I got offered a job today. - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab Cafe > The Lounge

The Lounge For general discussions

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 5th June 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2003                                                
My Saabs: No current saabs :(
Default I got offered a job today.

Ive been delivering Pizzas for Domino's.Getting paid 5.15 per hour for about 20 hours a week.I get .70 for drives in lewiston,.80 for drives in clarkston,and .90 for drives in asotin..They new job would start out at 9 per hour for 40 hours a week.That would be washing dishes at a retirement village...hmmm 1000 a month no tips VS 800 a month with tips...Is there even a contest here?plus i dont destroy my car for peanuts.Now I just have to get a haircut at like 8 in the morning and go to an interview...yaaa I might actually have monies now.
Old 5th June 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2003                                                
My Saabs: 5 Red C900T16 Verts

Don't burn any bridges. Congrats.

edit: Seth has a valid point. At 16, I washed pots at an all girl summer camp.
If it wasn't for the.... Food for thought. Use your wisdom.

Last edited by Willy Wonka; 5th June 2007 at 04:46 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 5th June 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Apr 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2001 9-5 Aero 5-spd!

Gearhead, not to be a bust but you're going to get real burned out washing dishes 40 hours a week. I don't think any amount of money (to me at least) could justify that. I'd be through in a week...theres no variety or change of pace. I'd keep your delivery job which sounds a lot more interesting...your call though. Why don't you try looking for a serving job? Some have excellent pay and great benefits.
Old 5th June 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2003                                                
My Saabs: No current saabs :(

I forgot to mention that with the delivery job after after gas I only make like 5-600 a month...
Old 5th June 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Apr 2003                                                
My Saabs: 2001 9-5 Aero 5-spd!

It's not all about the money though. I don't you personally or particularly where you are in life, but money aside, jobs are opportunities to set yourself up for bigger and better things. I don't think theres much experience or skills that you can garner from dishwashing to pass along. At least with delivery you have scheduling, responsibility, and customer service -- all strengths that you can build upon. Just my two cents .
Old 5th June 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2003                                                
My Saabs: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHead
I forgot to mention that with the delivery job after after gas I only make like 5-600 a month...
They didn't pay for your gas on the delivery job. That is ludicrous....I get paid mileage if I use my personal car for any business reasons....

Paul

Past Cars:
2007 Saab 9-3ss AERO
2004 Saab 9-3ss Linear
2003 PT Cruiser
2001 Volvo S40
1990 Honda Accord EX-R
Old 5th June 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jun 2006                                                
My Saabs: '03 9³ 2.0t, BSR Stg 1, Optiflow

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunp
They didn't pay for your gas on the delivery job. That is ludicrous....I get paid mileage if I use my personal car for any business reasons....

Paul
Shouldn't the mileage and fuel costs be tax deductable on an itemized statement?

Please grant me the ability to punch people in the face over standard TCP/IP.
Amen.

~mfong
Old 5th June 2007

Join Date: Aug 2004                                                
My Saabs: '06 9³ 2.0T SportCombi, BCB Stg 2
Garage

I get Cdn$0.50 per km. I always fill up on 91 octane on those trips

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunp

Paul

SAAB CLUB of WESTERN CANADA on FACEBOOK
Old 5th June 2007

Join Date: Jun 2007                                                
My Saabs: 9000 2.3 SE Turbo 1990

CAn someone help please? How do I post a new thread? I've just joined and can't find this option anywhere! Thanks! (Sorry to butt in on your thread)
Old 5th June 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Dec 2004                                                
My Saabs: 9-5 Diesel

'New Thread' button if you go up a level. It's near the top of the page.

We also provide 'call evil moderator' 'toilet break' 'hide from moderator' and 'sarcasm check' buttons I believe

Old 5th June 2007

Join Date: Dec 2003                                                
My Saabs: '92 900LPT, '90 900i vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt.dogshome
'hide from moderator' button
Yep. I got both pager alerts when you pressed yours at 17:23 and 23:44 UTC yesterday. Just messing around were you?...

