Which Aero to get? Please Help. - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-3 SportSedan/Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X, 2003-2012 > Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop
Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X Workshop Saab 9-3 SportSedan, Convertible ('04+)/Combi & 9-3X , 2003 - 2012 Technical Forum

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 16-07-08

Join Date: Jul 2008                                                
Default Which Aero to get? Please Help.

Hey I'm new to the forums, mainly because I'm in the market for a new car and this long drawn out process has left me to one, 9-3 Aero. I love everything about them. but my question is, which year? I'm currently looking at an 05 and an 07. It would help me greatly if you could let me know the pro's and con's of each year, and how the engines compare. this may be stupid to ask but i have heard one is better than the other going both ways.

Thanks greatly
Evan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 16-07-08
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2005 9-3SS Linear

well the 05 gets better gas milage since its a 2.0 liter turbo inline 4 that makes 210 ponies... the 07 has a 2.8 liter turbo v6 that puts out 250 ponies but has crappier gas milage. the difference is about 8 MPG in both city and highway with the 05 being able to go 22/32 city/highway vs 14/24 for the 07. Both engines are pretty good so it really boils down to how much are you willing to pay at the pump on a regular basis to get those extra 40hp. There is a tuning company that a lot of people on this forum have used called BSR that tunes the 05 (commonly refered to as the 2.0T not to be confused with the 2.0t) to about 247 horsepower for about $850 from geniunesaab.com, the US distributor for them here. They also have a tune for the 07 aero (commonly reffered to as the 2.8) that pushes the ponies up to 285. Both of these tunes are reversible via a PPC (Portable Program Carrier) so you can go back to stock any time you want. Other than that the gearboxes are the same 6 speeds and pretty much so is the rest of the car with the exception of the radio and SID. The 07 comes with the GM black tie stereo which is a bit better than the older model... but, and this is why I refuse to trade up, it shows up in even budget econoboxes like the saturns, but if that does not bother you than you should be fine. The 05 on the other hand has a Saab proprietary radio that is a little worse than the black tie in terms of sound, but both are pretty bad to begin with, however it is unique to the saab and the 05's still have the SID display on top of the dash, which some members here absolutely love, I know I do. It basically is a second display that displays the time, what track is playing, radio station, and any alert messages such as headlamps burning out on the little screen that is a lot closer to your field of vision since it is on top of the dash than the "upgraded" (read cost cutting) SID that is intergrated into the odometer in the 07 models. apart from that everything else is pretty much the same for both years and on till present day models.

Hope that helps and if i missed anything Im pretty sure some other members will chime in.
Old 16-07-08
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Aug 2007                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3 Vector 2.0T

Good post... just one minor error that I noticed, the US spec '05 Aero has a 5 speed, not a 6 speed like every other model year.

Personally, I'd go with the '05. Not only is it cheaper in the first place, it will be better on gas. The 2.0T has been called a more exciting engine by many people on this board and around, and it weighs less, which makes the car have a more even weight distribution and handle better. I also prefer the button dash on the '05 compared to the boring GM unit in the '07.

I'm sure you'll love either of the cars immensley. Enjoy!

-Rogan
Old 16-07-08
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2005 9-3SS Linear

I test drove an 05 aero before buying my little t and i was a 6 speed... wierd huh...
Old 16-07-08
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3SS 2.0t Vector, Steel Grey (OOW)

As is often the case, unfortunately you've both just assumed that the OP is in the US...

If we are talking Warwick in the UK then things are a little different. We still get the 2.0T Aero here (as well as the 2.8 V6 Aero, but that is a rare beast), so the differences are less between a 2005 and 2007 if we are talking the 2.0T.

The 2007 has the newer dash, as the others said with the GM stereo and the SID (information display) relocated to the speedo rather than in a pod under the windscreen. The earlier cars (pre-2006) had a more complex fibre optic stereo system which is more difficult to modify (basically unless you are very adventurous replacing the speakers is probably the only option). So, if buying the 2005 make sure you can live with the sound quality.

Sound deadening is also allegedly improved on the 2007 models, a bugbear on the older models as tyre noise (epsecially was they wear) is an issue for some.

