Hi,
Can anyone share the difference between the B235E and the B235L
engines ?

I know the B235E comes with a lpt and the B235R is the Aero with
the TD04 turbo.

BUT what is in the B235L ???

Have read in the forum that all you got to do to transform a 2.3lpt
to Aero specs is 1. Get the TD04, 2. Get the Aero ECU and you've
gat yourself an Aero, minus the cosmectics of cos.

You could do that with both the B235E and B235L ?

Thanks.

#2 ·
From what I know, B235L is physically exactly the same as B235R. The only difference is that it has "de-tuned" ECU to produce 220hp. The only thing it needs to achieve 250hp is a ECU tune. B235E would also need TD04.

1. Get the TD04, 2. Get the Aero ECU and you've
gat yourself an Aero, minus the cosmectics of cos.
Almost. For all intents and purposes you are right. However, it is my understanding that B235R engines also differ slightly from B235E in piston and valve hardening and coating.

From the press release of MY2000
"The power output of the Saab 9-5 Aero's engine is primarily attributable to the large, variable boost pressure turbocharger, which produces a maximum boost pressure of 1.4 bar, or 20 psi. This allows the 9-5 Aero to maintain maximum power and torque through nearly all driving conditions - including altitudes approaching 10,000 feet. Saab engineers have designed the engine to withstand the additional stress and heat generated from such high boost levels. Like all Saab turbochargers since 1988, the Aero's turbo is both oil and water cooled. In addition, the engine features reinforced alloy pistons that benefit from oil cooling jets at the base of the block that spray oil at the underside of each piston. The engine also features sturdier connecting rods, nitrided gudgeon pins and strengthened intake valves. To handle the heat, exhaust valves are made of Nimonic alloy - a high nickel content, heat-resistant alloy used in aircraft components subjected to high pressure and temperature, such as the exhaust nozzles in jet engines."

#4 ·
D.M said:
what i heared about engine is that rods slightly stronger on the short end different pistoons, and head valves on exhaust side is from different material niomic or somthing that handels more heat. red injectors on both models
note this is pre 2000 models r
I think the rods are all the same. Even if they aren't, they're still way sturdier than the pistons. And you're right that after 00 or 01, the niomic exhaust valves are standard.

Really, the only difference between a B235L and B235R is the software.

#5 ·
walmark said:
exhaust valves are made of Nimonic alloy - a high nickel content, heat-resistant alloy used in aircraft components subjected to high pressure and temperature, such as the exhaust nozzles in jet engines."
Puh-leeeze

#6 ·
Tailspin said:
Puh-leeeze
Marketeers eh???

Anyway most all the internal part numbers are the same, there have been many many many many many discussions on here about internal engine differences, but when you get to the EPC there are:

exhaust valve
the head itself (but that might be due to the differing exhaust valving)

All the bottom end are the same, it would be interesting to see what the head and valve differences are

There are a few external differences in early lpt to Aero manifold and sump but these seem like service elements not related to performance but if anyone wants to chime in do....

#7 ·
walmark said:
From what I know, B235L is physically exactly the same as B235R. The only difference is that it has "de-tuned" ECU to produce 220hp. The only thing it needs to achieve 250hp is a ECU tune. B235E would also need TD04."
I thought the B235L found in the 2.3T is running with the little GT17 lpt.

Have nothing to back this up, but was also wondering if the suffixes "E" and "L" has got to do with GM having a hand in the making of Saabs after 2004 / 2005, like using different materials and different contractors for the manufacture of engine internals.

I know the plastics/cosmetic bits in my 2005 car is not as good/nice to the touch, as those in my 2003 one. They even saved on the printing of the fuse legend on the fuse cover. So wouldn't surprise me if different, or rather cheaper or maybe greener materials are used in the engine bay as well.

Raven18940 said:
"Really, the only difference between a B235L and B235R is the software.."
And the B235E as well ???

And thanks guys for trying to answer my question.

#8 ·
And the B235E as well ???

And thanks guys for trying to answer my question.[/QUOTE]

No ,the B235E has a GT17 turbo with software to match. Both the L and the R have the larger TD04 turbo.

The L was 'developed' to fill the gap left by the old 3.0 lump.
P

#12 ·
will the B235L go into a B235E car

I have a bad shortblock in my 02 which takes a B235E engine.

will the B235L block go into this car with or without the head and intake. I suspect the software in the car may not work so I suspect the intake must be of the E engine. Will the L match up to the trans in my E car (automatic) Thanks

#13 ·
the L version available to me is complete. If I install it will all the plugs, wires, etc attach from my older car.

I would need to retune it.

or... should I put the E turbo on the L. Install the the intake and snorkel pipe from the E to the L.

any problems on the emission piping. The E is updated but I read the E pan has a pipe fitting for the drain. The L engine has a pipe fitting on the side of the block.

Could use the E pan and plug the pipe in the block of the L or maybe I can use all the L piping as installed on the L. Any problems attaching up top if manifold and snorkel are used from the E.

maybe forget he whole thing... any expert advice my friends

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.