2.8T coolant leak, not the tank (for once) - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Cabrio ('04+), Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > 9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop

9-3 Sedan, Cabrio ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 11th April 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Dec 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2000 9-5 Aero
Default 2.8T coolant leak, not the tank (for once)

I've had a 2007 9-3 Aero that just a couple days ago began to suffer from a pretty severe coolant leak, something totally out of the blue. The only thing that possibly precipitated it was that I drove about 100 miles the first time I got the "fill coolant" warning. I know the car has had the coolant tank/software upgrade, but I am curious about what else this could be.

Reading around I've seen people relate this issue to water pump seal failures, but the area around the water pump (between the cylinder banks, on top of the engine, no?) seems clean, and the leak looks to be further forward, near the radiator. Looking under the car when it's running, the coolant leak is a very steady drip that seems to be coming from above the front end of the passenger-side frame rail, well forward of the engine itself. Thanks to all the plastic underbody panels, I can't see exactly where this leak is coming from.

What I was wondering is if anyone else has seen something like this happen with the v6, and if it's likely something as simple as a worn-out hose or something more expensive like a busted radiator or a dead water pump.

Thanks in advance for any info you have!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11th April 2012

Join Date: Oct 2009                                                
My Saabs: 06 9-3 aero v6 6speed
Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACBarnett View Post
I've had a 2007 9-3 Aero that just a couple days ago began to suffer from a pretty severe coolant leak, something totally out of the blue. The only thing that possibly precipitated it was that I drove about 100 miles the first time I got the "fill coolant" warning. I know the car has had the coolant tank/software upgrade, but I am curious about what else this could be.

Reading around I've seen people relate this issue to water pump seal failures, but the area around the water pump (between the cylinder banks, on top of the engine, no?) seems clean, and the leak looks to be further forward, near the radiator. Looking under the car when it's running, the coolant leak is a very steady drip that seems to be coming from above the front end of the passenger-side frame rail, well forward of the engine itself. Thanks to all the plastic underbody panels, I can't see exactly where this leak is coming from.

What I was wondering is if anyone else has seen something like this happen with the v6, and if it's likely something as simple as a worn-out hose or something more expensive like a busted radiator or a dead water pump.

Thanks in advance for any info you have!

ive had the same problem, its a brass 90 degrees elbow. i had the dealer replace it when it was under warranty but after they replaced it, it still leaked and my tank went low. dealers suck but im sure thats your problem. if you remove the air box youll see it. its shinny and hard to miss.
Old 12th April 2012
Saab Lunatic

My Saabs: na

Recently had a similar problem, it was the overflow bottle cap. The valve inside of it would not hold pressure allowing the fluid to drain down the drain hose to the underside and it drained out the mostly on the passenger side. Also found that the cap used on the Cadillac Srx using the 2.8 Turbo is a perfect fit for half the cost of the SAAB OEM one.
Old 12th April 2012
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilp View Post
ive had the same problem, its a brass 90 degrees elbow. i had the dealer replace it when it was under warranty but after they replaced it, it still leaked and my tank went low. dealers suck but im sure thats your problem. if you remove the air box youll see it. its shinny and hard to miss.
Does the part simply fail or is it just like a slipped hose or something? I refilled the coolant tank yesterday and even with the engine off there was a pretty steady drip of cooland from that same right front corner area. As for the coolant tank/pressure cap, I've chedked that area pretty thoroughly and I've found no signs of a leak so far.
Old 12th April 2012

Join Date: Apr 2011                                                
My Saabs: Saab 93

Theres 2 silver pipes going into your turbo. Its more than likely the seal on the lower one. It leaks and runs down the pipe and drips off usually resulting on staining on the bottom of the tranny and front mount area. These are common. Ive also seen the welds on these pipes break which is a pretty large job to replace.

The seal is basically 2 washers connected that fit over each side of the pipe.
Old 12th April 2012
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2007                                                
My Saabs: former SAAB owner

I have been losing coolant for months. The turbo seals were replaced, then the pipe was replaced, still losing coolant. No drips and no visible signs of loss even with a dye and blacklight.
Don't know where it is going. I am thinking maybe a need a new expansion tank cap.
Old 12th April 2012

Join Date: Oct 2009                                                
My Saabs: 06 9-3 aero v6 6speed
Garage

Quote:
Does the part simply fail or is it just like a slipped hose or something? I refilled the coolant tank yesterday and even with the engine off there was a pretty steady drip of cooland from that same right front corner area. As for the coolant tank/pressure cap, I've chedked that area pretty thoroughly and I've found no signs of a leak so far.
If you take off the air box and just run the car without the filter box maybe you will see where it's leaking from. Because I've never had it leak while sitting still, it was only while the car was running and being driven
Old 13th April 2012
Saab Lunatic

I ended up pulling the airbox today and I found nothing obvious, so I just decided to have it sent to the mechanic for a better, more thorough look.
Old 8th May 2012

Join Date: Jun 2011                                                
My Saabs: 07 93 Aero SC

Quote:
I ended up pulling the airbox today and I found nothing obvious, so I just decided to have it sent to the mechanic for a better, more thorough look.
Any update on your findings? I have a similar issue. I can smell the coolant from the airbox area but see nothing obvious. Expansion tank area seems ok.
Old 18th May 2012

Join Date: Jun 2011                                                
My Saabs: 07 93 Aero SC

What was the parts and labor breakdown on that $1000? I see water pumps on rock auto are <$100. My problem may be the same thing, getting it looked at tomorrow.
Old 18th May 2012
Saab Lunatic

The pump is OEM SAAB not a Chinese knockoff and was $287 the collant was $$ as is the labor. I also found a motor mount that is being replaced at $215.
Old 18th May 2012
Saab Lunatic

And the thermostat is $273, it comes in it's own housing.
Old 19th May 2012

Join Date: Jun 2010                                                
My Saabs: 2007 9-3 Aero VTuner Stage 0

So how many hours labor just for the waterpump replacement. Sounds like the 1000 is mostly parts....
Old 19th May 2012

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 Aero, Steel Gray Metallic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalHarley View Post
So how many hours labor just for the waterpump replacement. Sounds like the 1000 is mostly parts....
I don't know the hours, but mine cost me just under $1,100.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement