaks and creaks and stiffened up the chassis overall back there. It was a real pain to install and I've written up my own installation instructions as I had a lot of problems following GS's. Feel free to contact me for a copy if you plan to install one.

I replaced my manual transmission mount with the GS poly mount when mine tore. The other mounts are OE. Compared to driving around with the torn mount, installing this one poly mount made the engine feel like it was solidly attached the the chassis, the shifting feel more precise, and the acceleration more immediate. There is slightly more vibration around idle which goes away at higher rpms, nothing that really bothers me. But I'd probably think hard about adding a 2nd poly mount.
Old 1st June 2012
Saab Crazy

Thanks. I'll have a think about these mounts then. The strut brace is looking like a go-er though! I'll stick a few bits up for sale this month then more than likely go for it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement