SaabCentral Forums banner

Clutch master cylinder diagram/pictures

24K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  girovago 
#1 ·
Does anyone have good schematics of the clutch master cylinder? I bought the Scantech rebuild kit and it seems to have two extra pieces. Also, I am trying to find out which of the rubber fittings is the check valve/plunger?

I am fighting with mine for quite a few days/weeks and just cannot see what I am doing wrong...

#6 ·
Rebuilding the master cylinder was the easy part bleeding the clutch was a nightmare! Theres a guide on fixmysaab.com I did it by taking the master cylinder out though so I could check and clean it properly I just undid the hydraulic hose, removed the fluid feed pipe then all you need to do is remove the pin from the clutch pedal and the 2 nuts and out it comes

#8 ·
Ok, how I manage to finally bleed the bloody clutch system. I decided to, since Saab made airplanes, I might as well try bleeding it the same way we do airplanes. So, reverse bleeding I did:

And, that seemed to have worked. Man! I learned my lesson: if I ever have to bleed the clutch again, this is the way I will do it. Now, I just have to find out why I do not have 5th and reverse since I changed the transmission mount. But, that is another episode.

#9 ·
That "extra piece" in the rebuild kit actually helps the master cylinder seals work better (well it is in itself a seal). It goes on the end of the rod, after you put the first seal on, it's like a "cap" with a washer underneath. Then, you can see by pressing on it that when pressure is applied, the seal pushes outward, increasing pressure against the master cylinder wall.

#11 ·
saab 9000 Clutch Master cylinder rebuilding

Hello. Continuing, after some years, with this issue, I guess someone will have found the solution, no? I am now with this: changing my pump seals clutch. I do not know the job that I can give those extra pieces. Especially this larger, I find no way to make it go, I do not know exactly in what position. Is anyone kind enough to have solved the problem. Many thanks if anyone responds. Greetings from Spain.

#12 ·
Hello. Continuing, after some years, with this issue, I guess someone will have found the solution, no? I am now with this: changing my pump seals clutch. I do not know the job that I can give those extra pieces. Especially this larger, I find no way to make it go, I do not know exactly in what position. Is anyone kind enough to have solved the problem. Many thanks if anyone responds. Greetings from Spain.
I bought the Scantech master cylinder repair kit from PFS. Mine, too, had extra parts (but not the same extra parts as yours!)

I used the ones I needed (the two seals and the brass(?) washer), and didn't use the rest. I believe that there is an earlier master cylinder which is slightly different, and as the Scantech seal kit is sold as an 83 to 94 kit, I assumed that the extra parts were for different master cylinders?

Can anyone confirm that there are different clutch master cylinders?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.