best watch ever - $300k and can't tell time - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Cafe > The Lounge

The Lounge For general discussions

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 26th April 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Apr 2006                                                
My Saabs: '09 WRX
Default best watch ever - $300k and can't tell time

i know a lot of you like watches so you may also find this to be quite HI-larious!

http://blogs.wsj.com/wealth/2008/04/...hewealthreport

The $300,000 Watch That Doesn’t Tell Time

A $300,000 watch? Luxury. A $300,000 watch that doesn’t tell time — and that sells out? Pure genius.

According to several news reports flagged by my friends at Luxist, Swiss watchmaker Romain Jerome just launched the “Day&Night” watch. The watch won’t tell you what time it is. That’s so yesterday. But it does tell you whether it’s day or night — helpful, I guess, for billionaire types who can’t afford windows.

As the company’s Web site boasts: “With no display for the hours, minutes or seconds, the Day&Night offers a new way of measuring time, splitting the universe of time into two fundamentally opposing sections: day versus night."

What’s most impressive about the Day&Night is its complexity, given its absolute uselessness. The watch features two tourbillons — devices that overcome the ill effects of earth’s gravity on a watch’s accuracy — connected by a differential mechanism. Instead of hands, the watch has a “contemplative tourbillon operation whereby the ‘Day’ tourbillon operates for 12 hours to symbolize working life, while the ‘Night’ tourbillon takes over afterward to represent an individual’s private time.”

Like other Romain Jerome watches, the watch is made in part with steel salvaged from the sunken Titanic, along with material from the shipyard where it was built. That sounds creepy to me, but maybe today’s buyers prefer morbid metals.

The company’s chief executive, Yvan Arpa, cited statistical studies to explain how the watch better reflects the time-philosophy of today’s wealthy.

“When you ask people what is the ultimate luxury, 80 percent answer ‘time’. Then when you look at other studies, 67 percent don’t look at their watch to tell what time it is,” he told Reuters.

He added that anyone can buy a watch that tells time — only a truly discerning customer can buy one that doesn’t.

And here’s the best part: The watch sold out within 48 hours of its launch.

Last edited by TurboBlix; 26th April 2008 at 03:49 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 26th April 2008
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Feb 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2009 Volvo S80 T6 AWD

It just confirms what I have been saying all along.

Fancy watches are nothing but silly girly jewelry for men

I miss all my Saabs
Old 26th April 2008
Saab Lunatic

if you look closely, the bezel is made of rusted iron.

this is purely a watch for rich idiots.
Old 26th April 2008
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Dec 2002                                                
My Saabs: 07 9-5 Combi, 99 9-3 Viggen, 85 900 SPG

Makes sense, I sleep when I'm tired and I eat when I'm hungry. Why do I need to know "what time" I do that at.
Old 26th April 2008
Saab Sage!

Join Date: Jun 2003                                                
My Saabs: .

I have a couple of watches that no longer tell the time...........

eBay here I come
I decline to grant to SAABCENTRAL.COM a non exclusive, royalty free, worldwide, perpetual license to reproduce, distribute, transmit, sublicense, create derivative works of, publicly display, publish and perform any materials and other information I submit to any public areas....
Old 26th April 2008
Saabista

Join Date: Mar 2004                                                
My Saabs: 03 SE 5 Spd

Yeah, I've a Tag or two that have "Timed Out"
Old 26th April 2008
Saab Mad

Join Date: Jan 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2 9ks,white '87T &'96 Silver Aero 2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattlach

I agree, that's true. And has been since the invention of the quartz whatches.

...but I can't see anything wrong with that. If women can, why shouldn't men?
Old 26th April 2008
Saab on the Brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefano
I agree, that's true. And has been since the invention of the quartz whatches.

...but I can't see anything wrong with that. If women can, why shouldn't men?
Just seems like a waste of money to me.

I usually don't wear a watch, (I usually use my cellphone or laptop to tell time) but if I for some reason feel like wearing one, I'll pick one up for $8 at Walmart or Target (thank you China) and wear it until it dies

I don't have enough time to care about such silly things as jewelry or designer clothing

I miss all my Saabs

Last edited by Mattlach; 26th April 2008 at 04:49 PM. Reason: typos
Old 26th April 2008
Saab Mad

Join Date: Jan 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2 9ks,white '87T &'96 Silver Aero 2.0

Quote:
Just seems like a waste of money to me.
It's hundreds of precisely machined parts perfectly working toghether to make one of the most complicated yet compact mechanical machines man ever built (a watch has much many more moving parts than an engine, for example). So, it's a nice piece of engineering. Just like a Saab. Yes, there are on the market many other cars that do the same A to B job for cheaper, just like there are plenty of quartz watches which tell you the time just fine, but... are you sure you don't want a nice piece of engineering over a soulless chunk of plastic?

