SaabCentral Forums banner

Hit and Run today....

4K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  SidewaysD 
#1 ·
On the way to the Apple Store today and got Hit by a NYC Taxi while at a light, 45 degree angle into my left rear Quarter and Door. The guy discharges his passengers....I say they can't leave they are witnesses and I get a funny look as they scurry away. The driver will not get out of his car and points like he's going to pull up across the intersection. He backs off my car then shoots around me turns right on to 40th Street and keeps going...I give chase, I pull up next to him at the light at 7th and 40th Street and yell and signal him to pull over. He jumps the light, turns right on 7th and starts to run, I start to pull up next to him on 7th and he actually trys to Ram me...I back off at 38 and 7th. Now remember I'm on the way to the Apple Store to replace a failed Iphone so I can;t even call 911. I find a payphone on that corner and call the cops. I Have the guys Hack number, so I file and accident report, a Vehicular Assault and Hit and Run Complaints.

So how as your day?

#5 ·
bonakdar said

"i feel for you. this is what happens when a boston taxi, self insured by the way, drives like a maniac through a blinking intersection but no ticket was issued since we were both supposed to "proceed with caution" according to the police. Occured this morning."

Yikes, my damage is minor compared to that, I was more traumatized when the guy tried to Ram me, I swerved left and hit the brakes missing a parked Lexus I think by a hair. Hope your OK.

#7 ·
They'll trace the number to the fleet owner, who will probably deny the car was on the road or produce a bogus trip log that shows the car in the bronx..I'm gonna inquire about the Security cameras in the area....but I'm gonna give it a shot.

#9 ·
Cab drivers, from what I have seen, are among the rudest and most incompetent drivers on the road. The Alexandria, VA city cabs also smell like a weedwacker running rich (and burn about as much oil), so I wonder who they're bribing to get their **** to pass emissions. Probably nobody, the cab driver's brother also owns a garage that happens to be an emissions test station.

#10 ·
SAABRoma said:
Oh man. I feel for you. That's why I'm thinking of outfitting my car with machine guns. This way I can pursue with extreme prejudice.

Maybe I could mount the turret from a Hind somewhere on my roof.
Hehehe, I've told my wife hundreds of times that I want a Tank/Striker/Hummer outfitted with 50 cal, etc. Unfortunately, I'd never get anywhere as I'd be too busy blowing up 75% of the people on the road.

#12 ·
Woodsta said:
It is a shame that the people inside the cab did not at least try to give you there phone number to be a wittness ?

Rockets, Oil Slick, Smoke screen, ejecting seat, machine guns, where can we get these installed?
Those passengers were probably International tourists, they were speaking Japanese and leaving quite quickly, probably just didn't want to get involved...if they were New Yorkers they would have stayed and Sued for Whiplash.:eek:

#14 ·
Jon, we feel your pain, brother.

I blame it all on Apple. If you could get what you wanted at your local Best Buy or on Amazon, you would not have been in Manhattan and this never would have happened.

Just say no to Steve Jobs.

This is why I have never owned, do not own, nor ever will own an Apple product!

In all seriousness, I get just about everything I can from Amazon these days. No sales tax and free shipping. They have a warehouse in my town now, and I generally get my stuff a day after I order it!

With gas prices where they are these days...

#16 ·
Krieg said:
I blame it all on Apple. If you could get what you wanted at your local Best Buy or on Amazon, you would not have been in Manhattan and this never would have happened.

Just say no to Steve Jobs.

This is why I have never owned, do not own, nor ever will own an Apple product
i'm a little confused...i'm pretty sure you can buy plenty of apple products at best buy or amazon...

anyway i was in nyc a couple months ago and saw a taxi do a slight hit and run on another car, the damage looked minimal but it will still cost the guy a couple hundred to fix...so just know, your not the only guy who suffers from *******s like this

#19 ·
bonakdar said:
have you ever taken a ride in a cab? they have no respect for their passengers or anyone else on the road, at least in Boston.

Btw, this is what it looks like when someone with the same car parks next to me. guess which one is mine.

The one parked 1/2 a mile from the curb :cheesy:

Can you swap the front bumper while the other guy's not around ;)

#20 · (Edited)
Update: Got off the phone with NYPD, they had an accident report # but the PO didn't file the Hit and run complaint....I guess thats what you get with 29K a year cops.....sheesh, now I am about to drive into downtown Manhattan to file a complaint in 98 degree heat.

