SaabCentral Forums banner

Proud New Saab Owner

1K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  DeafSaab 
#1 · (Edited)
I finally got THE CAR. 2003 9-5 Aero 106k. Guess the price? If you get it right, you may fix my SID. :lol:

Here it goes, I met up with the owner at a Burger King which was odd but i assume the owner didn't feel safe having someone coming by his house. (found it on CL) Anyway, once I saw it coming, I got excited, looked closer, the poor thing looked all beat up, damaged front bumper with missing headlight cleaners, the damage came from a truck backing up, you could tell by the square hitch. The missing headlight cleaners/washer were ripped off by kids, says the owner. The paint has some chips, cracks, and scratches, scratches, scratches. The owner only had it for 4 months, said it was for his wife and she wanted newer one. So I couldn't give the owner a dirty look for the way the car looked. The interior looked great, nothing damaged except for some marks on the ceiling. Of course the SID is all messed up.

Looked under the hood, looking... looking.... looks good (gasp) oh no... no PCV #6 update. I didn't let it bother me till we take it for a test drive.

Away we go for a test drive, The thing felt good, no smoke, the brakes felt spongy, needs brakes. Couldn't tell if the engine ran right cuz I am Deaf so I just followed my gut and my sense of feel with my hands and feet. Got back to Burger King, got out and looked hard and thought hard. Said to myself, I can fix this baby up and give it some love. Gave my offer and he accepted. Whoo hoo!!!! Best price ever!!

Man, I was so nervous when I handed that cash, and had to drive the thing home from Philly to Jersey, praying to the Saab Gods that the car doesn't break down on route 95. Success!! I couldn't stop smiling after i got it home. Whew!! I did notice something during the drive home, at one point when I was testing the response from 50 to 75, it started to rev after 75 and not increasing speed. I was thinking, oh no, please not the tranny.

I brought the car over to my mechanic to have a quick look over and check for codes, I got nervous again. Whoo hoo no codes!! but tranny fluid was SO BLACK, tranny flush, indeed, helped the hard shifting. Found a bit of a oil leak around the oil pan. the pan will be coming down next week for a check up. Please please please no sludge!!

It moves good and does need some work. Headlights are flickering, will look up for threads for a fix also the trunk won't open from the button and key. yes the wiring is damaged.

Can't wait to get it all fixed up and see what that "bolt" does to my car. (Finding that lost boost) :D

So there, that's my story as a first time Saab owner. Wish me Luck!

Attachments

See less See more
#14 ·
I would just to play it safe.

When you drop the sump, post pics so we can see how it looks.
I most certainly will.

First easy fix: lift the rear seat and remove the cover to the fuel pump.

With all the wiring connections on top, push them into pace and make sure they are firmly connected (with the engine off and key out of ignition).

I have this same problem every few months and this fixes it.

However, it could be several other problems with a harder fix.

If my suggestion does not do the trick, use the search feature for options.
Ok I'll try that today after the mother day fest ends. Thanks.

#15 ·
Fuel gauge fickleness is a common problem. Most commonly it's caused by loose gas tank baffles. There are plastic baffles in the tank to prevent the gas from sloshing around too much, these can become dislodged and interfere with the float.
Sometimes it just goes away by itself, but I notice it especially when I let the fuel get super low and refuel.

#17 ·
[QUOTE said:
New problem, I just topped her off with fuel, now the fuel gauge doesn't work:cry:
Not a problem just an annoyance. You over-filled the tank and the fuel sending units do not like over-fill situations as they age. Drive it a while and the gauge will start working again.

And never top off the tank when filling. :nono;

#18 ·
Not a problem just an annoyance. You over-filled the tank and the fuel sending units do not like over-fill situations as they age. Drive it a while and the gauge will start working again. And never top off the tank when filling. :nono;[/quote said:
Lesson learned. New Jersey doesn't allow you to pump gas from the station
so I told the attendant to fill her up, I kept my eye on the meter and started to get worried when it wouldn't stop pumping so i jumped out and looked underneath to see if fuel was coming out like my old ford explorer did. It stopped at 51 bucks of premium. ouch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.