SaabCentral Forums banner

Red Grill, Black Grill?

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  SwedeSpeed95 
#1 ·
I drive a Black 1995 900S, and Im thinking of the chrome piece of my grill, since its starting to peel anyway, a high gloss dark red, with the plastic SAAB in the center black. Or painting the grill black, and the SAAB chrome.

I can't decide whether i want to do either of if i want to leave it be.

What do you guys think about it?

#2 ·
I dont think the red would look good on a black car at all. Personally, I would leave it be unless the peeling is bad, or buy a 9-3 grill and replace it. The chrome grille makes for continuous flowing lines with the headlights and corner lights... But, appearance is subjective so do what makes you happy.

#4 ·
well written redrum... i wouldn't think a red grill on any car would look good... especially a saab... unless the car was red maybe??? but like redrum said... do whatever you feel that you want to do....

you could however source out a 9-3 grille if yours is peeling bad... once you have it... you can go nuts on your old one and try a couple different ways... if you find one you like sell the grille in the classifieds or on ebay...or keep it as a spare

#5 ·
I think i might buy the 9-3 grill and then fiddle with the other one. Thanks for the idea. I have access to a body shop, and i can look up saab colors they make a deep red, a little like the chili red of the new cars and i think it would look good with black, but i cant decide.

But thanks for the input.

#6 ·
Okay, I talked myself out of the red grill. But i think ill do the black, and keep the plastic SAAB in the center silver. If i HATE IT, i can always buy a 9-3 grill, hey the chrome was peeling anyway right? Got nothin' to lose. Ill post pictures if i ever suck it up and do it.

#9 ·
I just went through this debate. Black :) I cleaned, wet sanded and primed the grille. The semi gloss "Import Black" from Dupli-Color matched the black of the wiper arms. Since I'm endeavoring to reduce my LIDAR signature, I coated the grille with VEIL when I did my headlight lenses. To me it just looks stealthy cool. But I'm a geek. ;)

#10 ·
I have access to Accuspray and a PPG color system, so im going to make the body color (170) and blow it onto the grill, ill clear it and give a good deep shine. And the best thing? Its all Free. Im not really into the flat black finishes. Ill post pictures when i get it done one of these weekend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.