SaabCentral Forums banner

Lightweight flywheel

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Chris 9-5 
#1 ·
Hi!
hunting for an uprated flywheel for the 9-5 (stock weighs a staggering 10.25kg/22.6lbs), I found only three options:
- M@ptun Lightweight balanced flywheel (actually a SPEC flywheel), and
- Abbott Racing Lightweight Billet Flywheel (product unique to Abbott Racing, has the starter ring gear machined as part of the flywheel). Weights some 7 kg (32% lighter), or
- Fidanza flywheels.

Any advices or feed-backs?

Many thanks!
Lucian

#3 ·
Buy a used saab one and have it lightened!

#4 ·
I did just that in my last rebuild have gotten the car back on the road now and its fabulous. No talling issues and it seems to "bog" less at the line, much easier to drive really seems to have lessened my turbo lag as well, spins rather quickly.

I was talking wth my engine builder and we agreed that 5-7 lbs off is good for these cars if you go too far you wont get the turbo to spool and it will sink on the line like jameswil says

#5 ·
I have an Abbott flywheel, and love it. If you are stage 5+, you will render 1st and 2nd gear useless, possibly some of 3rd also. I had a stage 4 tune originally with it, and 3rd gear is where it really hooked up. I am in the process of installing stage 5 now...

Where I noticed a big difference, is when you kick it down a gear. Cruising at say 50mph, and throwing it in 3rd. It seemed to rev much easier. I do about 90% of my driving on the highway, so 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear matter the most to me.

And I did not notice much of a difference with driveability on take-off. Haven't stalled it since the install. Very smooth, and I am pleased with it..

Although, you could save a pretty penny and have the original machined down.....

#6 ·
And I did not notice much of a difference with driveability on take-off. Haven't stalled it since the install. Very smooth, and I am pleased with it..
Yes same for me, certainly no stalling issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.