Secondly, Insurance adjuster was here, only $1100.00 in Damage.

#22 · (Edited)
Unbelievable but True.....CASE CLOSED. The Hit & Run Complaint which I got a copy of no-more than 10 minutes ago says case closed. Report has the Name and address of the Cab Company, since there was no Injury there is no followup...which basically means the driver gets away with it, NYPD does not go after him. In New Jersey I would lose my license:eek: I spoke to an Inspector (Pct Commander), if there were injury they would persue ...in his words...theres too many, theres no time.....

So my thoughts are, if a Driver comes towards a NY Cop they can shoot at him 55 times...if a driver tries to run into a citizen...Tough ****!

Edit: Just Filed on line complaint with Taxi and Limo Commission

#23 ·
I'm sorry to hear about your recent dealings. We work so hard to pay for these cars, maintain them, keep them looking beautiful only for some worthless **** to carelessly wreck it all. Then the police do nothing for us.

Recently, the neighbor girl upstairs backed into my car. Large indent in the rear driver's side qtr panel from the rear tire carrier of a RAV4. It looks awful. She was parked at an odd angle (I live in a building full of total losers and they can't be bothered to park their $500 cars in a straight fashion) and it's really obvious how she did it. To make matters worse, she disappeared. Supposedly she is in Asia for 2 months.

My landlord was of no help. Typical. He is nothing but hot air and will never be anything more. I had the cops out. They did nothing for me. I finally got this girl's e-mail and she of course denies the whole thing, that it is 100% impossible that she could have hit my car. She lies about the fact that her car was in the parking lot in the first place.

I wish there were a better way. I hate to say this, but try something like that in a state like Texas or Arizona where everyone carries a firearm, and the dealings are much different. It seems to me that they have less of a problem of this sort.

#24 ·
Acidradio said:
.........I wish there were a better way. I hate to say this, but try something like that in a state like Texas or Arizona where everyone carries a firearm, and the dealings are much different. It seems to me that they have less of a problem of this sort.
Not true my friend. We are not all country bumpkins who carry guns around. And guess what we don't all know how to ride horses either. Sorry, I just get defensive when people think that if you live in Texas, all you do is ride horses and carry concealed handguns. Honestly, I have not heard of anyone getting shot from a hit and run. I am sure its happened, but none that I have seen. Actually is has probably happened more in NYC, like the original poster, than here.

#25 ·
Ferms_93_2.8T said:
Not true my friend. We are not all country bumpkins who carry guns around. And guess what we don't all know how to ride horses either. Sorry, I just get defensive when people think that if you live in Texas, all you do is ride horses and carry concealed handguns. Honestly, I have not heard of anyone getting shot from a hit and run. I am sure its happened, but none that I have seen. Actually is has probably happened more in NYC, like the original poster, than here.
The goal of that statement was not to say that all people in Texas carry guns, are country bumpkins and are likely to shoot you. Rather, it has been demonstrated that there is an "economic" effect of crime when comparing locales which have looser handgun restrictions. The belief of the presence of more handguns in a specific locale tends to lower rates of crime, even without the use or display of said firearms!

Professor John Lott (he was with the University of Chicago, I don't know if he is still there) compiled a controversial but factual study that found that when gun ownership increases in one area (call it a county along a state border), the crime, of all kinds, but especially of the violent and substantial kind literally picks up and moves to the adjoining county. The belief is that if you do something dumb, there COULD be consequences.

#26 ·
I now understand what you are trying to say. However, appearently the study is flawed in some manner. Perhaps, that is what makes it a controversial study. If you look at the most "dangerous" sates, Texas and Arizona rank at 12 and 13 respectively. Essentially we would assume that NY would also be at the top of that list due to the ammount of crime, or dangerous crime, that occurs. But, if you look at crime per capita NY suprisingly falls all the way down to 31. So out of the 50 continental United States two of the states which have concealed handgun laws fall within the top 26% of dangerous crimes states. Kind of makes you rethink the whole safer with guns idea. Sorry I am not tyring to argue but I just don't see that correlation between concealed hand guns and lower crime. Also, based on the economic growth Texas has been seeing lately I also don't see residents running for the border either.

Never the less, we are both friendly SAAB owners, so we can agree to disagree. :D:D:D:D:D:D

I also want to apologize for the increasingly "off-topicness" this thread has been headed. Sorry!!!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.