As for the gearbox, I know the diesels got the 6-speed, but I'm not sure about the Aeros for 2005. It may have been optional. The 2007 came with the 6-speed as standard, but to be honest it's not much of a benefit, as there are numerous complaints of graunching between 1st and 2nd when cold on the 6-speed. These cars tend to have pretty high gearing even with the 5-speed, so economy on the motorway is pretty good for a car of it's size and performance.

Other than that, changes were pretty much cosmetic. I'd go with whichever you prefer to be honest, the differences are pretty minor.
Old 16-07-08
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 Aero

The 05 is lighter and a bit more nimble - you will also notice a rougher ride as the tires in 05 were lower profile and the P zero's not the higher profile conti's. If your roads are smooth it won't matter.

The 05 has the distinctive turbo whine on spool up - you won't hear it in the 2.8T version but the exhaust is better sounding with the 2.8T.

Why not consider an 06 Aero - you get the button dash - the SID and the V6 for somewhere in the middle of an 05 or 07.

I have owned an 05 aero for 12 months and now a 06 aero for 24 months. I like both cars very much - after driving the 2.8T I would say I prefer it to the 2.0T - it has more grunt - you really don't have to worry about rpm's and gears as much as the 2.0T and dealing with spool up times. 6th, 5th 4th or 3rd all are great and with just a flick of the accelerator you are off. I don't know if you have the opportunity to drive both before purchase but you should if you can - either way you can't go wrong and you should seriously weigh the warranty as a priority in making your decision.

I do not know the nuances of Euro compared to Usa versions and apologize for any discrepencies.
Old 16-07-08
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: None. ex-owner of an '06 9-3 Aero

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANTMAR
Why not consider an 06 Aero - you get the button dash - the SID and the V6 for somewhere in the middle of an 05 or 07.
There's your best advice. All of the cool people know that '06 Aero's are the best.
Old 16-07-08
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jan 2006                                                
My Saabs: '03 9-3SS Vector

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBob
As is often the case, unfortunately you've both just assumed that the OP is in the US...
Warwick, Rhode Island - now the OP could have changed that after your post but at least now we know which side of the pond he or she is on.
Old 17-07-08
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Feb 2006                                                
My Saabs: 2003 9-3SS 2.0t Vector, Steel Grey (OOW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMHarman
Warwick, Rhode Island - now the OP could have changed that after your post but at least now we know which side of the pond he or she is on.
He did change it after my post... We have a Warwick over here too
Old 16-07-08
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: None. ex-owner of an '06 9-3 Aero

Excellent posts already, nothing more to add to them.

Except...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavedudejeff
..with the 05 being able to go 22/32 city/highway vs 14/24 for the 07.
I fully understand that these are the EPA ratings, but I've never seen real-world mileage that bad in my '06 Aero (automatic). In 100% around-town, 30mph, normal acceleration, stop-and-go traffic I get about 18-19 mpg. In 100%, 70mph flat interstate cruising, I get about 29mpg. The lowest (average)I've ever seen was 16.1mpg in town, during a bitterly cold (2-10 F) week. The best (average) I've ever seen was 30.8 mpg on a long highway trip from a combination of non-ethanol gas and my wife's slightly slower average speed due to heavy traffic. I do a mix of about 75% city, 25% highway driving on most tanks, and my MPG average is usually about 23-24mpg. Edit: These are American MPG ratings, not UK. YMMV.

I'm biased because I own an '06, but given the two choices I'd personally go for the '07. If you can afford it, newer is better simply because it may still have warranty coverage, it's two years younger, and it will have better resale value (ha!) down the road. The 2.8 V6 is a great engine. Though not to knock the 2.0T, because it's good too!

If fuel economy is important, then I'd suggest finding an '07 2.0T instead. If you're thinking of an '07 Aero, then you certainly ought to be able to find an '07 2.0T that will fit your budget. It will have almost as much power as the '05 Aero, but even better MPG ratings.

Last edited by LaserRed9-3Aero; 16-07-08 at 08:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement