SaabCentral Forums banner

Crankshaft Pulley Removal

12K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  RickyMac 
#1 ·
I plan on doing my oil pump o-ring and crankshaft seal tomorrow morning on my 2.3T auto '01 Aero .
I've seen post about removing the crankshaft pulley with just an impact wrench. Is this done with the transmission just in park or do I need to wedge the right disc or fill a cylinder with rope?
Will the pulley come off without a puller?
And finally what is the size of that bolt? 1 1/16" is a little big ;-)

Post are all over the place on this one so I'm looking for been-there-done-that posts.

#4 ·
Things that will help you with this:
1) Make sure you have huge circlip or snap ring pliers to get the ring out. I think the stretch has to be at least 2 inches. Here are the ones I bought.

2) The socket you need is 27mm so make sure you have one big enough before starting.

3) It would be easier to use an impact wrench to get the bolt off, but you do need to use a torque wrench to tighten it back at 130 ft lb. You can have somebody help you brace the flywheel or there is a a special lock you can buy that will make it much easier.

4) You shouldn't really need a puller. I borrowed one from autozone before I went to do this and ended up not needing it, but it might be different for some people.

#5 ·
I don't think the impact wrench did anything. I jammed some chisels in the flywheel and used a 20" breaker bar to get the nut loose.

There wasn't a pair of circlip pliers in town big enough for the job so I modified some huge needle nose ($12) and they worked well.

After replacing the o-ring and seal I've found out that my leak is still up at the head. It's probably the timing chain-head connection. I should have used Loctite 518 on the timing chain cover even though the head gasket said not to. How is a gasket supposed to work on 2 different metals under a wide heat range?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.