That's what luxury is all about. Think about leather seats vs velour seats. Leather seats are hotter in the summer, colder in the winter, more slippery, more expensive, less environmentally friendly, they make you sweat more because air can't pass between skin and seat but... they are more sought after and appreciated. Mechanical watches are the same.
Old 26th April 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2007                                                
My Saabs: '02 9-5 Aero Wagon BCB St. 1

Quote:
It's hundreds of precisely machined parts perfectly working toghether to make one of the most complicated yet compact mechanical machines man ever built (a watch has much many more moving parts than an engine, for example). So, it's a nice piece of engineering. Just like a Saab. Yes, there are on the market many other cars that do the same A to B job for cheaper, just like there are plenty of quartz watches which tell you the time just fine, but... are you sure you don't want a nice piece of engineering over a soulless chunk of plastic?

That's what luxury is all about. Think about leather seats vs velour seats. Leather seats are hotter in the summer, colder in the winter, more slippery, more expensive, less environmentally friendly, they make you sweat more because air can't pass between skin and seat but... they are more sought after and appreciated. Mechanical watches are the same.
Of course you would say that. You're from the land of overpriced motorcycles. I just could not imagine someone actually wearing this watch. It's kinda like those expensive diamond watches that you can't even read the time on because they are too shiny.
Old 2nd May 2008

Join Date: Dec 2003                                                
My Saabs: '92 900LPT, '90 900i vert

Quote:
That's what luxury is all about. Think about leather seats vs velour seats. Leather seats are hotter in the summer, colder in the winter, more slippery, more expensive, less environmentally friendly, they make you sweat more because air can't pass between skin and seat but... they are more sought after and appreciated.
I have to say, I think leather seats have evolved to be the luxury item. Used to be they were the standard seat cover. Then velour and other cloths became available, were cheaper to use and more comfortable. Leather upholstery became rarer and more expensive and thus acquired 'luxury' status...
Old 30th April 2008
SaabNut!

Join Date: Mar 2007                                                
My Saabs: 89 900 Turbo 16V Convertible
Thumbs up

Quote:

Youre right. But I see it in a positive way though, a watch is one of the few pieces of jewlery a man can buy and not be a fruit. I personaly love expensive watches. I would love a rolex one day, for now my $300 dollar citizen is the most expensive one I have.
Old 30th April 2008
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Mar 2006                                                
My Saabs: '09 Forester XT

so how many watches did they sell?

What time is it?

-Oh im not sure but my watch says its definitely night time
Old 30th April 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2003                                                
My Saabs: none

I am a watch person at heart. I have three pairs of watches. One is an older Swiss Miltary watch and a newer daily watch and then another one I wear to special occasions....yep....it is an accessory for me....just like my Saab.

Paul

Past Cars:
2007 Saab 9-3ss AERO
2004 Saab 9-3ss Linear
2003 PT Cruiser
2001 Volvo S40
1990 Honda Accord EX-R
Old 26th April 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2001                                                
My Saabs: 1999 9-5, 1997 900

Does anyone here collect watches? I actually have a KGB officers watch that I never wear. I wonder if I should sell it? Would anyone have a clue on what it might be worth?
Old 26th April 2008
Saab Lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmtinker
Does anyone here collect watches? I actually have a KGB officers watch that I never wear. I wonder if I should sell it? Would anyone have a clue on what it might be worth?
no clue, but there are watch forums out there where people are actually more rabid about watches than we are about saabs. you could probably get the best answer on one of those.

i love watches. i don't really care for jewelry, but watches i notice. but this watch, by the same company who does the day& night watch, exceeds anyone - even a watch fanatic's - notion of ridiculousness:

http://www.romainjerome.ch/en/les-inatendus/t-oxy-concept-en.aspx

T-oxy Concept

Between the forbidden and the ephemeral

The T-oxy Concept represents both the culmination of a preposterous idea and the most extreme form of a particularly sophisticated concept. This exceptional timepiece is a completely rusted high-watchmaking timepiece designed using non-stabilised rusted steel from the Titanic.

Don’t wear it! The T-oxy Concept can only be admired under its glass dome filled with argon. Release it and oxygen will carry on its destructive work where it left off.

Warning: extremely corrosive model, non-guaranteed

Old 26th April 2008
Saab on the Brain!

Sounds like they bought/salvaged some steel from the Titanic and are doing anything and everything possible to profit from it at the expense of hapless idiots with lots of money

A fool and his money are soon parted...

I miss all my Saabs
Old 26th April 2008
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Oct 2005                                                
My Saabs: 1986 Saab 900

Sounds more like art than a useful timepiece...form over function etc...and with that kind of price tag he's having a good laugh at anyone who would contemplate buying one.

And they've sold out, Jesus! Of course they have.

I say put it up where the sun don't shine and then see if you can tell if it's night or day .
Old 26th April 2008

Join Date: May 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2008 9-3 SS 2.0 6Spd JZW Stage 1

I just made a 3 minute egg timer from recycled Flintstones jelly jars. It is 4 feet tall and filled with steel ball bearings and weighs 350 pounds. If you can manage to turn it over, the ball bearings smash the glass and run all over the place. Anybody can make an egg timer that times eggs, but it takes real skill to make one that can turn your kitchen into a pinball machine and a home health hazard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement