SaabCentral Forums banner

black bits in brake fluid reservoir and brake bleed questions

9K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  ebne0018 
#1 ·
I was replacing a stuck rear caliper this weekend when I discovered the brake reservoir had a bunch of black bits floating in it. They are kinda spongy and do not feel like bits of plastic or rubber. Anybody have any idea what these could be?

I tried putting shop rags in the reservoir in the hope that they would cling to the rag, but no luck. I also tried to bleed them through the system, but no luck their either.

Besides pulling off the reservoir, any way to get them out.

Also, I want to bleed the system after I change the caliper, but do I need to do the clutch at the same time?
If so, should I do it first or after the brakes have been done?

#9 ·
What did you end up doing?

I flushed and bleed all the brakes on my '01 lpt 5-speed with 220k on the clock. Saw the floating black bits after I sucked out old fluid and replaced with freash DOT4. Sucked it out with the baster AGAIN then replaced with fresh. :roll:

Did you end up needing new Master cylinder seals or was it just lossed deposits n the rez?:D

#10 ·
I had a really messed up caliper and I think the black bits were the caliper seals. I never replaced the master cylinder and I haven;t had any problems since. I do have some black stuff in the reservoir every now and then that I try to get out. I would check your calipers. the black junk is coming from somewhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.