DIY short throw shifter - SaabCentral Forums
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab C900, 1979-1993 & '94 Convertible (C=classic) > C900 Performance, Mods & Tuning

C900 Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the Classic 900 (C900)

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 30th April 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2005                                                
My Saabs: `68 96V4; `69 Sonett V4; 2Xc900 airflow
Default DIY short throw shifter

Hi,

I was planning to do short throw shifter accordin to this
http://web.archive.org/web/200504180..._shift_diy.htm
but got somewhat puzzled on how thick the spacers must be. I see it is suggested to use 0,5" or 0,75" spacers - I believe it`s meant inches.

0,5 inches gives me 12-13mm
0,75 inches is ~18-20 mm

The depth of metal housing where plastic bit sits in is just ~11mm.

That means that if using just 0,5" spacer the plastic bit comes out of the metla housing and sits above it ... that seems to me impossible as it`s necessary to hold it right in place ...

if spacer is 0,75" then plastic bit sits even ~0,5 mm above the metal housing ...

this seems to mee illogical ... I don`t think that the plastic bit and thus the pivot can be supported just on the upper spacer and rely just on 3 bolts ...

Am I missing something or the 0,5" is meant as 0,5mm thus alowing plastic bit to remain in the metal housing but be just raised upwards ...

Can anybody share their experience on doing this mod - IronJoe, you did it, what are the right recipee?

Thank`s in advance!
Old 30th April 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2002                                                
My Saabs: '87 Airflow Convertible, '08 Turbo X SC
Garage

Yeah I did it... dang. It's been a while.

I'll take a pic for you tonight. I really can't remember how I ended up doing this, it was a few years ago. That said, it's held up for a long while with no real problems! It's a fantastic mod.
*1999 Lightning Blue 9 Viggen* - Sold
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 30th April 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: May 2005                                                
My Saabs: `68 96V4; `69 Sonett V4; 2Xc900 airflow

thank`s, will wait for pics ...

was it really so that plastic bit came out and cmpletely above metal housing?
Old 30th April 2007

Join Date: Jan 2007                                                
My Saabs: sonettV4,C900 track car,9-3 Viggen
Default Short shifter

I have a short shift in my track car ,which i made using a piece of alluminium 3" diameter and machined to suit remote housing ,basically the amount you raise the top pivot point is the same amount you have to raise the pivot ball ,so if you put a 20mm spacer in then you have to raise the position of the pivot ball by 20mm also.

Martin

Last edited by nutcase; 1st May 2007 at 03:51 AM.
Old 30th April 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Jul 2006                                                
My Saabs: '85 900 T16 Sedan
Garage

What I did was I simply cut the top off the shifter...mine was quite the exceptional case because I shortened the shifter about 10cm, or about 4"! I didn't really care for the reverse-pin lockout though, because #1) I'd like to consider myself quite the competent driver, and have never hit reverse accidentally (before or after the mod), and #2) somehow the reverse lockout wasn't quite lining up properly, even after some tinkering with the shifter collar, so getting into 5th was always a problem.

Now I have no reverse lockout, but I feel like it's the greatest shifter in the world! It also let me put on regular knobs, which was difficult before when there was a hollow point with a slit on its side to the shifter for the reverse lockout mechanism. It's been a year or more, and I can't think of a better mod for the price!

li Arc
Old 30th April 2007
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Aug 2002                                                
My Saabs: '87 Airflow Convertible, '08 Turbo X SC
Garage

shortening the rod works, but it isn't nearly as effective as moving the pivot point.

I disabled reverse lockout at one point, and installed an aftermarket knob. I hated it, reinstalled the reverse lockout and popped on a genuine saab leather knob. Couldn't be happier now!
*1999 Lightning Blue 9 Viggen* - Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement