SaabCentral Forums banner

Hey, new to saabs, have a couple of Q's

479 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Jazzin 
#1 ·
First off, hello everyone. I am currently shopping for a car, and one that I was considering was the Saab 9-3. I just had a few questions that I hoped could be answered by actual owners. First off, what is the reliability like on these cars? The few I am looking at have around 50-70k miles on them. I only drive about 200 miles a month, or about 2400 miles a year, so I won't be putting much strain on the car, except perhaps the occasional roadtrip up to Michigan to visit family and friends. I would just like it to last at least as long as I am paying for it. Also, is the gas mileage decent? Ha, as in above 15 mpg (what I get now-92 Merc grand marquis)? From what I have seen, the hp ratings on these cars are quite decent, especially for the class and price. I am used to a lot of torque and good performance, does the 9-3 deliver? Other than that, any advice you could give would be very appreciated. Thanks.

#2 ·
I am on my fourth. Two 9-3's and two 9-5's. My favorite was the 2002 9-3 SE.

The post 2003 9-3's just don't cut it for me. My feeling is that if the car was well maintained it is as realiable as any car. Certainly better than a mercury.

That said, there do appear to be some cars out there which are just bad. I would absolutely look for a complete service history. You will tell right away if the car was looked after or whether it had several problems.

The 9-3 SE IMHO looks better and performs better. It's like a 10 HP difference - but noticeable. If you are coming out of a Rear drive car, the change you will notice is dramatic. The torque is good - but if you are not careful the torque steer could rip the wheel right from your hands.

The car feels like more of a "top power" car rather than a low end torque type. But I find it more than powerful enough in all conditions.

It is wonderful in the rain and snow. Way Way better than a rear drive car.

Dealers costs are more expensive than some, but if you are a decent DIY type - the car is easier than expected to work on.

I am sure others will have more to say.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.