fpr[3.3] - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab C900, 1979-1993 & '94 Convertible (C=classic) > C900 Performance, Mods & Tuning

C900 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the Classic 900 (C900)

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 20th May 2002

Join Date: Sep 2001                                                

Am i right in assuming that if the fpr is faulty then not enough fuel is being delivered and then your car would not boost properly?seems logical but not sure thanks.[learner]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 20th May 2002
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2002                                                

It's one explanation at least - 'faulty' boost has many causes though - any other symptoms?
Old 20th May 2002

THANKS JOHANN,WELL A COUPLE MTHS AGO I WAS SMELLING FUEL IN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT WHICH I COULD ALSO SMELL IN THE CABIN.WHAT I DISCOVERED LATE LAST NIGHT IS THAT MY FPR IS LEAKING FUEL ALS WHEN I DRIVE THE CAR HARD[CARLSSON 900]AND THEN EASE OFF THE PEDAL THE REVS DO A DRAMATIC DROP,NEARLY SHUTTING OFF AND THEN PICKING BACK UP AGAIN.i was achieving at least a qtr/half in the red on apc .can barely touch it now

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: finga on May 20, 2002 12:46pm ]</font>
Old 20th May 2002
Saab Lunatic

Yep - sound like you have identified the fault correctly. The diagphram has probably ruptured. It's an easy job to replace - you might want to instal a rising rate unit in place of the standard fixed unit - I can't garantee an increase in outright power but in my experience it will certainly give you smoother power delivery and a quicker throttle response if it's set up right.
Err - and don't delay as you don't really want fuel squirting about in the engine compartment and a very lean running engine will destroy valves.
Old 20th May 2002

sorry johann i forget to tell you my fpr is 3.3 which i got from trent saab.i can,t remember if its rr or not.can it/should it be repaired and set up again?
Old 20th May 2002
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2001                                                
My Saabs: 3dr c900 T16RA, 9-5 Aero Estate

I thought Trent sold RRFPRs and 3.3 bar ones came from Abbott.

Failure of the diaphragms isn't that unusual.
Old 20th May 2002

thanks alex,i checked and yes my one is the r/r fpr.What are the arguments for fixed fpr's or r/rate fpr?I'm gonna change mine now but which road to go down?
Old 20th May 2002
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2001                                                
My Saabs: 3dr c900 T16RA, 9-5 Aero Estate

Theres a previous post somewhere on this subject. The 3.3bar reg from Abbott is extremely expensive (160+vat) and of limited benefit, the extra fuel from the higher pressure is only delivered at WOT once the ECU moves off its AMM controlled delivery.

The RRFPR is cheaper, and also allows the extra fuel to be delivered during snap throttle openings and highish boost conditions under part throttle.

Both are cheapish fixes if the performance envelope isn't being stretched too far.
Old 21st May 2002
Saab Lunatic

Finga,
You may be able to get a replacement diaphragm as the unit is dismantleable/repairable - check with Trent.
I would always go with the RRFPR as it's adjustable - and every Saab is slightly different when it comes to which base setting it's happiest with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement