SaabCentral Forums banner

Driver door lock problem. Locking & Unlocking.

39K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  hjl24a 
#1 ·
Since I bought the car a few months ago, the drivers door lock has been quite temperamental. Sometimes it locks when the remote is pressed, sometimes it doesn't.

If it doesn't go down, I can fiddle with it up and down until it makes the actuator noise and goes down.

Once it is down and the actuator (lock/whatever it is) has gone down also, it will always come up when the button is pressed. It seems going down is the issue.

Can I take apart the door and fix this?
Or do I have to buy a whole new actuator/lock?

Thanks

#2 ·
I tired to take the passenger door lock apart but could not figure out how to put it back together since once I opened it a few pieces flew out before I could map out their location. Needless to say, I just ended up buying a new one (can't remember the price but will check invoice after work).

It is pretty simple to get to and get out however if you wanted to try yourself.

#4 ·
No matter what is used to unlock it..remote or door switch, the same thing happens. Sometimes it fires, and most the time it doesn't.

If it doesn't fire, I pull it up and down a couple times and it will then fire. I'm thinking maybe something isn't hooking up? Because the faster I push the little knob down, the more chance of it firing usually.

And it probably has something to do with the door latch. Tonight I was experimenting with the latch and clicking it in to place then using the handle to make it flip back, and everytime I did that it would work faultlessly for a couple open and closes... untill I opened and shut the door.. which suggests something disrupts it.

#7 ·
I have the same problem with my rear pass door. I find the cooler it is the less likely it will malfunction. A few questions for you:

1. Ever have your door handles replaced?
2. Ever have any type of door work done? Accident, window replacement...?
3. I didnt notice but has your SID ever said lock system failure?
4. When it doesnt work do all the other doors lock but your parking lamps dont flash?

I am fully placing the blame of this problem on the replaced door handles. Usually when an electric item fails, it fails completely and/or makes a noise doing so. Alot of cars when their door lock actuators fail will buzz loudly. I am thinking there is binding in the door lock assembly which is causing the intermittent failure.

#8 ·
1. Ever have your door handles replaced? Not sure, haven't has the car for long!

2. Ever have any type of door work done? Accident, window replacement...? Again, don't think so!

3. I didnt notice but has your SID ever said lock system failure? When the lock fails to pop up on its own, it does sometimes say 'lock system failure'. But only sometimes!

4. When it doesnt work do all the other doors lock but your parking lamps dont flash? Yep that happens!

I'm still not sure as to what the problem is, but I feel something might not be connecting all the time. I want to take it apart to have a look, but if I screw things up it will be a nightmare.

#9 ·
Classic door lock motor failure. I have 2 that currently display similar behaviour (unfortunately both on the same side!).

You can sometimes hear the motor wirring, trying to move the lock. Unfortunately the motor is integral with the latch and the thing isn't designed to be opened up (it's just a black plastic box).

Complete door latch replacement is the cure I'm afraid, and they aren't cheap!

#10 ·
You can sometimes hear the motor wirring, trying to move the lock. Unfortunately the motor is integral with the latch and the thing isn't designed to be opened up (it's just a black plastic box).
Thats just the thing mine doesnt make any noise... I wouldnt rule out that the motor is weak and failing though. I just dont want to throw parts at a problem and still not fix it.

#11 ·
Fantastic. :cry:
I assume several cars would have the same latch mechanism from the GM parts bin. I think the Vectra and the Signum share the same mechanism, and probably 20 other American cars.

The trouble is finding out what cars use this same part? Anyone know?

#19 ·
Central door locking mechanism explained on you tube vid

Hi, and I found this video on you tube extremely helpful. My saab 9-3, 1999, four door, sometimes locks or unlocks on the driver side with the key (key fob battery was sold with car but doesn't work) and always makes a 'struggling' sound 2 or 3 times before it stops.

Or, it will lock or unlock from the passenger side front door.

This video explains how two or three door lock actuators are 'slaves' of the primary door lock mechanism.

I believe it's the actuator on my driver side that's to blame, as the other doors will all lock or unlock, but not predictably the driver door itself, which seems 'stuck' and 'struggling'.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5o704Uh1hJc

How Central Door Lock Actuators and Relays Work.

Best to you all. I picked up an actuator used at a wrecking yard and will give it a go for self repair, posting the results. :cool:

#20 ·
No, in this case I don't think replacing actuator will work. I spent 370 for replacing drivers side actiator, they found out it was not the actuator because the SAME problem occured the SAME manner. mine work perfect on the winter and it does not work on the summer. I can not hear any motor sound at all. it seems like rod is not coming up because when I pull the knob I feel no click or resistance like the passenger's side knob. do not replace the actuator yet. there are $70 dollars good condition actuator on eBay and it is easy to replace by your self, if you don't loose parts ;-)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.