SeanO: The New Thread button should be just under the 'UserCP' link...
Old 5th June 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Dec 2004                                                
My Saabs: 9-5 Diesel

If the 'cheek-O-meter' hits the stop, I'll never realise. You know that don't you?

Old 5th June 2007
Saab on the Brain!

Join Date: Sep 2002                                                
My Saabs: 1984 T8

In general, always follow the money.
Old 5th June 2007

Thanks but I just can't find the 'new thread button'!! I've got the following:

User CP FAQ Members List Calendar New Posts Search Quick Links Chat Log Out

but no new thread option..............any ideas?

Thanks
Old 5th June 2007

I've just found it - thanks again!
Old 5th June 2007
Saab Crazy

Join Date: Sep 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1991 9000 Turbo 5DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHead
Ive been delivering Pizzas for Domino's.Getting paid 5.15 per hour for about 20 hours a week.I get .70 for drives in lewiston,.80 for drives in clarkston,and .90 for drives in asotin..They new job would start out at 9 per hour for 40 hours a week.That would be washing dishes at a retirement village...hmmm 1000 a month no tips VS 800 a month with tips...Is there even a contest here?plus i dont destroy my car for peanuts.Now I just have to get a haircut at like 8 in the morning and go to an interview...yaaa I might actually have monies now.
There are a lot of things to consider here. Sad that Domino's doesn't pay any more for gas these days. I delivered for them south of Seattle from roughly 1994-1997. They paid us $0.75 per delivery. Average for an entire night was maybe three miles round trip. BUT, gas at that time was in the $1.20-$1.40 range per gallon, I believe. So the $0.75 would usually more than pay for the gas and additional wear on the vehicle (if you saved it!), regardless of what you drove. I used my old 9000 for a short time and it averaged about 17-19 MPG. It's important to have money left over though, because pizza delivery can age your car quickly. Everything wears out faster - though 20 hours per week is certainly better than 40 in that respect. Brakes in particular wear out quickly, as do tires, batteries, and starters. Even things you don't think of like door handles, emergency brake levers, etc. Using current gas prices, 18 MPG, and a three mile round trip, that's about $0.55 cents per trip, leaving you barely anything after gas. I'd say a much more fuel efficient or less expensive to maintain vehicle is almost a requirement if you want to do delivery full time. Also it doesn't hurt to have more than one vehicle.

Another huge drawback is insurance. Domino's doesn't provide it (or didn't when I was there, anyhow). Techincally, if you are using your personal vehicle for delivery at work, you have to tell your insurance company. Ever gotten a rate quote for commercial use? It's astronomical, and you can say goodbye to your tips. If you don't tell the insurance company, and you get in an accident (regardless of fault), they can deny coverage, and they can even cancel your policy completely. If they're nice, they may just offer to let you continue as long as you stop delivering pizza. In my personal opinion, the restaurants should always pay for insurance on their drivers - ideally with their own delivery vehicles. But we all know they are far too cheap to do that.

All that said, I will tell you this. Of all the menial/no experience necessary jobs that I've held in the past 18 years, pizza delivery was by far the most enjoyable. If you like to drive and you like to work independently, it's about the perfect job. Sure, it can get stressful at times in the building, but once you hit the road, which is the majority of the time in a busy store, you can put on the tunes, relax, and enjoy the ever changing scenery, on the way to people who are always happy to see you. If you're only working part time, chances are you are mainly there for the dinner rush, and get to miss out on the somewhat less fun tasks like dish washing, mopping, cleaning up the food, etc.

Supposedly the federal minimum wage just went up - I think to at least $7.00. That will be a big help to people in all these jobs (I was making $4.25 at Domino's). I personally won't do it ever again just because it's too hard on a vehicle and there are way too many hidden risks and costs. That, and it's nice to have weekends and evenings off some times. But as for the actual work, no complaints! I have also washed dishes, and it doesn't hold a candle to delivering pizza. It's extremely boring and the scenery is always the same. Depending on the place, if you excel at washing dishes (not hard in my opinion), maybe they will quickly move you to something more challenging?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement