Performance chips? - SaabCentral Forums
* site search:  
Home Saab Pictures Saab Classifieds Saab Dealer Listings Saab Forum Saab Forum

Go Back   SaabCentral Forums > Saab 9-2X, 9-4X & 9-7X > Saab 9-2X Performance, Mods & Tuning
Saab 9-2X Performance, Mods & Tuning Covers Tuning & Performance modifications for the Saab 9-2X

SaabCentral.com is the premier Saab Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Old 16-09-05

Join Date: Aug 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2005 9-2X Linear
Default Performance chips?

Has anyone heard of these "performance chips" being sold for around $30-100? Here is one of the advertisements:

The RaceMOD performance module is a great way to add up to 20+ horsepower to your car, truck or suv. The module also provides torque increases up to 12 lb+/ft., as well as improvements in throttle response. Shift speed is also improved on vehicles equipped with automatic transmissions. The Module is installed to your vehicle's sensors and modifies sensor outputs to the vehicle's onboard computer

Any info on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 17-09-05
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Nov 2004                                                
My Saabs: 2001 9-3 SE

forget about that garbage!!!!!1 it works by tircking your ECU by changing the intake temp readings......dont cheap out on ECU realted stuff,

Cobb
ECUTEK

those brands and others like it are the only reputable brands, i assume you have an aero right?

Whether engaging the turbocharger or the afterburner, it is the man, not the machine, in control.

Old 18-09-05

Join Date: Jul 2005                                                

err... according to the poster's profile, it reads 2005 92x Linear.
Old 25-09-05

Join Date: Jun 2005                                                
My Saabs: Soon, a 92X

These trick your car into thinking it needs more fuel than it really does, and makes it run rich. Think of it as going to canada, and reading the kph speed limit signs as mph. This makes it so the car uses all of the air available for combustion. In some cars, this can somewhat increase performance (however, how many guys spending 25 buck on a mod verify with dyno runs?), but will kill gas mileage. Also some have complained of other problems since the somputer doesn't realize what it's doing.

My advice, steer clear. You bought the linear, so performance is not you main goal. Spending the money on driving lessons ($40 at an autocross can teach you alot about a cars limits, and how to play with them) and if you want get some simple mods like intake or exhaust.
Old 15-03-06

Join Date: Apr 2005                                                
Location: Toronto, Canada The Centre of the Universe (yes cenTRE)
My Saabs: 1999 9-3 Convertible
Default Performance chips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai Troll
These trick your car into thinking it needs more fuel than it really does, and makes it run rich. Think of it as going to canada, and reading the kph speed limit signs as mph.
Nice example using Canada. We like our larger km/h readings...

But we are able to go faster on our highways. Moving at 80 mph is nice....
Old 27-03-06
Saab Lunatic

Join Date: Sep 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2006 9-3 Aero

Kaltorak - you mean legally that is - I believe there are a couple of locations in Nevada or Utah where it is "no limit" - or a conditions limit - like weather and type of car - so if it is open roads and you're in a porsche you can open her up - they might have changed it.
Old 27-03-06

Join Date: Jun 2005                                                
My Saabs: Soon, a 92X

Montana had the no numbered limit. That was repealed some time ago though.
Old 14-07-06

Join Date: May 2005                                                
My Saabs: 2005 Arctic Silver 9-2x Aero

Go with the Cobb Accessport.

Here are my dyno numbers...at the time of this dyno the only mods I had were intercooler hoses and the Cobb Accessport running the Stage 1 91 octane map.

http://pic18.picturetrail.com/VOL935.../160900016.jpg

Rudi

STi SS, Kartboy Shift Lever w/bushings, Roof Rails, 04 STi BBS Wheels, Perrin IC Hoses, Perrin RSB w/endlinks, 5000K ProLumen HIDís, Espelir ASDís, Tokico D-specs, PolTec Lateral Links, Rear Strut twr bar, SS Brake Lines, ProDrive Roundtip, Invidia UP and V4 DP, AP stg 2.

Click link for pics:
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/...6778&members=1
Old 04-09-06

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1994 Saab 900s

some of those modules just make it so when your at half throttle it makes it run as if its at 3/4 throttle but there will be no difference at full throttle really all it does is murder your gas mileage
Old 05-09-06

Are you speaking from personal experience or just from what you have heard? I'm not sure which "modules" your referring to but the Accessport doesn't work that way and I actually get better gas mileage with it.

Rudi

STi SS, Kartboy Shift Lever w/bushings, Roof Rails, 04 STi BBS Wheels, Perrin IC Hoses, Perrin RSB w/endlinks, 5000K ProLumen HIDís, Espelir ASDís, Tokico D-specs, PolTec Lateral Links, Rear Strut twr bar, SS Brake Lines, ProDrive Roundtip, Invidia UP and V4 DP, AP stg 2.

Click link for pics:
Old 05-09-06

Join Date: Aug 2006                                                
My Saabs: 1994 Saab 900s

i had had the venom 400 in my maxima which was supposed to give you 15% more hp and it really did nothing except kill my gas mileage it made no difference in my 1/4 mile time or speed and the same with all the ones you find on ebay. my friend has a jetta and he got a chip off ebay with the same result only it made his slower and it made more problems for him.
Old 05-09-06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buyakasha
i had had the venom 400 in my maxima which was supposed to give you 15% more hp and it really did nothing except kill my gas mileage it made no difference in my 1/4 mile time or speed and the same with all the ones you find on ebay. my friend has a jetta and he got a chip off ebay with the same result only it made his slower and it made more problems for him.

I just read up on that "module" and it's not the same as the accessport. There are a lot of chips, programmers, modules, etc. to hook up to your car, the problem is a lot of them are piggyback type chips and others just don't work well. For Subaru's and the Saab 92x's the way to go, in my opinion, is with the Cobb Accessport. It doesn't change the signals going to the computer like the Venom does is changes the computer mapping system all together but still allows you to change back to the stock computer map or program if you need to go into the dealer or go for a smog check. This is also something that you don't need to have in your call all the time, there is no need to flip switches or what have you. You just plug it in to the OBD-II connector and flash your car's computer with the new program. If you visit www.Saab92x.com or www.Nasioc.com you will see dyno proven results. With the Accessport you can even get a custom map made for the aftermarket parts on your car to make everything run even more efficiently. Every programmer is different; you just need to do a little homework to figure out which one is the best for your car.

Rudi

Click link for pics:
Old 14-09-06
SaabNut!

Join Date: Jan 2006                                                
My Saabs: '94 Saab 900S 2.5 V6 81,000Miles (Auto)

Heads up performance chips should not be purchased from E-bay or any other online vendor unless you can specifically verify the performance through references etc. Are there no Saab/ubaru tuner's in your locale?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement